Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Toasted Sandwiches...Tasty but Messy!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I like toasted sandwiches. I think they are fucking tasty. But why is it so difficult to get the amount of filling in relation to the size of the sandwich correct, with out causing a cheese overflow situation? :banghead:

These situations are not good as I hate toasted sandwich machines – they must be some of the most irritating things to clean up ever and the bread is always too long to fit in them properly.

N.B. Toasted Sandwich making companies - bread is not square! :eek2:

I used to have quite a good one but someone broke it one night I had a party by trying to cook eggs on it.

If anyone know the secret formula to creating a very good toasted sandwich does not create much mess it would be greatly appreciated! ;)

Comments

• Options
    lol :D

who are you btw? have you had a name change?
  • Options
    I've not had a name change, haven't been on here in agesssss tho! :thumb:
  • Options
    The best bread for sandwich toasters is Costcutter Family loaf thick sliced, but Tescos own works ok. Just have to remember not to fill it too much, and butter on the outside of the bread makes it soggy, so just do it dry. Yum.
  • Options
    oooh another lincolnshire person, where abouts are you from?
  • Options
    I hate that too. Dried up bean juice is a bastard to clean up!

They should invent one with a built in steam-cleaner action!!
  • Options
    Cheese & Ham / Cheese & Onion toasted sandwiches :D:yum:
  • Options
    Mr Maypoo wrote:

N.B. Toasted Sandwich making companies - bread is not square! :eek2:

How have they not figured this out yet!
  • Options
    A Kingsmill square loaf is square.
  • Options
    butter on the outside of the bread makes it soggy, so just do it dry. Yum.

Incorrect.
  • Options
    all normal bread fits in my sandwich toaster....hmmm

i usually butter the outside, makes it go more golden and crispy, not too much filling...cheese and beans usually mmmm

cook until nicely toasted and boom, eat it. leave it a couple of minutes first tho, because the filling will be hotter than the SUN!
  • Options
    Mr Maypoo wrote:
    I've not had a name change, haven't been on here in agesssss tho! :thumb:

Wasn't you Toadborg though?
  • Options
    Mr Maypoo wrote:
    I like toasted sandwiches. I think they are fucking tasty. But why is it so difficult to get the amount of filling in relation to the size of the sandwich correct, with out causing a cheese overflow situation? :banghead:

I know what you mean about chees, which is why I swtched to mince like you have in mince pies... tastes great... :yum:
  • Options
    Toastie bags, which means you can have cheese and bean toastys which are just yummy.
  • Options
    We do ours in our George Forman and it does nicer than in a sandwich toaster.
  • Options
    lea_uk wrote:
    We do ours in our George Forman and it does nicer than in a sandwich toaster.

Ditto!

I get a kick out of grill marks on bread :hyper:
  • Options
    So how do you do these george forman style? I have one, so step by step instructions and I shall see if I can master it. I have: bread, butter, beans and cheese :yum:

Was thinking beans on toast, but if a bean toastie crops up it might be a more interesting alternative!
  • Options
    So how do you do these george forman style? I have one, so step by step instructions and I shall see if I can master it. I have: bread, butter, beans and cheese :yum:

Was thinking beans on toast, but if a bean toastie crops up it might be a more interesting alternative!

Just put the ingredients on a bread slice. Shove another slice of bread over it. Close and then keep checking on it so that it doesn't burn =)
  • Options
    Y'all need a sandwich maker. It crimps the sides down on the bread so things don't squirt out the side. Completly mess free. and crimps down the center, diagonally, so you can eat it in two. I used to make pizza sandwiches, those were myfavorite :yum:

ETA: http://www.cuisinart.com/catalog/product.php?product_id=74&item_id=122&cat_id=16
  • Options
    We do have those, but some are better than others at sealing the edges. The one I have atm is a pile of poo.
  • Options
    Good toasted sandwich idea: cheese & leftover bolognaise - it is lush! :yum:
  • Options
    oooh another lincolnshire person, where abouts are you from?

Live between Grantham and Boston, wat bout u?
  • Options
    Mr Maypoo wrote:
    Live between Grantham and Boston, wat bout u?

Ditto. I got a toasted sandwich machine for christmas last year and I have used it once! Was a nice sandwich, cheese and worcester sauce, but the clean up operation took forever afterwards. Nightmare, so I haven't used it since! :shocking:
  • Options
    Saturday morning they showed you how to do a toasted sandwhich in a frying pan, it looked lush!
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote:
    Saturday morning they showed you how to do a toasted sandwhich in a frying pan, it looked lush!

I saw that! Looked nice didnt it! ooooo.... you're one post shy of hitting 10,000!
  • Options
    Xinam wrote:
    I saw that! Looked nice didnt it! ooooo.... you're one post shy of hitting 10,000!
    Let's have a partaaayyyy!!!!!

Yeah was that show about food to eat in front of a movie?
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote:
    Let's have a partaaayyyy!!!!!

Yeah was that show about food to eat in front of a movie?

I think it was something like that yes. All this talk of food is making me hungry.... got no cheese though, was going to have another bash at the old tosted sandwich machine. Would ham work...?:yum:
  • Options
    I have ham toasties
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote:
    I have ham toasties

Just eaten mine! I had to make the bread square first though, so it fitted in the toastie thing properly. Plenty of butter and 2 big slices of ham.... deeeelicious! :yes:
  • Options
    No tomato?! Criminal!
  • Options
    vinylvicky wrote:
    No tomato?! Criminal!

I can't stand tomatoes! :yuck: Always end up giving them 2 huge tomato slices from my Big Tasty™ to her indoors! Just looked on the Maccys website, and it says the Big Tasty™ comes with bacon now! Well thats lunch sorted.