Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The firework "humbug" thread

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
People are setting off fireworks in the tiny courtyard outside my flat. I'm very unimpressed, and don't feel safe. I hate fireworks, ever since my vicar died at a school firework display when one didn't go off and he went back to it (I think; I was very young at the time).

I just want to hide under the kitchen table and wait for it to go away.

Am I the only one who hates firework night?

Comments

• Options
    I love fireworks displays as long as they are organised, even then things can still go wrong. What i object to is the use of fireworks for seemingly months on end. Divali, bonfire night, christmas, new year the list goes on! And is it me or are they getting louder?!
  • Options
    Yeah, I can deal with organised ones although I tend not to go unless there's a big group going or something - haven't been to one since school. It's the fact that some random people have just decide to have a spontaneous display that's bugging me. Maybe I'm jealous!

Still... *hides*
  • Options
    I love fireworks but they scare me a little bit because when I was younger, one went wrong and flew into me. Luckily I had a very thick jacket and got it off quick enough.
  • Options
    I got hit by a firework one year, on the leg. It bounced of my jeans and I stepped backwards and fell over a Barbie scooter :impissed:

The next year my sister (I think it was) poked me with a sparkler which stuck to my thumb, which was quite painful.

Fireworks are good in general though :)
  • Options
    I hated them when I was younger! Still not keen on them now but they have been going off since about 5 around here and are still going off now.
  • Options
    I don't mind them, but something I do HATE with a passion is those fire lit torches in the processions, I hate how people are so irresponsible with them, they just scare me!
  • Options
    They're alright I suppose, lose their novelty as you get older.

Roman Candle fights back in the day where the best though! :cool:
  • Options
    as we were walking to my friends house last night my boyf n i got caught in the crossfire between some rival gangs throwing fireworks, it was damn scary and we got out of the way hell damn fast.
  • Options
    Feckin' day too early. Fuckwits.
  • Options
    I dont usually mind them, but my puppy just had her operation yesterday, so its keeping her awake.

My local Danson park has put on a good display though.
  • Options
    i like them but only on fireworks night/new year.
  • Options
    Organised displays all the way.

Hate little shits who set them off in the streets though, it's like Baghdad out there justnow.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Feckin' day too early. Fuckwits.

Word. I like good ones, but I hate little fuckwits playing with them in the street and shit. Have them in your garden, a field, whatever. Don't throw them, don't fuck with 'em, don't set 'em off in the street. Simple.

I am getting some tomorow. Pack of 5 rockets = £5!

+ 1 RC car made into mobile launcher + field = well, hopefull it will work. Either that or the car will be destroyed! Either way, amusment will result.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I don't like 'home' firework displays. I really hate them. There are loads going off at the moment, my cats are scared and I am getting fed up of them going off here, there and everywhere.

Me no likey.
  • Options
    i dont mind organised displays although i tend not to go, but i hate home firework displays. nothing's ever gone wrong for me personally but every year you hear horror stories. and i'm just paranoid about them in general.
  • Options
    I shall humbug too, even though I went out to an organised display this evening. I went for the social activity, the fireworks themselves were just an additional extra I could have done without really.
  • Options
    I've volunteered/worked as a steward at big displays for about the last 7 years, I like big displays and I like fireworks, I just don't like daft people who are tupid and dangerous with them.

Got attacked one year when I was working by some drunk eejits who had brought rockets to the display and thought it would be fun to fire them at us.... Not impressed, but neither were they when the police caught them.
  • Options
    I LOVE fireworks, but it's pissed me off how they've been going off all last week. Even last night was a bit daft, which is why we're doing ours tonight.

(I must admit, when everyones were going off last night I wanted to go and stand and watch them from a hill just down the road from me - you can see really far across the town and all around you, fireworks are going off everywhere, it's brilliant.)
  • Options
    Well I was painting my bathroom last night, had the window open so I didn't get overpowered from the fumes.

Last night with the window open, sounded like an iraq'i warzone for about an hour and a half.
  • Options
    I've got a headache and it sounds like the blitz is going on outside.
  • Options
    I think more people set theirs off last night rather then tonight.
  • Options
    There's still lots going off round here. I bet Kaffrin can hear them too :p
  • Options
    Hopefully they won't let them go off for much longer...
  • Options
    i just drove from home to uni and i drive through the countryside and little villages. was really pretty seeing the fireworks going off in the distance. :D
  • Options
    I've heard a lot more tonight than I did last night, excluding the display I was at.
  • Options
    I. Hate. Fireworks.

My dog is fucking terrified, and if they keep going on for much longer, I'm not gonna get enough sleep because she'll be so restless and meh.

Fucking fireworks.
  • Options
    There's only a few going off now. From the moment it went dark to about 8pm it sounded like a warzone.
  • Options
    There's still lots going off round here. I bet Kaffrin can hear them too :p

'Hear' is probably not the right word. They are so close they are making my window rattle :grump:
  • Options
    Dunno if it is the same everywhere else, but while driving tonight was like driving through fog due to all the bombfires, and the smoke really irritates my eyes. So that was no fun:no:
  • Options
    Don't like ones that people have at home. Sparklers are as daring as I'd go on Firework Night. Altho, I did go the a public display last night but stood vvvvvvvvvvv far away.