Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Idiot Drivers

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    nicx1811 wrote:
    - Slam my brakes on, stop half on the roundabout and half into the road, causing the stupid driver to crash into me, and possibly causing more accidents. Fail for causing a crash and an obstruction.

If he was cutting you up then braking on would not cause him to crash into you surely?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    A lot of it is just luck. Yeah, there will be some unavoidable situations on the test, just like there will be in "real life" too. Will you fail because of other people? Yes, because there are other people on the road. They won't vanish after the test finishes either, unfortunately.
  • Options
    My first fail I got because I was turning left a T junction, someone had parked opposite, i look right, and am about to pull away when I look to see someone passing this parked car on the wrong side of the road. So I shift to the brake just after my examiner did. Fuck. My fault, but it's illegal to park opposite a junction.
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    If he was cutting you up then braking on would not cause him to crash into you surely?

Yep, I had to move out of the way (thus swerving) as he attempted to cut me up because he'd never of got through the gap. Even if HE didn't though, it's a busy roundabout I would have been obstructing, so still a fail
  • Options
    Sadly there are shits on the road in real life, and everyone stops being nice when you lose you're L plates. It took me several attempts to pass, usually failing for driving for real life rather than to pass a test but there we go, the system is never going to be perfect.

But over 4 tests I racked up a grand total of 11 faults:angel:
  • Options
    Are you kidding?! I got treated ten times better when I lost my plates.
  • Options
    Sadly there are shits on the road in real life, and everyone stops being nice when you lose you're L plates.

NOone around here is nice when you have L plates anyway :(
  • Options
    When I had those green P plates people treated my like shit too, so I don't recommend them, people are nicer when they think you're "normal grown up driver"
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    My first fail I got because I was turning left a T junction, someone had parked opposite, i look right, and am about to pull away when I look to see someone passing this parked car on the wrong side of the road. So I shift to the brake just after my examiner did. Fuck. My fault, but it's illegal to park opposite a junction.

:yes:

But it's not illegal to overtake.

I've been overtaking a car before when somebody's pulled out of their driveway and turned left after only looking to their right - putting them course for a head on collision with me. I had brake suddenly and pull back behind the car I was overtaking.

It's is easy to forget, but it's important that you look left as well as right when turning left.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Oh yeah, totally. I was looking, and there was no way I would have hit them. It's just she went for the dual controls before I got to mine. *shrugs* I've got my licence now.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Oh yeah, totally. I was looking, and there was no way I would have hit them. It's just she went for the dual controls before I got to mine. *shrugs* I've got my licence now.
    I don't see why the examiners are even allowed to touch the dual controls tbh. If you take your test in your own car, they don't have them, and it's not the examiners car. If you're about to slam into something and the examiner emergency stops a split-second before you do, you'd fail. That's not fair, because there's no way they could say that you were going to hit it. Oh, and technically, if you emergency stop and someone ploughs into the back of you, it's technically their fault for following too closely, but you get a fail for not checking your mirrors before you brake. How many times do you check your mirrors and see a dickhead right up your arse. What are you supposed to do? Just carry in into whatever it is you're braking for? Like most other things run by the government, there's just no common sense at all. You end up learning to pass a test rather than learning to drive a car properly.
  • Options
    Fact. I learned to pass, and I learned to drive, and they're quite different. Not lots different, but different enough.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Fact. I learned to pass, and I learned to drive, and they're quite different. Not lots different, but different enough.

True.

The way you learn to pass teaches a standard that you need to drive on the road and sets you up for learning to drive properly yourself. IMO.
    For instance it's so strict on using your mirrors. In everyday life you don't need to check your mirrors after every gear change ffs, but it does get you into the good habit of actually using your mirrors at all.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    There's definitely a difference between learning to pass a test and driving in general life, but you kind of hope that the people have the sense to take the ideal you need for the test and apply it sensibly to real life.

If they don't have the dual controls and they think that you should be braking they can always go for the handbrake, and as when you take your test you don't hold a full license the examiner is the one supervising you so has some responsibility for braking too.
  • Options
    If they don't have the dual controls and they think that you should be braking they can always go for the handbrake

But if your going at speed that isn't a bright idea. Not only would it not slow the car effectively, it could quite easilly put the car out of control.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I am very aware that it isn't the best plan in many situations (as I'm sure are the examiners), I was trying to make the point that examiners using the dual controls on dual controlled cars doesn't put people taking tests in them vs normal cars at any disadvantage.
  • Options
    I nearly crashed on my second ever lesson because som ewhitevan twat pulled out from a turning right in fromt of me. And I failed last time because some twat didnt signal on a roundabout, and I went to pull out and I nearly hit him.
  • Options
    And I failed last time because some twat didnt signal on a roundabout, and I went to pull out and I nearly hit him.

That'd be your fault tho.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    That'd be your fault tho.

Aye. And that test should have taught the lesson that people don't know how to signal on roundabouts.

I never rely on people signalling, I look where their car is going. I might take a signal into account, but if someone looks like they are going straight on whilst signalling left, I'll assume they're a numpty and wait. Better than driving out and being t-boned.
  • Options
    I was driving t'other day, this cunt reversed out right infront of me without looking and i had to emergency stop, pissed me right off (but in retrospect had a crash occured i would've been able to get a few bits on my car fixed up :))
  • Options
    Lol, i sometimes feel like that about my car.

I failed my first test because i hit a kerb doing my reverse around a corner, second time i passed. My sister just failed because someone cut her up and before she had a chance to brake the examiner did it for her. It's an automatic fail if they feel that they have to use any controls, which is a shame because they will be doing everything automatically whereas a new driver will still be thinking about any actions they take.
  • Options
    But it's not necessarily a bad thing that you can't get a full license and drive alone until you can do things like that pretty much automatically.

It does scare me how inexperienced some people are, even when they pass a test.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    I never rely on people signalling, I look where their car is going. I might take a signal into account, but if someone looks like they are going straight on whilst signalling left, I'll assume they're a numpty and wait. Better than driving out and being t-boned.

There only one thing you should 'assume' when driving, and that's that every other cunt on the road is going to do something stupid. Expect the worse, be aware of what the cars in front of the car you're imiediately behind are doing.

Being aware and prepared are the two thing you need to be when driving.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    nicx1811 wrote:
    Why?! Why do people insist on driving like twats when there's a car with an L plate in front and go to extreme lengths to get past.

I thought for the actual test they remove the L plates so you're just like any other car on the road? I'm sure they removed them for my test.
  • Options
    I thought for the actual test they remove the L plates so you're just like any other car on the road? I'm sure they removed them for my test.

I don't remember that happening. In any case, a lot of learner vehicles have permanently fixed markings on them.
  • Options

Nope, definitely not. You MUST wear L plates until you are a fully licensed driver.
  • Options

:no: Unfortunetly not, you need more on your car for your test than you actually do learning.

The car I learn in has one on the back, one on the front (somewhere... I'm not entirely sure) and a little "hat" on top of it with some on it.

It then has "A+ DRIVING SCHOOL" scrawled over the side of it, so adding that to the fact that it's a bright yellow mini, I stick out like a sore thumb on the roads :D

And to whoever said about the P plates (can't remember now, sorry!) I know what you mean. My mate had P plates and she was forever almost in accidentsas people tried to get out f her because they figured she wouldn't know what she's doing (she's actually a great driver). Me and her nearly died on a roundabout thanks to someone deicding he wasn't going to give way to the P plate driver.

Minute she took them off, no one turns a blind eye. (We literally pulled over and got them ff straight after the roundabout incident) Either the first 3 weeks in that car we were surrounded by wankers, and now they've all disappeared, or they were aiming for the P plate.
  • Options
    P plates are silly anyway :P
  • Options
    I think it's mainly that people are wankers rather than the P/L plates. They can't just cause trouble otherwise insurance companies wouldn't go for them.

As for the accident thing, young drivers are kind of cursed as everyone will think it's their fault, whether or not they have P plates.