Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Idiot Drivers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Why?! Why do people insist on driving like twats when there's a car with an L plate in front and go to extreme lengths to get past.

I've just failed my driving test AGAIN because some bastard in a stupid looking car decided to follow me the whole way round the roundabout, then at the last minute, cut me up so he could speed off in front of me, causing me to have to swerve into another lane. Obviously, I failed for causing danger to the cars that may have been going into that lane (there weren't any but I see their logic).

Thing is - why follow me aorund the whole sodding roundabout then go mental driver on me at the last minute!?! I had got FIVE MINORS up to that point. FIVE. The least I've accumulated so far has been 14, so that is as good as I'mgoing to get. I'm a very nervous driver/passenger in cars after a serious accident, so anywhere around 10-14 is good for me (especially since I'm apprehensive about national speed limit roads.)

But GAH! If he hadn't of done that I might have got one or two more minors and that'd of been that. But OH MY GOD.

Rant over (sorry)

Comments

• Options
    the more expensive the car, the more arrogant the driver i usually find - and it's usually a guy in a suit. Or maybe that's just me.

unless it's a spotty chav in an old banger :p
  • Options
    That's life, sometimes the examiner will fail you regardless of what you do.

I failed because of a taxi driver...
  • Options
    aparrantly the schools have to fail a certain number each year :confused:
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    If thats true I want solid proof before taking my test. :yes:
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:

That's not quite true. There isn't a fixed quota system.

However if an examiner passes too many people, or fails too many people, then he gets examined again to make sure he's doing his job properly. So they do effectively end up failing people to protect themselves.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    the more expensive the car, the more arrogant the driver i usually find - and it's usually a guy in a suit.

:yes: A 56 plate stupid looking car with a suited bloke in it. Grrrr.

I've failed 3 times now, and ALL OF THEM were due to other people. My examiners have even admitted it. Gah.. Can't win.
  • Options
    I failed because of a) a transit van and b) a transit van. Neither of them were moving, but that is not the point. I still maintain that on both occasions there was PLENTY OF ROOM and no need for interference on the examiner's behalf.
  • Options
    nicx1811 wrote:
    :yes: A 56 plate stupid looking car with a suited bloke in it. Grrrr.

I've failed 3 times now, and ALL OF THEM were due to other people. My examiners have even admitted it. Gah.. Can't win.

It may be other people that create the situation, but it's how you deal with it that will pass or fail you the test. Unlucky but true.
  • Options
    My instructor told me that someone managed to pass their test because they spend the whole duration in a traffic jam, and didn't move the whole time. They had to pass him because he did nothing wrong, and did everything the examiner told him. Driving tests are bullshit. They're the only exam you'll ever do where you can fail because of someone else. But there's enough wankers on our roads that I'm hopefully used to them by now.
  • Options
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    sophia wrote:
    But that's kind of the point, isn't it? If you could take your driving test when there was not a single other car on the road most people would pass, but that wouldn't test whether you're a safe driver or not as you wouldn't have been tested in any potentially dangerous situations.

The fact is there will always be wankers on the road, and the test is to find out whether you are able to respond safely to the stupid things they do. In Nikki's case, she failed to respond safely to the arsehole who cut her up, because she swerved into another lane and endangered other people. It wasn't her fault he cut her up, but she could still have passed her test if she'd responded to it safely.

innit. :yes:
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    But sometimes whatever evasive/mergency action you take will result in a fail. Very probably if she hadn't swerved she would have been failed for failing to take evasive action. It's too easy to say that its the examined's fault for failing.
  • Options
  • Options
    It amazing how many people fail because of somebody else on the road.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    It's just bad luck.

Reacting properly to other people driving like twats is, IMO, a skill you perfect only after you've passed. If there is an instructor in the car with you, they take control of the situation, and it's only when you're out on the road on your own that you get used to thinking for yourself and thinking quickly. It's experience as much as owt else.

Better luck next time, anyway :)
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    But sometimes whatever evasive/mergency action you take will result in a fail. Very probably if she hadn't swerved she would have been failed for failing to take evasive action. It's too easy to say that its the examined's fault for failing.

:yes:

And if she'd have slammed on the brakes she'd probably have had a major for braking without checking her mirrors!
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    And if she'd have slammed on the brakes she'd probably have had a major for braking without checking her mirrors!

?

You don't a major for not checking your mirrors with an emergencey stop.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Unlucky, Nic. You'll have to come out in a car with me sometime, I'll show you how it's done properly ;).
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    ?

I did. They didn't count it as an emergency stop, although it was blatantly an emergency-slow-down-lots-to-avoid-crazy-man. :mad:
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    ?

My sister in law got a major for checking her mirrors doing the reverse around a corner, so fuck knows what goes through examiners' minds.

Quite often when some cunt carves you up you will fail whatever you do.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    My sister in law got a major for checking her mirrors doing the reverse around a corner, so fuck knows what goes through examiners' minds.

She'll have been failed for not looking in the direction the car was moving - you're supposed to be looking behind you whilst reversing. Basic road sense.
  • Options
    She'll have been failed for not looking in the direction the car was moving - you're supposed to be looking behind you whilst reversing. Basic road sense.

My instructor gets me to use mirrors to reverse round a corner.. is this wrong then, should I be looking out of the back window? :(
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Its just the luck of the day im afraid babes, im so sorry you failed though :(
    I failed coz of a cyclist, I have never forgiven that little old man since!
    I agree with Kermit and Kaffrin though, I dont think there was anything you could have done. But you will get there in the end, i promise!
    xx
  • Options

Not always though, you should be using your mirrors to judge road position and to ensure you don't miss things in blind spots.
  • Options
    Some drivers are cunts. I was having a lesson once and was driving up this really long road thats on a slope when a police car sirens blazing came up from behind, i pulled over as did the other drivers behind me, cars gone past so off i set again when some dickhead decides he's going to drive on the wrong side of the road and overtake about 5 cars so i thought fuck this, sped up and wouldnt let him in again. The look on his face when he realised i didnt give a shit if he slammed into an oncoming car was rather nice to see as was the embarrasment in his eyes when he dropped back until someone let him in.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    icey wrote:
    Some drivers are cunts. I was having a lesson once and was driving up this really long road thats on a slope when a police car sirens blazing came up from behind, i pulled over as did the other drivers behind me, cars gone past so off i set again when some dickhead decides he's going to drive on the wrong side of the road and overtake about 5 cars so i thought fuck this, sped up and wouldnt let him in again. The look on his face when he realised i didnt give a shit if he slammed into an oncoming car was rather nice to see as was the embarrasment in his eyes when he dropped back until someone let him in.
    :lol: and i bet he was even more shocked as you were a learner! i truly hate cheeky drivers! i have been waiting in a queue for 20 mins, dont think just because you have come speeding down next to me im going to let you in, you can wait there and look like a prick!
  • Options
    I've done a search on failed driving tests and it's amazing how many people blame their failure on somebody else on the road.

I failed first time at was my fault, didn't check my mirrors enough. Second time I took the wrong exit of a roundabout, and the test went on an extra 10 mins. I still passed however because my driving was fine.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    It's not always justified to blame someone else, but it quite often is.

I failed first time because a taxi came flying out of a long driveway when I was doing the turn in the road in a leafy suburb. I waited to let him go but failed because I should have moved; if I'd moved I'd have been failed because I didn't wait where I was.
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    Well my understanding of it, though I could be wrong, is that you're never meant to swerve, as it's dangerous. What you are supposed to do is brake, but never swerve. Could be wrong though.

I don't know, but she did tell me no matter what ever evasive action I'd of taken I would have failed.

Technically, my options were:

- Swerve into the other lane (where there were no cars, incidentally) to get off of the roundabout and out of the way of the car. Fail for causing obstruction and possible accidents in the other lane.

- Slam my brakes on, stop half on the roundabout and half into the road, causing the stupid driver to crash into me, and possibly causing more accidents. Fail for causing a crash and an obstruction.

Couldn't win. :)
  • Options
    i accidentally bumped into the back of a learner driver on his way to his driving test (obviously i didn't know this at the time!). was waiting behind him at a busy junction and when there was a space he moved to wait into the central reservation. there was a small gap on my side and a gap on his side and he started to move off. i did so too but a bit faster than him and he stalled! (for the second or third time). the driver pulled over and put his hazards on so i pulled up behind and apologised (yes silly i know, my mum was like 'lucy!'). no damage was done thank god and the instructor was lovely. i hope he passed his test. :(