Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

murder of Joe

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
have you seen on the news about the little boy Joe (11 yr old) who was killed by another boy ...micheal who was 14

poor Joe was given a fake note written by micheal to come to his house and then he was killed by micheal then he put the body in a whelly bin and dumped it in a park.

its all over the news at the moment but i just wanted to say how upset i was to her this. my thoughts are with the family at this sad time :crying:

at least 12 years in prison......is that enough?

:confused:

Comments

• Options
    The time he is given in prison is normally a minimum, so if he just escapes and then gets caught and goes back to prison (just an example) he'll more than likely get longer in prison.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    im sorry to say, its unlikely he will get 12 years. thats how much he has been sentenced, and that could be reduced down to 7/8 years for good behaviour.
    Also, his age will be considered, and if he has any mental impairment.
    Its just the way our judicial system works I'm afraid...just look at the Bulger trial or the young girl who was raped in Sainsbury's toilets to see nothing is just anymore.

sentencing in this country is getting worse, everyone feels they have something to say on it, its too harsh, or its too lenient. i think its one of those things that we unfortunately have no control over at the moment. I do not envy judges when it comes to sentencing cases such as these.
  • Options
    Heard it on the radio today. Pretty sick stuff :(
  • Options
    That's depressing.

I think ignorance is a gift, sometimes.
  • Options
    Imposing a minimum tariff of 12 years, the judge said doctors had found that Hamer was suffering from an "adjustment disorder" at the time of the murder.

He also said the killing itself was not thought of in advance but triggered by Joe's rejection of the defendant's sexual advance.

sounds like some mitigating circumstances. Add onto that his guilty plea. I feel just as sorry for this teenage boy who's life is fucked up and who's family's life is fucked up just as much as for the poor kid who got murdered.
  • Options
    its horrible isnt it :(

this happened SO near me. His body was dumped just behind my friends house. and a lot of the people I work with, their kids go to the high school where joe went and where the boy who killed him went too. I didn't know about the boy luring him to the house until I read it in the paper today. Sounds like he had a lot of mental problems from what i've heard.

Sad.
  • Options
    My brother works right next to this park. Pretty scary stuff... when it first happened and his Dad was talking about his little boy on tv, I proper cried. I never cry at things like that. It's just so messed up.
  • Options
    it doesnt seem really what happened. wonder whats going on in that boys head!
    actually i wouldnt like to know........
  • Options
    Bunny_0_ wrote:
    im sorry to say, its unlikely he will get 12 years. thats how much he has been sentenced, and that could be reduced down to 7/8 years for good behaviour.
    He was actually given a life sentence, serving a minimum of 12 years. I've got to say that if the kid was only 14 at the time, you've got to take that into account. If there's hope of rehabilitating anyone, then it's gotta be someone who's not an adult yet.
  • Options
    what was the motivation for the murder?
  • Options
    what was the motivation for the murder?

I'm sure on the news (Five I think) there was a report about this and bullying was involved. The boy had been bullied or something and wanted to make someone know how it felt or something, but he went too far and killed Joe. (someone please correct me if I'm wrong)
  • Options
    this is truely disturbing.

watching the news last night i honestly think the school is partly to blame.

basically the murderer sent a letter to the victim claiming to be the headmaster saying he had to go to his house for "mentoring". A teacher found this and didnt do anything about it!! they claimed it was because a fire alarm went off while they were dealing with it, but come on! surely a teacher must have more sense to not sort it out after, or do something about it. If someone saw a letter like that you'd instantly be worried and get your arse in gear. but no, nothing!! but yet the school are "apparently" in no wrong.

the lad that did it was a bit of a outcast, and was bulled and apparently took his rage out on this joe lad. its terrible.
    there was also talk of sexual advances towards joe which he refused and provoked the murder.

sickos.

still, he's only a lad himself, and a odd one at that. people are too quick to say lock him up for life, but thats not the society we live in.
  • Options
    Koe - didn't they say that Joe had reported it and got told to talk to the headmaster but didn't?
  • Options
    Actually read it.

And we don't know the half of it guys, try to be a little understanding for a change.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Koe - didn't they say that Joe had reported it and got told to talk to the headmaster but didn't?

no a teacher saw the note and was "dealing" with it. but then this fire alarm came...

even if the fire alarm didnt come surely the teacher should have done something about it? not leave a little lad to go deal with it himself???
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Actually read it.

And we don't know the half of it guys, try to be a little understanding for a change.

what does this say other than we've already mentioned? ive just read it again and cant see anything...
  • Options
    koe_182 wrote:
    what does this say other than we've already mentioned? ive just read it again and cant see anything...
    yeah, i was just about to say that. what point in particular are you trying to get at?
  • Options
    at least 12 years in prison......is that enough?

:confused:

The perpetrator should spend the rest of his life in jail, anything less is not enough.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    I'm sure on the news (Five I think) there was a report about this and bullying was involved. The boy had been bullied or something and wanted to make someone know how it felt or something, but he went too far and killed Joe. (someone please correct me if I'm wrong)

I think you are right, he wanted to find someone weaker than himself and Joe was his victim.

The pictures they have shown portray such a cute innocent happy boy, it makes it even sadder :crying: May he RIP.
  • Options
    I don't know about prison, it sounds like the attacker should be in a mental institution.

I think 12 years is about fair for the age of the defendant, and the mitigating circumstances around his actions. He isn't exactly a child full of the joy of life, and that should be considered. 12 years is, of course, just a guideline anyway- he could theoretically never be released.

Because the victim was a happy bouncy boy with a sympathy-eliciting illness obviously the papers will be baying for execution, but that doesn't mean they're right. The punishment should fit the crime, and how photogenic the victim is is irrelevant. The story only reached the papers in the first place because it was originally thought a paedophile had done it.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I don't know about prison, it sounds like the attacker should be in a mental institution.

I think 12 years is about fair for the age of the defendant, and the mitigating circumstances around his actions. He isn't exactly a child full of the joy of life, and that should be considered. 12 years is, of course, just a guideline anyway- he could theoretically never be released.

Because the victim was a happy bouncy boy with a sympathy-eliciting illness obviously the papers will be baying for execution, but that doesn't mean they're right. The punishment should fit the crime, and how photogenic the victim is is irrelevant. The story only reached the papers in the first place because it was originally thought a paedophile had done it.

I wasn't saying how photogenic the little boy was is relevant, i was just saying that that is the first impression you get when you see him, he could be a little shit for all a know.

Wouldn't you have to have an abnormality of the mind if he was to be put in a mental institution?

I'm sure this would have been looked into, no doubt they have taken the right cause of action for his punishment and prison is just that.
  • Options
    I actually highly doubt that the right course of action was taken, as it is actually very very difficult to claim mental illness as a "defence" to murder. And even if you do manage to be unfit to plead, you are sentenced to indefinite detention, so little is gained.

How photogenic the boy is does seem to be relevant- its always more heartbreaking to see some angelic little thing dead than to see some council estate charver. Everyone would think 12 years to be fair if the dead boy was a little pikey bastard, and you know it- it certainly wouldn't have ever been national news.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    How photogenic the boy is does seem to be relevant- its always more heartbreaking to see some angelic little thing dead than to see some council estate charver. Everyone would think 12 years to be fair if the dead boy was a little pikey bastard, and you know it- it certainly wouldn't have ever been national news.

Harsh but fair.

The sentance might not seem that long, but it is basically his whole life again, and given what we always hear about young offenders institutions its not exactly going to be home from home.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

The punishment should fit the crime, and how photogenic the victim is is irrelevant.
    Kermit wrote:
    How photogenic the boy is does seem to be relevant

Have you not just contradicted yourself?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Everyone would think 12 years to be fair if the dead boy was a little pikey bastard, and you know it- it certainly wouldn't have ever been national news.
    don't be so fucking ridiculous. a dead little boy is a dead little boy. the whole thing was calculated and brutal -of course it would make national news, whether he was cute or not.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    don't be so fucking ridiculous. a dead little boy is a dead little boy. the whole thing was calculated and brutal -of course it would make national news, whether he was cute or not.

Just the same as the murder of a white middle class girl gets exactly the same treatment as the murder of a lower class black boy?
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    Just the same as the murder of a white middle class girl gets exactly the same treatment as the murder of a lower class black boy?
    who are you referring to?
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    yeah i do think both would get the same treatment as seen with Anthony Walker (a black, lower class boy) and Milly Dowler (a white, middle class girl)

In fact I'd say if either of them got 'preferential' treatment by the media it was Anthony and his family.
  • Options
    Bunny_0_ wrote:
    yeah, i was just about to say that. what point in particular are you trying to get at?
    That all of you are selectively ignoring the murderers mental state at the time of the crime. It was pointed out by me, but i decided that you could do with actually reading it, instead of rehashing hear-say like you have been.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:

News stories are chosen by how photogenic the victim is- which is why the rape and murder of an attractive blonde middle-class model in Croydon took over acres of newsprint, but the rape and murder of a black teenage girl only a week or two before was hardly reported. Which is why the mugging and murder of a rich lawyer on a tube platform took precedence over the mugging and murder of a poor Asian man two miles away.

This boy was good-looking, middle-class, white, and had an illness that gains sympathy from all. So people get more angry, hang the bastard. If he'd been a little ASBO thug nobody would have batted an eyelid.

News is chosen by what's interesting, and good-looking nice murder victims are more interesting than ugly scummy ones.