Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Vista RC2

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Wew! after my last recent Vista posts and using the version i BROUGHT i decided to look at RC1 and download it after browersing and starting to download RC1 i found RC2 and im over the moon

In my eyes the Latest thing is the bestest thing :love: So instead of an Fresh install im going to upgrade and hope things work and my GFX Works

Anyone else using RC Versions?

Comments

• Options
    Apparently Vista is close to being finished.

In other news, kangaroo's have been sighted at the north pole.
  • Options
    Microsoft have been cutting bits out of the Vista release piece by piece, maybe now they're concentrating so much on what they've got left that they'll actually put something half decent out for release.
  • Options
    :nervous: *Crys*

I downloaded RC1 and i burned the ISO to a DVD Disc and like did an upgrade during windows and it got an error about 52% so i booted up the disc deleted my HD and it whizzed through the stage with the 52% problem
    And im thinking woo!!

Then As its on Expanding files it gets to 65% and i get another error *CRYS*

Any ideas on what i do?

Im going to try get a copy of a MSDN thingy guy tomorrow but this is the second time something like this has happened to me on different versions awhile i got errors too Do you think its my Discs?? there DVD-Rs so i cant use the same one but i just dont get it *crys*
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    No.

It will be that the PC isn't supported by Vista, something on it is making errors.

I had this with all the betas on m P4, RC1 is the first it worked with!

Whats your specs? I *might* be able to pick out the thing causing it... no gaurantees though, bear in minds its a pre-release. It does need ALOT of system power.

Plus half the programs you own won't work - are you SURE you want to do this?
  • Options
    If RC2 was downloaded off the Microsoft web site, then that could be the problem. No one I know has got a downloaded Vers. to work properly. I downloaded RC1 3 times, and every time the file size was different.
  • Options
    ;) Working fine! Even dual boot

I got a friend at school to make me a copy and its running fine and with XP!
  • Options
    erm does anyone know how to make the icons smaller?
  • Options
    CoolMe wrote:
    erm does anyone know how to make the icons smaller?

right click on the desktop, view, classic icons. ;)
  • Options
    Cheers! Ive been thinking how do i get rid of them for ages!

Any other little tricks i should know about ?
  • Options
    Have you tried opening a few windows, then holding down the windows key and pressing Tab. Looks cool, but can't see the point. Alt - Tab works just as well.
  • Options
    I like the new Alt Tab i think that looks rather posh ;)
  • Options
    Which kinda makes the 3D view pointless really.

Have you tried turning on the aero effects?

TBH, it's all been cosmetic so far. I've seen nothing that betters XP from an admin/config view.
  • Options
    Yep ive got all the affects on Vista rates me at a 3 Which is average aparently

I do too like the 3D scroll thing
  • Options
    My laptops a 3 also, because of the video card. Other wise it would have been a 4. But it runs everything well so far.

oh, and I like that Mahjong is included in the games. I'm sick of minesweeper. :)
  • Options
    :p

well a small run down of my Current Laptop

GFX: 256

Ram: 1 Gig

Intel Centrion Solo Processor 1.86GHz

:D
  • Options
    Mine is

GFX - Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950 (256Mg) (although I wish it had a Nvidia Quadro)

RAM - 1024MB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Pro - Intel® Centrino® Duo T2500 2.0GHz

:cool:
  • Options
    Yours seams better but we are rated the same...

What make is your laptop?
  • Options
    Unfortunately it's a Dell. ;) It's even got a Vista compatible sticker, event though at the time I had it, there were no drivers for most of the components. :)
  • Options
    My Performance rating - Attachment not found.

Used the snipping tool to make the screen grab. :thumb:
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    My PC would be fine for Vista's graphical jiggeries.

If it didn't have a Radeon 7000. WHY should an OS need DX9 spangly power? Its stupid.

M 9600 Pro is in m parents PC. My dad needs it more than the old PC, lol.
  • Options
    Ants wrote:
    Unfortunately it's a Dell. ;) It's even got a Vista compatible sticker:)

Boo You!! Dell are very good at what they do and make good Computers / Laptops

I brought my probley afew months ago so mines got the Sticker too - This time it installed perfectly!
  • Options
    I find Dell make good laptops but their desktops leave a little to be desired. It's a bit of a marketing gimmick, because they always quote the highest clock speeds, but you'll find they're running celerons etc. which aren't as powerful. The RAM / hard drives are of dubious origin as well.

Their laptops are fine, but I still prefer a bit of boycotting :p
  • Options
    I find Dell make good laptops

When they dont explode into flames! :eek2:

Regardless of how good or bad there machines are they have the shittest customer support known to man. I have lots count the amount of customers that have paid us to fix there dell machine which is under warrently rather than get dell to fix it for free because they are shit at what they do.
  • Options
    Hm it was like afew days after my Warrenty had expierd and my HHD Just went all weird ( Virus i believe ) And i couldnt do anything to get rid of it even a Format!

So they set out a brand new one free of charge with the OS And all sorts of CDS

Was Brill!
  • Options
    CoolMe wrote:
    Hm it was like afew days after my Warrenty had expierd and my HHD Just went all weird ( Virus i believe ) And i couldnt do anything to get rid of it even a Format!

So they set out a brand new one free of charge with the OS And all sorts of CDS

Was Brill!

If it was a virus... then a format would have cleared the problem. Unless the virus was on some sort of external media / drive still plugged in, or another partition, or you were just that unlucky to get infected twice in a row! :razz:

In all fairness with any company big or small... some people are going to have great experiences with them, some are going to say there utter shite. I have personally never owned a Dell, i'm just going from my experiences at work.

If they provided good support to you then your lucky in my opinion! :D