Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Pregnant drinkers/smokers!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, so i am flicking through the channels as i do and i come across this news show...might be Tonight with Trevor McDonald but i cant remember, where it was all about how young girls who are pregnant are not stopping Drinking or smoking, they are just carrying on with weekend binges like being pregnant makes no difference. I am totally shocked, i mean i walk around town and see it abit, girls smoking while obviously pregnant, but this show made out it is a serious problem of the current generation. That they are so hooked on binge drinking (i like a drink, dont get me wrong there) and smoking (i have the occasional cigar) that they cant even stop for the sake of their unborn child!

Am i the only one shocked or surprised by how common it is?

Comments

• Options
    I used to go to a rave in sheffield and nearly every week there was a pregnant bird there off her face every week. I remember someone having a go at her once.
    Women who drink whilst pregnant, their baby's can be worse from the damage of the drink than say a woman who is addicted to herion.
  • Options
    some guy was saying this female pub landlady we pregnant with twins and smoked throughout and one died and people didn't go into the pub after
  • Options
    It's not ideal, but its their body and their choice.

ITV always over-egg the pudding, 90% of what they show is exaggerated and/or fabricated.
  • Options
    Well how common is it, actually? As Kermit said, ITV aren't exactly the picture of factual and level-headed reportage at the best of times. I only caught the last minutes of the programme where the babies had been born, so I can't comment on the overall tone of it... other than to say I wouldn't take Tonight with Trevor McDonald as being the final word in gospel truth about the behaviour of young women during pregnancy.

I can only really speak from my own experience as someone with a LOT of friends who became mothers at young ages. Not one of them smoked, drank or took drugs once they were aware of their condition so I don't think it is a harrowing indictment of our times or anything of the sort.

It's also worth remembering that while we know a lot more about the impact of cigarettes, alcohol and drugs on an unborn child now... in the generations of women before us they often barely even changed their lifestyle on becoming pregnant. I know we can now claim ignorance on their behalf, but still.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    It's not ideal, but its their body and their choice.

But it's not though is it? There's someone else's quality of life at stake, and not in the hazy passive smoker/impact on society from drunken wasters sense. It's very real damage that smoking and heavy drinking does to an unborn.
  • Options
    Did anyone see the Tonight show about chemical infected kids, it was one of the best satire shows on TV I've seen in a long while.
  • Options
    My friend was out one night and there was a heavily pregnant girl there who was dancing away whilst drinking heavily, she came over and asked for a light and he said to her do you really that is a good idea in your condition, to which her reply was, fine fuck you.
  • Options
  • Options
    I'm not saying I have the right to go up to some pregnant woman and tell her to stop, but as with squeal, if asked for a light, or a fag or a drink I'd say no. Because it is a fact, that if she's chosen to keep the child, she's responsible for it's wellbeing, and smoking and drinking during pregnancy is NOT good for the unborn.
  • Options
    No suitable mother would smoke or drink heavily during pregnancy. If someone can't give up the booze and smokes for the wellbeing of their unborn child their priorities are so flawed that they are evidently not capable of having responsibility of a baby.

It is no coincidence that the pregnant women - often teenagers that will binge drink and chain smoke every Friday night through pregnancy will turn out to make crap mothers. If they knowingly harm their unborn child deliberately disadvantaging their child they quite simply don't care and shouldn't be having a kid. Cut welfare and a lot of these people who are not fit to be parents wouldn't have kids.
  • Options
    It is no coincidence that the pregnant women - often teenagers that will binge drink and chain smoke every Friday night through pregnancy will turn out to make crap mothers. If they knowingly harm their unborn child deliberately disadvantaging their child they quite simply don't care and shouldn't be having a kid. Cut welfare and a lot of these people who are not fit to be parents wouldn't have kids.
    Or they would, and the kids would be even worse off?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    But it's not though is it?

Yes. It is.
    It's very real damage that smoking and heavy drinking does to an unborn.

Whereas once the child is born it will have the purest water and cleanest air only.

I'm sorry, but I cannot get too worked up about what a mother does to their unborn child in the womb when you consider the risks that it will face after birth.
  • Options
    Cut welfare and a lot of these people who are not fit to be parents wouldn't have kids.

No, they would still have kids, you'd just have kids in even more poverty than you do now.

Since when did this country become infested with healthy-eating Nazis? And since when has it been any of their bloody business?
  • Options
    No suitable mother would smoke or drink heavily during pregnancy. If someone can't give up the booze and smokes for the wellbeing of their unborn child their priorities are so flawed that they are evidently not capable of having responsibility of a baby.

Something which is quite simply, bollocks.
    Cut welfare and a lot of these people who are not fit to be parents wouldn't have kids.

This is possibly one of the most cuntist comments I have read on here for ages. The insinuation that these people are on benefits and therefore obviously more likely to be shit parents in beneath contempt.

Obviously the best parents are those rich enough to dump their kids at boarding school :rolleyes:

In fact, this one line shows more ignorance of the reality of life than anything else in this thread.
  • Options
    Or they would, and the kids would be even worse off?

Clinton's welfare reforms reduced teenage pregnancies.
  • Options
    The insinuation that these people are on benefits and therefore obviously more likely to be shit parents in beneath contempt.

That isn't what I meant. My point was that many, or shall we say a a disproportionate number of these binge drinking, heavy smoking pregnant women will be also welfare recipients.
  • Options
    The Tonight programme is heavily sensationalist, so I'd take what a lot of it says with a pinch of salt.

When you're a pregnant woman, your body seems to turn into a public telephone booth where everyone, including perfect strangers think they can come in, and give their $0.02. I have a friend who was happily sipping orange juice at her local pub, and had a stranger come up to her and started giving her a lecture on drinking during pregnancy. And when that happens, conflicting advice starts going around, and it's interesting how it varies from country to country and how some foods/drinks/activities might be taboo somewhere. Sorry about the tangent, but while foetal alcohol syndrome is a serious issue, you'll have people just as passionate about nuts/soft cheese/eggs/shellfish etc as they are with alcohol. I've seen it, pregnancy/parenting communities are scary places...

I might not like some choices people make in pregnancy (my exes friend gave birth to a 5lb baby after smoking 10 a day) but it's not my place to say what they should or shouldn't do, and it would be very difficult to legislate their behaviour. Take a look at the US for example, and their treatment of a woman (I can't remember her name) who sought rehab advice because she wanted to stop taking drugs.
  • Options
    no-one has the right to tell the mother what to do but that doesn't mean that heavily drinking alcohol and smoking lots of cigarettes is ok! at least the program will highlight the problem even if it is sensationalist.
  • Options
    Why not sterilise them altogether Dis? You're becoming a softie.
  • Options
    Bloody hell! i didnt expect this thread to last more then a couple of replies...
  • Options
    Bullseye wrote:
    Bloody hell! i didnt expect this thread to last more then a couple of replies...

Lol!

People have a lot to say about conduct during pregnancy
  • Options
    They do don't they?

You would think it's the pregnant woman herself who should have most of the say in all matters regarding her pregancy...
  • Options
    You would think it's the pregnant woman herself who should have most of the say in all matters regarding her pregancy...

Yeah you'd think. I don't think it's all malicious though, they do say the road to hell is paved with good intentions etc. Going from personal experience from friends/relations pregnancies, people just want to chip in their own experiences. Given that no two pregnancies are the same, it often results in very conflicting advice. I'm tempted to shut myself away for 9 months when I have kids.
  • Options
    Whenever i see a pregnant woman smoking or drinking or someone smoking over a babies pram i can't help but feel sad. If they're chosing to keep the baby then the least they could do is start putting their and the babies health first. I guess it's because they can't see the affects till the babies born so they probably won't give it much thought.
  • Options

Oh to live in such a simple world. Tell me, are there pixies at the bottom of your garden?

People are complex dis. There are lots of complex reasons why people do things that are bad for them. If only people were perfect, wouldn't life be so much better? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Clinton's welfare reforms reduced teenage pregnancies.

did they fuck
  • Options
    That isn't what I meant. My point was that many, or shall we say a a disproportionate number of these binge drinking, heavy smoking pregnant women will be also welfare recipients.

So?
  • Options
    I believe pretty much every mother is a welfare recipient through child benefit........
  • Options
    I think more should be done to educate people on the dangers of drinking and recreational and prescription drug taking in pregnancy, and also made aware of options open to them if they dont actually care about the pregnancy enough to stop in the first place.
    I agree about the pregnant women automatically assumed public property thing, and thats not right, but on one hand youve got people saying, face up to your responsibilities when you have sex, and people fel conflicted about things like pregnancy termination, but then theyre so resentful they end up almost (maybe subconsciously) trying to sabotage the pregnancy anyway.
    I feel so torn over this, Ive watched heavily pregnant friends in the past injecting heroin and speed in front of me - did i feel judgement? - Hell yes!! I stopped all that shit as soon as I saw the blue line on the pregnancy test myself.
    I do think the mother HAS to have final say over what she does, pregnant or not pregnant - its her body, but if you cant admit its a fucking shame when you have a tiny baby born with foetal alcohol syndrome or addicted to Heroin at birth, I find it a bit hard to feel sympathetic. Why didnt they just have a fucking abortion, seriously.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    did they fuck

Not an unbiased source I accept but it seems to be properly referenced.
    Teen Births Down to the Lowest Rate on Record. The teen birth rate has fallen eight years in a row, dropping 20 percent from 1991 to 1999 to the lowest rate in the 60 years data on teen births have been recorded. The teen pregnancy rate is also at the lowest rate on record. To build on this progress, the President’s FY 2001 budget included funding for "second chance homes" for teen parents to reduce repeat pregnancies. [Centers for Disease Control, National Center for Health Statistics, Births: Preliminary Data for 1999; FY 2001 Budget, p. 6

I suppose the fact that teenage pregnancies plummeted following Bill Clinton's welfare reforms was some extraordinary coincidence.