Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Dealing with the Green Eyed Monster

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Is it just me or does anybody else suffer with jealousy :banghead:

I know its shit being jealous, but im really jealous of my best mate, and it's f*c!ing awful. We do get on and have some awesome times together but he has got everything I want and can only dream of having.

It really tears me up sometimes. :grump: Unless someone has a mircale cure for jealous anyone else been in this position with a friend in their life?

I thought of cutting all ties with this person, because of how low it makes me feel. But this guy really treats me like a good mate. I dont know what to do, sometimes I think things would be easier if I just cut all ties, but good mates are so hard to come by.

Anyone got any ideas ? I dont know if I should tell him how jealous Iam. Apart from looking like a dick it could just make things worse.

thanks all :thumb:

Comments

• Options
    I heard someone once say, jealousy is the cancer of the soul.

chemo is not helping here mate!
    you need willpower!
  • Options
    give that man a coconut ;)

Whoever said it wasnt half wrong.
  • Options
    What does he have that you don't have?

Chances are there's some stuff that you've got that he doesn't have, even though you don't realise it.

I wouldn't bring it up in a serious way, just next time something he has that you're jealous of comes up, just say "Awww, you've loads going for you I'm right jealous" or something and see what he says.

It'll pass.
  • Options
    We have been mates for nearly 4 years now. As you may have guessed Im not the most confident person and he is. Everything he has he works for and deserves, but it doesnt make me feel any better.

He has been a great mate and really helped sort myself out over the last few years hence the reason I dont wanna loose him, and the only person in the world I can talk with about real personal problems.

Also does jealousy diminish with age, when you get older are you less jealous of others or is it i suspect about self confidence ? :thumb:
  • Options
    Lost Soul wrote:
    Also does jealousy diminish with age, when you get older are you less jealous of others or is it i suspect about self confidence ? :thumb:

I think it's maybe a confidence thing, have you always been jealous of people generally, or is this a one off?

I know it sounds wanky, but maybe you can use your jealousy to push you on to do stuff with your life, stuff that'd make you happy?

But I know what you mean, I'm jealous of my flatmate sometimes. Mainly because he's loaded with hardly having to lift a finger (jealous of this), but then he's a cocky and sleazy git (not jealous of this), so I just shrug and try not to think about it.
  • Options
    I would say this is pretty much a one off. Although Im sure if i thought hard enough there would be others i have been jealous of in some respect.

I have learned alot from my mate, Im a better person now without a doubt because I watch him and learn how he deals with situations, so in that respect its done me some good. When I meet him at university I knew nothing about life and how things work. Now Im better at dealing with things, before i would have just run away!

I just find myself hiding things from him, because i dont want him to think less of me. The more i think about this the more i feel it is about confidence. He knows i think a lot of him but sometimes it really hurts inside and I cant say anything.

Guess thats why they call it 'Cancer of the Soul' :)
  • Options
    Lost Soul wrote:
    give that man a coconut ;)

Whoever said it wasnt half wrong.

haha!! I just pulled that out of my ass myself!

Oh yes... Twain, Hesse, Adanauer, Wilde, Shaw and last but not least Strubbs.
  • Options
    Is it a bad idea to tell someone your jealous of them?

I may just end up wrecking a good friendship but being jealous is shit and at the moment he thinks i give him mixed messages, when really it hurts when i feel jealous. :banghead:

Is honesty the best policy, even if I do look like a dickhead :)
  • Options
    Lost Soul wrote:
    Is it a bad idea to tell someone your jealous of them?

I may just end up wrecking a good friendship but being jealous is shit and at the moment he thinks i give him mixed messages, when really it hurts when i feel jealous. :banghead:

Is honesty the best policy, even if I do look like a dickhead :)

No it's not!

Keep on distance from your friend a bit, you might be ruining a perfectly good friendship. Don't tell him, what should he be doing anyway? Ditch his girlfriend so you ain't jealous anymore? Telling him does not stop you from being jealous, grow some balls and take it as a man, that some people "have it better" than yourself.
  • Options
    So what is a green eyed monster???

jealousy

read the thread.
  • Options
    Jealousy is a very destructive and pointless emotion.

I used to sometimes feel jealous of one of my friends as she seemed to have everything, like a family and a settled life, a home. Then she said she was envious of me having freedom to do what I want. Things always seem rosier from another side. I'm sure you have some qualities and talents that your friend doesn't have.
  • Options
    Hm, my friend gets jealous of me and my boyfriend and it sometimes bothers me a lot. Mostly because he's been trying to get me to tell him if I would have dated/made out with him if I wasn't dating my boyfriend. He also is sort of getting jealous of everyone because all of his friends hooked up with each other, though.

I do get really jealous when my boyfriend hangs or hugs his ex-girlfriend because he claims that he hates her, but he'll still act friendly towards her.
  • Options
    I've been known in the past to get jealous. I think everyone has their moments tbh.