Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Kittens

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
After continuous bouts of can we, can we, can we, can we, the bf has given in and said i can have 2 kittens so we're gonna go kitten shopping soon. More than likely get 2 females, spayed, vaccinated and chipped of course. Having a look round now but CPL don't seem to have much in the way of kittens, in fact only one poor cat, Bella with FIV.

Comments

• Options
    just dont dress them in rubber catsuits :grump:

Ha! "catsuits"....geddit?! :|
  • Options
    lol, they are going nowhere near my pervy stuff :naughty:
  • Options
    pre-order some. Mind you, that can be expensive. But arent litters of kittens quite big? I'm sure you can find some somewhere. Actually, PM littlemissy or mist, they got kittens recently and had a headache trying to get them. I think it was them anyway :)
  • Options
    try ringing around local kennels and catteries- they often take in rescues

try the rspca, too. They can put you on a waiting list.

and endless times ive seen notice boards in supermarkets advertising kittens, often free to good homes (along with puppies and varous other unwanted pets :()

You could also try notice boards in other places, such as vets, and ads in local gazettes/papers
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Cats!! woo... I saw a cute kitten on the way home. Its was reall affectionaae but a bit shy.

Hehe. Cats are ace, congats! (Y)
  • Options
    Ask Kermit ... he keeps trying to give me his kitten to take away! Or Bastard, as he lovingly calls it :D
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    pre-order some. Mind you, that can be expensive. But arent litters of kittens quite big? I'm sure you can find some somewhere. Actually, PM littlemissy or mist, they got kittens recently and had a headache trying to get them. I think it was them anyway :)

:D

We have a nightmare with the CPL. They weren't very nice people in the end.

We didn't want kittens as they are harder to leave alone (you need to be around more to toilet train, feed more regularly etc) but wanted some young cats. We ended up getting some from a local cattery. They were 16 months and semi-feral.

They cost us £75 for the 3 in order to cover their vaccinations and things.

I'd go to your local RSPCA, catteries and have a look. Don't set yourself on kittens, they can be hard to get sometimes. And I don't think I would get kittens anyway ... these cats were toilet trained and ready for being homed. Even though they were the biggest scaredy cats ever. If you get a cat from the cattery / RSPCA you will need to undergo a home check, just to make sure that your house is ok.

Look in local papers, Asda boards etc for kittens. Also, my sister in law got her kittens from a local farm.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Isn't it better to adopt a stray than go buying pets? I think so...
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster

I agree. But I'd rather get a stray from the RSPCA than just off the street ...
  • Options
    I agree. But I'd rather get a stray from the RSPCA than just off the street ...

Agreed, I mean, the RSPCA rescue them off the street, but then they check them for illness, and vaccinate them. If I ever found an animal on the street , I call the RSPCA rather than keep it.
  • Options

That's what we'll do. Go to a shelter or something similar. Only want moggies. My mum used to breed pedigree cats, and they're so friggin up 'emselves :D
  • Options
    dont you have to be extra careful with stuff, like litter trays etc. At least an older cat would be housetrained.
  • Options
    Dom you mean toxiplasmosis or just careful in general ? Cats from about 9/10 weeks are usually well litter trained, especially if they've been with the mother all that time. I just love watching cats grow up and kittens are so much fun to have around.
  • Options
    I meant toxoplasmosis. I know it can be deadly if you have compromised immunity and im not sure its something that can be vaccinated against.
    Mind you, rubber gloves when clearing up shit would probably protect.
  • Options
    Both my cats, which we're of course kittens.... took to using a litter tray without any training, ones a few years older than the other but they both used it without any problem. Getting kittens from the rspca an such like is the best, there's markets here that are charging £50+ for moggy kittens with no vacinations.
  • Options
    Kev, go to Birmingham dog's home. They have a lot of cats and kittens.
  • Options
    We got Bastard from someone at the council who had a litter and wanted to give them away. He was about six weeks old when we got him, free of charge, and he hasn't been too much of a pain. He was reasonably well litter-trained (the only problems we've had is when Asda brought the wrong litter and he refused to use it), and he hasn't destroyed the house to pieces.

You'll always see adverts around for cats, try the back pages of the local paper. People with female cats who accidentally get pregnant, or people who let the female have one litter, that sort of thing.

Failing that, you can have our little bastard ball of fluff (this was taken when he was about 8 weeks old):

jasper.jpg
  • Options
    hes cute!
    He reminds me of my old cat Spats
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote:
    Kev, go to Birmingham dog's home. They have a lot of cats and kittens.

I just looked at their site, and there's nothing about cats. i thought they took in cats too ???
  • Options
    Well we're off to Wythall Animal Sanctuary in a bit to have a look at what they've got. Think they might want to do a home visit first, bfore we bring anyone home, but from what she asked me on the phone she seemed quite satisfied with our house/garden/location.

Now then, names ........................ :D
  • Options
    If there are any farms not too far away from you you can check if they have any kittens that they're looking for a new home for. The farmer would probably give them away free, too..
  • Options
    True. But by getting them from a sanctuary, and paying for them and buying their first few weeks worth of food, litter, tray, bedding etc i'm helping the sanctuary out.
  • Options
    I was playing with a kitten all night last night while babysitting. They're fun!! I can't help with names etc but get a laser pen thing for them to chase. Kept Meg the Mental Mog happy for over an hour while I was reading! :D
  • Options
    Well we saw 2 we liked. Black & white one and a black one. Black & White will be Minstrel :) Dunno bout the black one yet. Just waiting on a home visit to make sure we're ok adopters :D
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote:
    Well we saw 2 we liked. Black & white one and a black one. Black & White will be Minstrel :) Dunno bout the black one yet. Just waiting on a home visit to make sure we're ok adopters :D

Minstrel? As in the chocolate? :hyper: Should call the dark (black) one Bournville ;)
  • Options
    nicx1811 wrote:
    Minstrel? As in the chocolate?

As in Black and White Minstrel, though i do like the chocolates too :D
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Black cats are the best! :thumb:
  • Options
    Kermit - Bastard looks very cute.

Black cats are very cute - next door have a big fluffly black cat that always in our garden. Loves rolling over your feet/ankles etc.
  • Options
    is your cat really called bastard, kermit?!

we've had cats before. once we had 3 at once. they were called chloe, timmy and gizmo. not really a cat person anymore..i prefer dogs. :yes:
  • Options