Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

"Happy to be single" - grrrr

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I work with this absolutely incredible woman - in my eyes she's perfect in every way. She's such a nice person to be around and has the ultimate figure. We often chat on our breaks and she's always friendly to me - if she passes my office she usually smiles or waves.

In the last few weeks I've become more and more attracted to her and wanted to get to know her better so like any confident bloke.....I took the easy way out and got my mate to speak to her on my behalf :D

I just wanted to know if she's 'looking' and I found out that she's apparently 'happy to be single'.

Now I respect her choice, no problem with that.....but.....I really fancy her! Let me make it clear that the last thing I want to do is make her feel uncomfortable, or make it look like I'm imposing myself on her. But I just think if I only had a chance to show what I could offer her, she may feel differently.

Again I stress I'm not the sort of person who demands to get his way with women - I just feel I haven't have a decent chance yet. She's an incredible woman and I'm determined not to give up on her!

So any suggestions on what I can or should do?

Comments

• Options
    Give up mate. She's made it clear thats what she wants, whether Brad Pitt comes along! Not being nasty. I was in the same boat a few days ago! You cant help that. I felt that if i could show this girl what i had to offer, than she'll be more than happy to be with me, but unfortunately she hasn't gave me my chance to offer this. oh well her loss!
  • Options
    Maybe she thought your mate was interested, and so gave him the equivalent of the "I'm not looking" line. How did he broach the subject with her, do you know?

Basically I'd say bite the bullet and find out if she'd be interested in going out sometime after work or similar. She might well genuinely want - and be happy - to be single, or she might just be spouting that line to keep away unwanted attention (which you don't know you would be, do you?) or because it sounds a damn sight better than responding with "yes, I'm DEFINITELY looking... you don't happen to know any eligible bachelors with their own teeth and hair, do you?".
  • Options
    Exactly. Anyone worth having is never 'looking'. Just ask her out. I think people are generally flexible with the whole "I'm happy to be single" thing. And even if it's true, you don't have to actually go out with her. ;) How many times have you heard someone give the "I'm not looking for a relationship right now" line, only to be going out with someone within a month? Go for it.
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    Maybe she thought your mate was interested, and so gave him the equivalent of the "I'm not looking" line. How did he broach the subject with her, do you know?

My mate is female :D

She's told me in the past she has trouble trusting blokes after being hurt in the past which I respect completely but if only I can show her she has nothing to fear from me then although she's happy being single, I'm convinced I could make her even happier.
  • Options
    She might be trying to tell you in the most polite way possible that she's not interested in you?
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    She might be trying to tell you in the most polite way possible that she's not interested in you?

Maybe but I gave my mate strict instructions to not give the game away about who's interested in her :D
  • Options
    Well then who knows. If I was single and a female colleague came up to me and asked what the craic was with my love life (and whether I was looking, or whatever) then I'm pretty sure I'd say I was happy as I am. It's hard to second-guess her, really, you'll have to either take that response at face value and forget any romantic intentions you have... or else go for it and risk being blown out.
  • Options
    if someone was to ask me then i would say 'im happy being single' because i am but fi i met someone or someone asked me out who i liked i'd definitly say yes!
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    if someone was to ask me then i would say 'im happy being single' because i am but fi i met someone or someone asked me out who i liked i'd definitly say yes!

Same here. However, the last time someone asked me out, I just said that I wasn't interested then was blackmailed by him to give me an answer.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    I'll keep at it I think - she's just too special to let go easily :D
  • Options
    best of luck
  • Options
    She's "happy to be single", because she isn't interested in you mate. What if she said she was looking for someone, and your mate would bring a 225 pound man: UNCOMFYNESS.

find out yourself, if she turns you down, there is nothing lost. If a girl is so superfriendly to you it can mean a lot of things, but among them interest in your person.

/edit:
    actually, every thread can be locked as soon as briggi answered in it. Hell, is there anything you don't do right ? sisi.gif
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote:
    She's "happy to be single", because she isn't interested in you mate. What if she said she was looking for someone, and your mate would bring a 225 pound man: UNCOMFYNESS.

????
  • Options
    ????
    your mate.

a single letter can make so much difference.

I was just saying, that "Are you looking for someone?" is either a question from someone insecure who wants to date her, or from someone to set her and his mate up. So naturally I'd say "I am single and happy with it" as well, since you never know the other person's cunning plan.
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    My understanding of it was that the mate did a bit of investigative work without actually telling her that someone was interested, or at least without being specific about who was interested. So she wouldn't know that "this guy at work has a crush on her", and all the strategising isn't really necessary because she doesn't actually KNOW that this bloke is interested.

Maybe I've misread somewhere, though.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    briggi wrote:
    My understanding of it was that the mate did a bit of investigative work without actually telling her that someone was interested, or at least without being specific about who was interested. So she wouldn't know that "this guy at work has a crush on her", and all the strategising isn't really necessary because she doesn't actually KNOW that this bloke is interested.

Maybe I've misread somewhere, though.

:yes: that's my understanding too.
  • Options
    yea, I guess this is everyone's understanding, but you tend to be suspicious if someone asks you such a question, no?

I guess I would...
  • Options
    I was referring to the fact that MattLiverpool was talking as if she knew for a fact he liked her and now was regarding him as some kind of pussy-whipped fanboy loser who she was laughing with her mates about (paraphrased, of course ;)). As far as I'm concerned, she doesn't know he likes her as anything more than a friend/accquaintance/work colleague and therefore there's still everything to play for.

You may well suspect someone has instructed the inquisitor to mine for the information; but it might also come up in conversation. Gals (and blokes, too, I would imagine) sometimes talk about that kind of thing without automatically expecting ulterior motives of the person asking or their mate.
  • Options
    Not really. Not if it was a friend asking me. That's just the sort of thing you talk about quite often. If it was someone I hardly knew, then maybe, but probably later on when I thought about it. Certainly not quickly enough for me to think "they're asking for a friend. Better say I'm not looking for anyone".
  • Options
    The better looking you are the more attuned you are to whether people fancy you?

I guess that might be true in the case of attractive people who automatically assume everyone fancies them (which is not all, by any stretch of the imagination) but generally I would say that is absolute bollocks. In fact, if insecure people are as innately insecure as a lot of people - some on these boards - seem to believe (and in a lot of cases, I'd agree) I'd say that the opposite may well be true. You can generalise about how people perceive one another, and especially not solely on a basis of looks.

But yes, if he's gazing starry-eyed at her it will probably be providing a large, anvil-like hint.
  • Options
    If she doesn't think you are someone who wants to jump her bones, why would she say anything other than "happy to be single"?

She isn't going to sit there and say that she cries herself to sleep every night because of the loneliness, is she? She isn't going to say that she feels like a fat lump of lard and that everyone despises her, is she? If someone asks how the love life is, and you don't have one, you say you're happy how you are.

Ignore MattLiverpool's games, because he talks 100% pure thoroughbred bollocks when it comes to relationships.
  • Options
    Women love attention, they pretend to ignore it but they are very good at detecting it.

Oh, right! Thanks for clueing me in :thumb: ;)

To be honest, I think you've read quite a lot into this unless you know something I don't! You may well be right, who knows. But just because the OP thinks she is incredible and nigh-on perfect doesn't actually mean that she is one of these generally-perceived top shelf wonderwomen you seem to assume. Just because she may be one such being doesn't mean she gets hit on all the time. Just because she may get hit on all the time doesn't mean she loves the attention or is somehow derisive toward the men who give her that attention.

It's not really important, anyway. I'm just wondering now if the original poster is going to ask her out!?
  • Options
    Hehe you called me a thoroughbred, I take it as a complement :)

He didn't call you a thoroughbred, he said you talk bollocks. Read it again.
  • Options
    He didn't call you a thoroughbred, he said you talk bollocks. Read it again.

:lol:

Sometimes I envy MattLiverpool. I am searching every day to come one step nearer to reveal the big secrets of the complex female sex, and see there. Someone got it all figured out already ;) Write a book Matt!!
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    Oh, right! Thanks for clueing me in :thumb: ;)

To be honest, I think you've read quite a lot into this unless you know something I don't! You may well be right, who knows. But just because the OP thinks she is incredible and nigh-on perfect doesn't actually mean that she is one of these generally-perceived top shelf wonderwomen you seem to assume. Just because she may be one such being doesn't mean she gets hit on all the time. Just because she may get hit on all the time doesn't mean she loves the attention or is somehow derisive toward the men who give her that attention.
    Logic says that the more you get hit on, the more likely you are to know when you're getting hit on. But logic never seems to apply to these things. You could also argue that if someone never gets hit on, they are more likely to notice someone changing their behaviour around them. I have a few very attractive friends who are extremely naive when it comes to this sort of thing.

And as for girls liking attention Matt, everyone in the world likes attention, especially from the opposite sex.
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote:
    :lol:

Sometimes I envy MattLiverpool. I am searching every day to come one step nearer to reveal the big secrets of the complex female sex, and see there. Someone got it all figured out already ;) Write a book Matt!!

There's plenty of 'player' books. Read The Game by Neil Strauss.
    Then read my signature.
  • Options
    The game is too commercial it's all shit for geeks trying to get over approach anxiety.

So! You get your amazing pulling techniques from books?!
  • Options
    So! You get your amazing pulling techniques from books?!

That would explain so much :chin: