Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Second Homes

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
While some people have no home, or can not afford to buy their own home, is it justifiable for others to have two, or three...

Comments

• Options
    Doesn't really matter if they do, there's plenty of homes lying empty in the UK at the moment.
  • Options
    Why wouldn't it be? If they can afford it, let them have it. As yera says, theres not a lack of homes or space for them out there. I don't even really understand the question. Should people not be allowed on vacations then if others can't afford it?
  • Options
    Another question. Should second homes get a discount on their council tax?
  • Options
    It depends on the circumstances. If house prices in a particular area are high because of lack of housing, then it's rather wrong in my opinion for someone to move in and buy a second home there. They're artificially inflating prices and make it very difficult for locals to buy their own home.

I fully agree with the measures some towns have taken of banning outsiders from buying second homes (if it is done for the right reasons though, rather than to keep 'strangers' out for the sake of it).
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Why wouldn't it be? If they can afford it, let them have it. As yera says, theres not a lack of homes or space for them out there. I don't even really understand the question. Should people not be allowed on vacations then if others can't afford it?

Do you not think that there might be a link between the two, no?

I can see your point of view, but to compare a Holiday to a Home is not a reasonable argument.
  • Options
    levesquez wrote:
    Do you not think that there might be a link between the two, no?

I can see your point of view, but to compare a Holiday to a Home is not a reasonable argument.

A second or third home is usually a vacation home, is it not?
  • Options
    No.

Buy to Let.
  • Options
    Buy to let? What does "let" mean in this sentence?

You should have been more specific in your original question. Are you talking about second homes for personal use or something else? I read it as buying multiple homes for personal use; homes for vacations, homes closer to work that you can stay at if you have an early meeting or a different office cross country, homes closer to other members of your family.
  • Options
    To rent out. Damn Americans. :p
  • Options
    Thank You!!!
  • Options
    So you're saying people should buy second homes and let homeless people live in them for free? Why would anyone want to do such a thing?
  • Options
    I'm British and whenever anyone says second homes I think holiday homes as well. The arguments for and against buy to let are totally different from holiday homes.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:
    Doesn't really matter if they do, there's plenty of homes lying empty in the UK at the moment.
    not affordable ones, there isn't
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote:

Depends where youi live - parts of the North have houses which are so affordable you can virtually buy an entire terrace for the price of a pint (of course they're affordable because no-one wants to live their and the owners can't give them away).
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Depends where youi live - parts of the North have houses which are so affordable you can virtually buy an entire terrace for the price of a pint (of course they're affordable because no-one wants to live their and the owners can't give them away).
    sorry I was talking to rent. but yes, we have areas here where the houses are so cheap but still no one would want to live there
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Actually my town's one of those areas. And they're all being snapped up by large companies so they can do them up and rent them out or sell them on for twice the cost.
  • Options
    Actually my town's one of those areas. And they're all being snapped up by large companies so they can do them up and rent them out or sell them on for twice the cost.
    it really fucks me off all the new properties popping up everywhere, im all for re-developing but i think companies should start looking at building eco friendly homes
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote:

I know but he's saying people shouldn't buy second homes if there's homeless people. Well there are empty houses and they'd be a hell of a lot more affordable than someone who's letting out a second home.
  • Options
    Another question. Should second homes get a discount on their council tax?
    no they shouldnt.
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote:
    it really fucks me off all the new properties popping up everywhere, im all for re-developing but i think companies should start looking at building eco friendly homes

But surely its more eco friendly to refurbish than to knock down and rebuild? If they do a proper job of refurbishment (and they'll have to do something to sell them in areas of low demand) they'll put in plenty of energy saving insulation and double glazing, plus refit doors and windows etc.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    But surely its more eco friendly to refurbish than to knock down and rebuild? If they do a proper job of refurbishment (and they'll have to do something to sell them in areas of low demand) they'll put in plenty of energy saving insulation and double glazing, plus refit doors and windows etc.
    yeah I agree with you.
    ther are loads of places that are being bult now days on empty land though and leaving the shit places to rot.
  • Options
    i can't see the argument against buy to let property investors tbh, ok so they're making a bit of money but actually they're also providing a place to live for those who can't afford to buy their homes, which is an ever increasing number.......as for second holiday homes which are empty most of the time, well that's a different argument......
  • Options
    i can't see the argument against buy to let property investors tbh, ok so they're making a bit of money but actually they're also providing a place to live for those who can't afford to buy their homes, which is an ever increasing number........
    Why can an ever-increasing number of people not afford to buy homes? Last I heard, the average salayy hadn't gone down. Maybe it's something to do with there being less houses available because investment companies are buying them all up?
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    A second or third home is usually a vacation home, is it not?

That's what I thought.

Personally, I don't think people should be allowed to buy second homes unless their intention is to buy to let.
  • Options
    I think that holiday homes are completely immoral, and in property hotspots the council should be allowed to unilaterally create and enforce covenants that prevent properties being sold unless the owner intends to be in full legal residence in the property.

Because of the amount of people (usually rich, usually southern) that buy second homes and then leave them vacant for most of the time, the local communities are destroyed. The community loses its spirit because its filled with empty houses owned by people who couldn't give a toss if the post office closes down, becvause they have Range Rovers and staff to post letters. The people who have been born and raised in the community, and who often have lower wages than the average urban wage, are unable to afford to live where they were born, and they are forced to move huge distances, tearing families apart.

In the mean time, rather than getting a 50% council tax rebate on your holiday home, you should have to pay 1000% council tax, so you pay ten times what the council tax would be to an owner-occupier. If you can afford two homes you can afford to pay for the serious and irreparable damage you cause to the local community.

As for buy-to-let investors, they are less immoral, but they are still immoral. How I would solve this problem is by removing tax breaks if you offset rental income against the mortgage- you should have to pay income tax and NI contributions on all rental income, not just the profit you make after you pay the mortgage. You should also have to pay capital gains tax on all rental income, in addition to the income tax and NI. Stamp Duty should have a threshold of £0 on buy-to-let properties, and the rate of Stamp Duty should be quadrupled for all buy-to-let purchasers, so that the threshold can be raised for ownwer-occupiers. This should also be used to offset against the damage buy-to-let landlords cause to the local communities, particularly in student areas where having a transient and absent population and vacant houses causes serious crime problems.
  • Options
    Fuck it. I'm gonna buy properties to let if I can afford it. I'm planning on having a job that doesn't pay regular wages so it's a requirement to have other regular income in case you don't get any work for a while.
  • Options
    The point is to make it so that 99% of people can't afford it, because they wouldn't be able to meet the astronomical tax bill.
  • Options
    What Kermit said is pretty mean, but I do agree with him.
  • Options
    I'm sure huge London-based companies wouldn't have a problem. They might appreciate you getting rid of all their smaller competitors too.
  • Options
    Kermit, I think you're right about holiday homes, but if people couldn't by to let, I'd be renting from some faceless corperation, not some nice guy called tim or my landlady from last year carol, who was very helpful