Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Gaining weight -> too thin.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am male, 5'11' (180 cm) and I weigh 57 kilograms, which seem to be according to a weigh-translator online 127.87 lbs. That's a body mass index (BMI) of 17.9, and the site I have it from says that dropping more weight would be dangerous/unhealthy :nervous:

I eat a lot, and tbh not really healthy, so actually by the amount of my fat intake I would've to weigh 50% more. I wonder were the problems are. Is there anyone with a similar problem who has been to some kind of 'nutrition doctor' who gives you good tipps about what to specifically eat for different results ??

I did work-out in the past and on the bench-press I made around 55 kilos, which was my own body weight back then and I don't think that's too shabby in the relation. Still I can't gain weight and therefore can't gain muscle mass (haarrrddly).

Is it maybe a lack of testosterone? Since I am 20 and can't grow a beard (except on chin), or are there other reasons?

This caused me much grief ever since. I am pretty weak (go figure) and without being shallow, a in-shape body is much more appealing to the ladies as well. help...

Comments

• Options
    Pffft, I'm a skinny lad I'm 9 and bit stone and about 5"8 or so?

Doc has always said it's fine, I've never had an issue with it (got knocked back by Aberdeen under 12s because I was too fragile, gutted!) and it's never really stopped me with girls tbh.

I can't grow a beard either, but I wouldn't really want to anyway.

If it's bothering you, then I'd go to the gym, get regular exercise and see what the doc says, but maybe you are just naturally thin?
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote:
    Pffft, I'm a skinny lad I'm 9 and bit stone and about 5"8 or so?

Doc has always said it's fine, I've never had an issue with it (got knocked back by Aberdeen under 12s because I was too fragile, gutted!) and it's never really stopped me with girls tbh.

I can't grow a beard either, but I wouldn't really want to anyway.

If it's bothering you, then I'd go to the gym, get regular exercise and see what the doc says, but maybe you are just naturally thin?

I don't know, I weighed 4.04 kg at my birth and was in a little rounder (never near overweight tho) in my toddler years. Is there something like "naturally thin" ? I mean there must be a reason to it, and therefore a countermeasure.

I am not doing it for the ladies, bri. that would be a nice side effect, but I am tired of watching myself getting out shape more and more (as if this was even possible), without being able to do anything. I mean I play soccer and bike frequently and I notice it a bit that I have a tad more stamina, but I need some strenght, I don't want to be out of breath after carrying my weekend groceries up to the third story, etc.

Maybe it's because of malnutrition that I am low in certain carbons or fibres (sorry I am bad in naming those in english, learned it all in german) ?, but why don't I get ANY weight then, be it 'bad' weight from fats?

I will probably go see a kind of doctor for that anyway, but I just wanted to ask here beforehand...
  • Options
    Well gaining weight in terms of muscle mass is actually much more difficult than losing fat. As well as your exercise, you've got to eat and eat, and when you're absolutely stuffed, eat some more. And you've got to be diciplined, and follow a routine for several months or you'll end up taking one step forward and two steps back. If you really want to do it, I'd recommend go onto some bodybuilding websites for tips (you don't have to be into bodybuilding, the principles are the same). Educate yourself on what is required.

Oh and as for the ladies thing, part of that may be true. But I think the true reason that men say that girls are more interested in them after they've been working out is because they gained the confidence in themselves. That's not to say that a lot of girls don't like a nice pair of arms as well though. :p
  • Options
    I think you can be naturally thin, you should be able to be a healthy weight for your height though.

I eat a lot of shit too mate, I've a slight heart condition anyway, but because I don't really put on weight it doesn't show. But it's just as bad for me, and my doctor is well telling me to watch what I'm doing now.

It maybe is just the way you're built, but I think if you're concerned about it then if you pop of to the docs he'd be able to give you a better idea.
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote:
    Maybe it's because of malnutrition that I am low in certain carbons or fibres (sorry I am bad in naming those in english, learned it all in german) ?, but why don't I get ANY weight then, be it 'bad' weight from fats?
    Fast as fuck metabolism. I've got one too. I can eat McDonalds every day and not put any fat on. But it's always a good idea to eat more healthily. Your metabolism naturally slows as you get older. And you don't want to wake up when you're middle aged and find that you've turned into a fat bastard because you can't eat all the stuff you used to. That's one of the reasons I'm trying to change my diet. But anyway, my gammon and chips are ready now.
  • Options
    Fast as fuck metabolism. I've got one too. I can eat McDonalds every day and not put any fat on. But it's always a good idea to eat more healthily. Your metabolism naturally slows as you get older. And you don't want to wake up when you're middle aged and find that you've turned into a fat bastard because you can't eat all the stuff you used to. That's one of the reasons I'm trying to change my diet. But anyway, my gammon and chips are ready now.

Yeah that too. I don't know if it has anything to do with that, but I have to pee around 8-10 times a day (depending on how much I drink).
    It's probably a vicious circle. I don't work out, because I don't have anything to work out anyway. On the other hand, if I would work out, I would have more hunger, eat more and then have something to work out :chin:

I mean, my fitness for my weight is like I said not that bad. I can do a lot of pushups, a lot of pull-ups and hundreds of sit-ups. Maybe it's just really a vicious circle and I am lacking motivation, because I think there won't be a result anyway. On the other hand, I DID work out for half a year, ~2 times a week. No noticeable change for me.
  • Options
    Firstly an online scales are absolutly inaccurate. Like many people have, you have most likely got an extremely fast metabolism. I very much doubt you have low testosterone levels, but you could have a simple blood test to find out.

It ain't impossible to put on weight though. Buy a bag of dextrose & mix it with milk, take a few times a day for a week to see if you notice a weight increase.
  • Options
    I'm in the same situation - no matter what adn how much I eat, I can't put on any weight at all. I know someone who has this problem as well and has been told by the doctor that his dad must buy him more food with a high fat content to help him put on weight.
  • Options
    I wish i had this problem. All i need to do is look at some chocolate and i gain 2lbs.
    I've put on nearly a stone this summer. :crying: I don't even eat that bad either.
  • Options
    Trust me, you wouldn't want to wish that you had this problem. It's a right pain, not being able to put on weight.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Trust me, you wouldn't want to wish that you had this problem. It's a right pain, not being able to put on weight.

Too right.

I've never been able to put much weight on, which was all fine and dandy when I was slim, but a perfectly healthy weight. But when you're actually unhealthily underweight and scrawny looking, well, it ain't nice. And oh my, do people let you know about it.

OP - I know it sounds ridiculous, but you could try slim fast. Obviously don't use it as directed, but if you have a slim fast shake and then a normal meal as well a couple of times a day it can be a way of getting extra calories and nutrients in without having to eat and eat and eat. You will get this look when you're buying it though --> :eek2:

Grazing on food all day helps too. I can't eat too many big meals, cause I just feel sick as hell after, but I do pretty well on 5 or 6 small meals and then munch on things in between. Nuts are great for this, cause they're high calorie/high fat, but good fats, and won't clog up your arteries.

Don't agree that skinny men are a turn off either. My other half is 6'1'' and can quite happily fit in a pair of size 8 ladies jeans but he is still :love:
  • Options
    lol how can a product like slim fast which is aimed for loosing weight, add on weight? I wouldn't use it because its obviously low in calories.
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    lol how can a product like slim fast which is aimed for loosing weight, add on weight? I wouldn't use it because its obviously low in calories.

Because it's designed to replace meals. If you have it in addition to normal meals it's just a handy way to pack some extra goodies into yourself. I think each shake is about 250 calories, so if you have it with, say, a 400 calorie meal, that's 650 big ones in one sitting.
  • Options
    you could just follow dinner with a chocolate bar :yum:
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    OP - I know it sounds ridiculous, but you could try slim fast. Obviously don't use it as directed, but if you have a slim fast shake and then a normal meal as well a couple of times a day it can be a way of getting extra calories and nutrients in without having to eat and eat and eat. You will get this look when you're buying it though --> :eek2:

What might be even better is something which is actually designed to 'build people up' eg. Complan type stuff.
  • Options
    LeedsLad wrote:
    What might be even better is something which is actually designed to 'build people up' eg. Complan type stuff.

It's essentially the same stuff, it's just that slim fast is supposed to be used instead of meals, and the build up stuff is supposed to be used as well as meals. And slim fast is cheaper.

It's what my doc recommended for putting on weight :thumb:
    lipsy wrote:
    you could just follow dinner with a chocolate bar

you could do that as well! :yum:
  • Options
    I've just had another look at the original post, and whilst not wanting to sound alarmist, it might not be as simple as the food-exercise balance being the sole cause.

I'd suggest you see your GP (or whatever the Austrian equivalent is) just to be on the safe side.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    Because it's designed to replace meals. If you have it in addition to normal meals it's just a handy way to pack some extra goodies into yourself. I think each shake is about 250 calories, so if you have it with, say, a 400 calorie meal, that's 650 big ones in one sitting.
    Thats alot of calories in a product designed for low calorie diets. My protein shakes dont contain as many calories as that.
  • Options
    am desperately trying to put on weight atm and not succeeding at all. my doc recommended the slim fast shakes for me too, but i can't bring myself to drink them as i'm honestly not keen on milkshakes or anything like that.

HIT, in terms of the slim fast shakes calorie value they're not that calorific at all if you take it in context - cos if you were following the slim fast diet you'd only be having the shake for your brekkie and than another one for lunch with nothing else - which only adds up to 500 cals by tea time...
  • Options
    I cant see how or why though Dr's are recommending slim fast to put on weight. Maybe its just me, but surly you can buy a weight gainer that's not only cheaper, but has more calories. After all, if your trying to put on weight, why use a weight loss product over a weight gain product.

Some weight gain milkshakes I know of have 1000 calories per serving, now compare that to a 250 cal slim fast.
  • Options
    HIT - you do realise that Kaffrin (?) said not to have Slim Fast on it's own, don't you?
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    HIT - you do realise that Kaffrin (?) said not to have Slim Fast on it's own, don't you?
    Well yeah of coarse I did. :confused:

Slim fast is a product consumed when wanting to loose weight, hence having less calories. A regular chocolate nesquik has more calories than slim fast, so does weight gaining milkshakes. I just dont think its appropriate consuming a slim fast shake rather than a weight gain shake if they are trying to put on weight.
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    After all, if your trying to put on weight, why use a weight loss product over a weight gain product.

It's just marketing one way or the other. All slim fast is is a fortified milkshake that's easily available, and, if you're buying it in powdered form, dead cheap.

It doesn't make people lose weight in itself. The only reason people do lose weight on the slim fast diet is because 250 calories for breakfast and 250 calories for lunch is fuck all. Therefore it DOESNT MATTER if it's marketed as a weight loss product, if you have it and then have your recommended daily calories in the form of proper meals as well, it can help you gain weight.

I'm not suggesting that every underweight person in the world should buy lifetime supplies of slim fast, I'm just passing on a tip from my doctor of something the OP could try if he wants.

Also, for the record, you don't need masses and masses of extra calories to make a difference. My doc recommended I try to get 300-500 extra calories a day.
  • Options
    To be honest I think that most weight gain shakes are

a) quite expensive and
    b) designed for people who are bulking up for sports

Slimfast and other such products though are just nutritionally balanced diet supplements. The products themselves do not make you lose weight, as that would be physically impossible.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:

a) quite expensive and

Slimfast and other such products though are just nutritionally balanced diet supplements. The products themselves do not make you lose weight, as that would be physically impossible.

I agree. I do slimfast because I don't have time for a nice cereal and milk breakfast. Quick, on the go and definatly cheaper than most of the bulk up shakes. My brother used to drink those. Its a nice add on to a meal. Though don't get the chocolate :sour: Kaffrin's speaking sense! :thumb: The little constant meals is a good idea too. Theres tons of health bars and such too if you wanted to do it that way.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:

a) quite expensive and

Well yes, bulking products tend to be mainly protein meant to be taken in addition to a meal rather than in place of it, which means that you've got to do the work yourself and work out how much of each food type you're getting (which is no bad thing). But it does mean that they'll be more effective if you're wanting to put on weight as muscle rather than fat and is much better as a suppliment to your diet. Slimfast I presume, contains a far more balanced combination of different foodstuff, and therefore is far better as a replacement.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:

a) quite expensive and

Alot of people think that buy drinking protein shakes are going to instantly add mass & strength to you, the body needs more protein than just one shake to grow. Its basically just protein in its purist form, like a multi vitamin. A cheap weight gainer from H&B on the other hand contain about 16g of protein (2 glasses of milk) & the rest carbohydrates. So there are say 500cals mostly from carbohydrates.

Kaffrin, I know your not suggesting buying slimfast. Your DR is correct, you need to only eat about 300cals over your maintenance to put on weight, but first you have to establish what your maintiance is.

I dont recomend him using either a weight gainer or slim fast. I think its more cheaper just to buy a bag of dextrose & mix it in with full fat milk.

And for the record, your average protein shake & slim fast are basically the same. Except one is marketed to put on weight & the other is marketed to lose weight.
  • Options
    I have found the nutritional list for slim fast.

http://www.slimfast.co.uk/pg.asp?strawbpowder

It has simular values to a regular protein shake. But not all protein shakes contain vitamins like slim fast does.
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    And for the record, your average protein shake & slim fast are basically the same. Except one is marketed to put on weight & the other is marketed to lose weight.
    HIT wrote:
    Slim fast is a product consumed when wanting to loose weight, hence having less calories. A regular chocolate nesquik has more calories than slim fast, so does weight gaining milkshakes. I just dont think its appropriate consuming a slim fast shake rather than a weight gain shake if they are trying to put on weight.
    kaffrin wrote:
    It's just marketing one way or the other. All slim fast is is a fortified milkshake that's easily available, and, if you're buying it in powdered form, dead cheap.

:chin:

For the record, I think you were the only one suggesting otherwise.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    :chin:

For the record, I think you were the only one suggesting otherwise.
    I was suggesting him buying a weight gainer (not a regular protein shake) that has a more concentration of calories, hence putting on weight, over slim fast that has only 200+ cals a serving.