Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Rise in anti semitism - Labour MP says "Jews have to accept responsibility"

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

And any implication that supporting the right of Israel to exist and its right to defend itself somehow justifies violence and discrimination is unacceptable and wrong.

Hang on - this strikes me as a tad hypocritical. You condemn violence and discrimination yet that's exactly what Israel does in "defending itself".
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Nonsense. Israel gets away with a lot more than other countries due to its support from the US. Look at what they're doing in Gaza - its virtually genocide. Nary a peep about it from most people.

But you seem to be prooving Dis's point. Now the occupation of Gaza may be nasty and it may be brutal, but its no where near genocide.
  • Options
    How am I proving dis's point? And what else do you call the collective punishment, brutalisation, murder and deliberate starvation of a entire group of people? It's not quite genocide but its not far off.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    How am I proving dis's point? And what else do you call the collective punishment, brutalisation, murder and deliberate starvation of a entire group of people? It's not quite genocide but its not far off.

Its a long way off genocide -
    Deliberate and systematic destruction of a racial, political, or cultural group.
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&lr=&defl=en&q=define:Genocide&sa=X&oi=glossary_definition&ct=title

For example, in WW2 the German occupation of Holland wasn't a bed of roses, which involved collective punishement etc, etc (and to a far worse level than Israel), but it wasn't an attempt at genocide

The word is bandied about way too much when refering to Israeli occupation, which suggests that israel is treated in a different way to oher participants in other wars such as Darfur or Lords Resistance Army, who a) are very seldom accused of genocide b) not nearly as reported even though its arguable that they are much more bloody
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    The word is bandied about way too much when refering to Israeli occupation, which suggests that israel is treated in a different way to oher participants in other wars such as Darfur or Lords Resistance Army, who a) are very seldom accused of genocide b) not nearly as reported even though its arguable that they are much more bloody
    Semantics aside, there is absolutely no denying Israel has been getting away with a catalogue of war crimes, illegal occupation, abuse, torture, murders and collective punishment that would have caused any other country to have been bombed to absolute fuck by that champion of freedom and democracy the USA several decades ago.

Israel has, quite literally, been getting away with murder for far longer than most of us have been in this world. And far from being attacked, and far from being boycotted, and far from being even criticised and condemned with any meaning by other governments, its disgraceful and nauseating behaviour continues to be tolerated and the country defended and accepted in the international community as any other country.

It is quite simply the biggest case of hypocrisy in the history of mankind.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Semantics aside, there is absolutely no denying Israel has been getting away with a catalogue of war crimes, illegal occupation, abuse, torture, murders and collective punishment that would have caused any other country to have been bombed to absolute fuck by that champion of freedom and democracy the USA several decades ago.

I'm not sure I'm disputing that Israel has done some bad things, but accusing them of genocide is more than semantics its either a misunderstanding of what israel is doing or what genocide is.

Israel has, quite literally, been getting away with murder for far longer than most of us have been in this world. And far from being attacked, and far from being boycotted, and far from being even criticised and condemned with any meaning by other governments, its disgraceful and nauseating behaviour continues to be tolerated and the country defended and accepted in the international community as any other country.

Again I'm not sure I 100% disagree. But others do the same or worse and there does seem to be a dispropinate look at the Middle East. Darfur for example has somewhere between 50,000 to 450,000 dead (most suggest around 400,000). Algeira between 60-100,000, the Lord's Resistance Army about 30,000 children alone.

These are no-where nearly well as reported or condemned as hypocrisy.
    It is quite simply the biggest case of hypocrisy in the history of mankind

Hyperbole and I'm afraid that put's me of any case you may have.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Its a long way off genocide -
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&lr=&defl=en&q=define:Genocide&sa=X&oi=glossary_definition&ct=title

For example, in WW2 the German occupation of Holland wasn't a bed of roses, which involved collective punishement etc, etc (and to a far worse level than Israel), but it wasn't an attempt at genocide

The mass deliberate starvation of an entire people is fairly close to genocide in my book.