Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

A boring thread for boring people

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    briggi wrote:
    Don't say I didn't warn you, this is a thread about electricals!

HOW in the hell do people afford the electrical goods they need? Over the last two days our hoover ran out of expensive, elusive hoover bags ....

You could try emptying the bag out a bit by hand, messy but possible.

or make your own bag out of an old cloth bag / sac - using a rubber band or cable tie to secure it
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I just "borrowed" a HiFi and speakers from an abbandonned building.
    Not like anyone is using them anyway, is it?

Anyway. Erm, I dunno. Electricals are a rip - for consumer goods like TVs and HiFis get cheap chinese stuff. Not brand name but cheap and damned cheerful.

Fridges and shit - second hand market mate. that is where its at.
  • Options
    alternatively, you could live like a bum and hoover your room once a month or so.......of course i'm far too respectable for that myself.
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    You sound like my parents haha, they have this little game they play called "LUXURY" where they both claim they had the hardest childhood.

Haha! My childhood was ok though tbh, it was when I left home I went back to the Victorian age! Actually that's not quite true, they had mangles and stuff. I'd have killed for a mangle!!
    I try very hard to appreciate what I've got but it's difficult when everything you've got keeps falling apart or dying on you. I'm getting excited about my trip to Tesco tomorrow now, how very sad.

I know, I'm just amazed at how primitive things were for me really! I know how much of a pita it is when things die on you and you can't just go out and buy a new one. I truly do.

As for being excited about going to Tesco.... it comes to us all in the end my dear. :p
  • Options
    Miffy wrote:
    When I left home I had a dustpan and brush, a sink and some lux flakes, a concrete shelf in the larder and a tiny portable black and white which I had to turn a dial on to change channel!
    you don`t know you`re BORN tbh.
  • Options
    Nothing wrong with by cheaper/second hand stuff. Sometimes it all you can afford when a student/just left home/on a tight budget etc. Places like the YMCA are good for white goods and they are thourghly checked before being resold, good for furniture as well.
  • Options
    you don`t know you`re BORN tbh.

LOL!

When I left home 10 years ago, I had a bin bag full of clothes and a stereo!
    Moved into a flat where nothing worked at all worked. I had to wash all my clothes by hand in the bath...wringing out wet jeans isn't funny cos it gives you blisters, and nor is waiting the week for them to dry either! I thought the oven didn't work and it took me a year to realise you had to press the auto button to turn it on...duuuh. We had broken night storage heaters too
    so at night you either risked fire from a fan heater or woke up with frost on both sides of the window :(

It's left me a bit traumatised and now whenever ANYTHING breaks down I loose the plot and don't calm down again until I get a replacement.

My suggestion - Trade It, free to collector section, freecycle or just ask around. If you know anyone that is moving home to parents after being away at uni ask them? Quite often they have loads of stuff like hoovers and microwaves etc that the parents don't want hanging about the house.
  • Options
    wringing out wet jeans isn't funny cos it gives you blisters, and nor is waiting the week for them to dry either!

SO true. Wringing out things like double sheets and big jumpers isn't much fun either.
    It's left me a bit traumatised and now whenever ANYTHING breaks down I loose the plot and don't calm down again until I get a replacement.

I'm just about over that now!

I remember my first fridge. Someone had fly tipped it, so we grabbed it! It was amazingly rusty on the outside so we covered it with sticky backed plastic!!! :lol: And it had a tendency to freeze things. But it was a fridge and I was made up. :rolleyes:

ETA: Yikes, just worked out it's nearly 20 years since I left home! Where'd the time go? :eek:
  • Options
    Places like asda or big tescos do appliances cheaper than most.
    Or ex display ones at places like comet.
    Or freecycle or tradeit.
  • Options
    do you have cash generator or is that a welsh thing? (i am actually from newcastle so i should really know but i cant remember!)
  • Options
    I thought i would use this thread to ask how far along you are? :)