Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Broadband for students

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm moving into a flat this week and want to get a good broadband deal. I heard some companies do deals for students which are like 9 month contracts as opposed to the usual 12. Does anyone know who does these?

Also, just in general, what good companies should I be looking at? There's only two of us so we have to split cost down the middle so it has to be reasonably affordable.

Comments

• Options
    All you need to know @ www.adslguide.org.uk :)
  • Options
    lots of places will do contracts with shorter terms, though it's normally more expensive per month. You might be better off considering if it's worth getting a cheaper 12 month contract and paying the extra. Who knows, someone might stay on.
  • Options
    If you're thinking of going cable, and telewest is an option then check this link out:

http://www.telewest.co.uk/html/student_pack/student_time_out_pack.html

In the past when i was signed up to telewest, i was with them for 8 months i think, gave them 1 or 2 months notice when i was moving out the house and they were fine with it.
  • Options
    I use http://www.tesco.net, its about £17 a month but its use is uncapped so theres no limit on how much you can download (a lot of companies now charge you if you go over your bandwidth quota). Also as much as I dislike the service AOL is pretty cheap and also uncapped now.

So, if your planning on using P2P or surfing all day (well what else is a student to do?) its best to go uncapped.
  • Options
    addicted7 wrote:
    I'm moving into a flat this week and want to get a good broadband deal. I heard some companies do deals for students which are like 9 month contracts as opposed to the usual 12. Does anyone know who does these?

Also, just in general, what good companies should I be looking at? There's only two of us so we have to split cost down the middle so it has to be reasonably affordable.

What kinda flat?

Univeristy accomodation or private?

Are you sharing the place? If so you could all chip in for the internet and use WiFi to share it.

I pay #15 per month for mine but for each person I recommend who take it up I get a 50p discount - so now it's like 13.99, just need another 28 people and it will be free .. LOL
  • Options
    It's 2 people living in a private flat.

Uncapped is probably what we want yes.

I would also like wireless broadband as we both have laptops and it would be a bonus to be able to use them whereever.
  • Options
    Ok, update.

I have no phoneline established in the flat yet. I believe the BT line calls £10.50 a month for a standard line. Then i was going to get Tiscali 2MB broadband for like £17.99 a month on top of that.

I looked into telewest's phone/internet/tv all inclusive deals but unfortunately they don't supply my street, even though they seem to supply the rest of fucking Edinburgh.

Should I just go for the BT standard line together with an outside company for broadband (Tiscali) or are there other alternatives I'm blatantly missing?
  • Options
    Cristal wrote:
    I use http://www.tesco.net, its about £17 a month but its use is uncapped so theres no limit on how much you can download (a lot of companies now charge you if you go over your bandwidth quota). Also as much as I dislike the service AOL is pretty cheap and also uncapped now.

So, if your planning on using P2P or surfing all day (well what else is a student to do?) its best to go uncapped.

if you decide to switch (bad customer service record) they wont transfer you as easily as the other people, youll have to get adsl deactivated and reactivated
  • Options
    have u tried ntl internet/phone/tv. thats supposed to be relativly cheep!
  • Options
    I looked at ntl but they have a capped service which I don't want. I didn't think they were that cheap either.
  • Options
    we're with ntl... we got a special deal- £10 a month.
  • Options
    What speed? Capped/uncapped? Is that phoneline included?
  • Options
    er... i dunno what capped/uncapped is? but no, i dont think the phonelines included, im sure we're paying £10.50 a month for that. but still, between us the phoneline and broadband only works out at £5 each a month. which is good!
  • Options
    If you don't have a phoneline, be careful with cost-if there is no line to the flat BT want nearly £80 to install a new one for you. However, its worth checking to see if there is one lying dormant there, if you havent already, because they will switch it back on for free.

The £10.50 BT deal is pretty good, but is actually £11.50, they advertise it as £10.50 because that is how much it is if you pay by direct debit.

I had NTL last year at £17.99 for phone and internet on a 9 month contract, but they were absolutely hellish to me and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone, not even my worst enemy.
  • Options
    Companies like Talk Talk or Homecall offer bt line rental at about 50p cheaper than BT do. They also sometimes do good deals on broadband and phonecall packages, so that might be worth looking into.
  • Options
    I'd watch out for the talktalk, sky broadband 'free' offers - they usually tie you into a 12 month contract. NTL aren't offering anything less than 12months this year either :confused:

Check this article out for some good considerations for students needing broadband, and a table showing the total you'd pay in 9 months on different contracts.

Cheers, Steve
  • Options
    we phoned ntl

8mb uncapped £10 per month for 12 months.

we were payi 25 for 2mb

whoever thought of wireless keyboards was an idiot, they just -dont- work
  • Options
    bit of an old thread. ;)
  • Options
    This is out of date!!

Hi there,

I realise that this page is slightly out of date. Think that getting advice on which broadband to choose is still a prob- here's a page I wrote for Top 10 Broadband (earning a bit of money as a student- woo hoo) and even though I say it myself I think it's pretty helpful...

http://www.top10-broadband.co.uk/types/student-broadband/

Take it easy xx
  • Options
    Little gem of a company by the name of adsl24, switched to them after a bloody awful time with Pipex can couldn't be happier. Never had a moments problem and the people who work there actualy answer the phone, talk to you like you're a person and if that wasn't enough know what they're talking about and don't charge you the earth. Yes I know I sound like I work for this firm but finding a great internet connection is like finding twenty quid down the back of the sofa when you're skint.
  • Options
    This thread is nearly 3 years old :o
  • Options
    Yeah but like death and taxes there will always be students and students will always need a good reliable value for money internet connection. How else are you going to look at funny stuff on youtube.
  • Options
    Have you ever heard of adslguide, though? There's a whole website already dedicated to this kinda stuff.
  • Options
    People would normaly google something like 'broadband for student's

No more replys please :) - Let this thread die peacefully
  • Options
    It's not that really. It's just some of the stuff at the top of the thread is fairly well out-dated, and we wouldn't want people reading it and thinking it was relevant
  • Options
    broadband for students

I found www.broadbandforstudents.com and went with Be! You can search by post code or phone number and comes up with all the best deals for students :)
  • Options
    Thread from the dead twice over?

Does this make it a keegan thread?
  • Options
    i think it might :chin:
  • Options
    These guys get paid to post, you know. They don't care if it's dead or not.
  • Options
    <Plays: Usher - Let it burn>