Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Ever feel like you're wasting your youth?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm 24 and feel like I'm wasting what's left of my youth. I live in a crappy little town but can't leave as I'm tied into a contract to work here for the next 2 years.

My friends all seemed to have settled down and spend all their time with their boyfriends/kids, or have moved away.

All week at work I look forward to the weekend but then I don't do anything. This weekend all I've done is watch TV, clean my flat, go to the gym and go on the internet.

I want to do stuff like go travelling but I'm only allowed a maximum of 2 weeks at a time off work, not enough time to really do anything.

Hmm I'm probably just whining for nothing but does anyone else ever feel like they waste being young?

Comments

• Options
    I did, so I quit my job, but then I had no money :(, so now doing another job temporarily that I'm enjoying and where I'm able to 'live my life' so to speak. Maybe you need a change? Is there no get-out clause of your contract?
  • Options
    You don't need to go far or spend loads of money to have a good time, but I know exactly what you mean. Do you know someone in the next town to go and stay with for a weekend? Why don't you get a rail pass for your local area and see where your feet take you one weekend?

Sometimes I'm a bit envious of my work colleagues who can go out on a night and spend £50 without thinking about it, but then they're jealous of me with my house and my wife and my kitten and my dishwasher.
  • Options
  • Options
    I think I'm just moaning cos I've had a boring weekend. Next weekend my friend's coming to stay and we're going to Arts Fest, then in a month I'm going to Morocco for a bit of adventure. It's not all bad. You just feel like a boring loser if you stay in on your own on a Saturday night too often.
  • Options
    I am envious of a kitten, wish I could have a pet!
  • Options
    no because we make our own life choices. sure we have responsibilities that tie us down sometimes but sometimes you have to just grab oppurtunities with both hands. you're not married with kids yet, i say do it now before it's too late!
  • Options
    When I was about 18/19, I thought I'd take a year out from starting a serious career and just get a job, a flat, and have a few drinks at the weekends, have a laugh etc.

I'm almost 23 now and I'm still on this "year out" :thumb:

I'm happy enough though but I do reckon (after a couple of drinks usually) there's probably something missing in my life, and that my existance seems a bit empty because I haven't actually got much to say for myself or to show for my life, y'know?

I'm having a good enough time though, so there's no point worrying probably.
  • Options
    Isn't your youth supposed to be wasted?
  • Options
    Nope, I'm in cork right now travelling ireland with my buddies, met gary jules on friday night, getting wasted flat out. Madness!
  • Options
    Yup i'm also the exact same. Same age but dont have a contract with work that stops me just leaving. My biggest problem is lacking in friends to do things with. If i had it my way i'd be travelling about the UK and outside scotland all the time because thats the kind of thing i'd love to do.

Funnily enough i was just saying tonight i'm contemplating taking a week off work to go travel somewhere outside scotland even if its still in the UK because i think i REALLY need a break away from things here.
  • Options
    Your work mates are envious of the kitten? :eek:
    I'm jealous that you have a kitten!
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I do feel that way. I feel that way because my life is mostly composed of home and university, and I'm not outside having fun every day with friends or a girlfriend.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    my kitten

Got any pics of said kitten?
  • Options
    and in reply to this thread, yes i do.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    No.

I have made my choices and, although they are not what other people may choose, they are what I want and I am happy.
  • Options
    Yes. But definately not of the same caliber. I feel like I never take the initiative and always lose on my choices. I have so many regrets and I can't seem to escape this viscious circle of never daring and always fearing failure.

I know I'm not even near as old as the majority of the members here, but my measly 16 years feel so empty. People around me have done so much. My life feels incredibly empty, worthless and insignificant.

But there is no time not appropriate for change, right?
  • Options
    When I see that I've made over 5,000 posts on this website then yes I do.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Randomgirl wrote:
    When I see that I've made over 5,000 posts on this website then yes I do.
    Posting here isn't really wasted time IMO -remember that we're all real people. The way you contact us shouldn't matter, apart from not being able to go to the same place.
  • Options
    I have no idea. I'm beginning to hate my youth tbh. I want to leave college, and get through uni as quick as possible, with as little debts as possible. I swear I live in a dream world though.
  • Options
    mine was wasted ages ago
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:
    Got any pics of said kitten?

Tsk, FILTH :p

To answer the question, kind of... at times. I think I have made quite a lot of my life and experiences so far, and am still making quite a lot of it to be honest. Could be the whole "jobshy hobo" thing I've got going on, it has been - and still kinda is - very conducive to a selfish and misspent youth.
  • Options
    yes. Not like there's anything to be done about it anyhow, might as well enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    Not wasted, just extremly dull.
  • Options
    Every damn day. :impissed:
  • Options
    It's safe to say most of my youth years were a total waste of time. Only in the last year or so have I actually started doing something useful with myself. In a sense, I've wasted 20 years.
  • Options
    Not really because everything that has happened made me who I am. And I still have lots to look forward to.

Forgive me, I've been a bit happy recently and it seems to agree with me :o
  • Options
    Not really no, I wouldnt change anything about the last few years of my life.
  • Options
    Infinite wrote:
    Not really because everything that has happened made me who I am. And I still have lots to look forward to.
    I agree with this totally!
  • Options
    I do feel like i have wasted a fair few years, unlike a lot of people if i could go back i would change quite a lot of things...
  • Options
    Well i think this year was abit of a waste for me .. but i aim to make up for that when i get to uni in September :D