Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

peaceful hippies at local rave attacked by........

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    yep it got torched and a policeman lost his finger, and whoever was responsible deserved what they got, but the point is that the police were swarming around for ages and there wasn't any trouble at all until they started charging over the hill in riot gear, which is obviously going to provoke a few people into reacting especially if they're high as a kite and not thinking straight, i'm not making excuses i'm just saying they handled it all wrong.
  • Options
    You're still missing the point - you didn't have the right to be there.

Whether you knew it was illegal or not is irrelevant as ignorance of the law is not an excuse.

Frankly you ought to be grateful that trespass is only a civil offence as if it was a criminal offence you'd all have been rounded up and arrested...
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    There's no need to make this personal. Though, for the record, I think that liberal hippies that are more than happy to break the law, then moan when the police come along, deserve more than a bit of teargas thrown at them

lol liberal hippies? no they were conservative actually, wtf.......listen don't take it personally, but if you think people dancing away in a field deserved to be teargassed, regardless of whether they are breaking the law, then you are definitely a moron.
  • Options
    lol liberal hippies? wtf.......listen don't take it personally, but if you think people dancing away in a field deserved to be teargassed, regardless of whether they are breaking the law, then you are definitely a moron.
    I'd prefer to see them all arrested, but if the police felt that teargassing was the best way to deal with the situation, I'm not going to criticise them for it.
  • Options
    yep it got torched and a policeman lost his finger, and whoever was responsible deserved what they got, but the point is that the police were swarming around for ages and there wasn't any trouble at all until they started charging over the hill in riot gear, which is obviously going to provoke a few people into reacting especially if they're high as a kite and not thinking straight, i'm not making excuses i'm just saying they handled it all wrong.

Yep I agree, it's a fucking rave, they couldn't have expected for everyone to just say: "Oh yes officers, we are sorry, we will just go now..."

Like people on drugs would ever react like that...

But as I said it happends and it have to be expected from the police once in a while... frankly I don't think what's the big deal for either side...

For some of the squatters it will be a nice story to tell and bitch about the police, some will even be proud of it and for the police it will be the same... see how we beat the crap out of this junkies kind of thing...
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I'd prefer to see them all arrested, but if the police felt that teargassing was the best way to deal with the situation, I'm not going to criticise them for it.

lol listen to yourself dude you need a reality check. what specifically is it about an illegal rave that warrants a police response like what happened? or is it just the fact it's 'illegal', maybe if you could think for yourself you'd see it's the law, or more accurately the over-handed enforcement of it in favour of common sense, that's wrong and not the people breaking it, but then i know your view on drugs and druggies (throw away the key right?) so it's completely pointless trying to engage you in this discussion, goodnight.......
  • Options
    lol listen to yourself dude you need a reality check. what specifically is it about an illegal rave that warrants a police response like what happened? or is it just the fact it's 'illegal', maybe if you could think for yourself you'd see it's the law, or more accurately the enforcement of it, that's wrong not the people breaking it, but then i know your view on drugs so it's completely pointless trying to engage you in this discussion, goodnight.......
    You might not remember this, but I was having a debate about the issue of drugs a few months back. I'd claimed that anyone taking them should be locked up. This offended a considerable number of people on the boards. Later, it became clear that I was wrong to point this out, and I promised to go away and learn more about the subject. Having since done that, my views on drugs are not the same as then. Had you bothered to read any of my more recent posts, you'd know I think all drugs should be legalised and taxed. Get your facts straight before trying to attack me for views I don't hold.

The police enforced the law in the way they deemed best at the time. Obviously, not everyone will agree with the way they did it. I, however, think that they did the best of a difficult job. Teargassing may not have been entirely a good idea, but if they felt they had no other option to deal with these ravers, (who were there illegally, lest we forget) I won't criticise them for it. Try and appreciate the fact that, were this a criminal offence, you'd all have been carted off to the nick. What's wrong with holding a legal rave in the first place?
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    You might not remember this, but I was having a debate about the issue of drugs a few months back. I'd claimed that anyone taking them should be locked up. This offended a considerable number of people on the boards. Later, it became clear that I was wrong to point this out, and I promised to go away and learn more about the subject. Having since done that, my views on drugs are not the same as then. Had you bothered to read any of my more recent posts, you'd know I think all drugs should be legalised and taxed. Get your facts straight before trying to attack me for views I don't hold.

The police enforced the law in the way they deemed best at the time. Obviously, not everyone will agree with the way they did it. I, however, think that they did the best of a difficult job. Teargassing may not have been entirely a good idea, but if they felt they had no other option to deal with these ravers, (who were there illegally, lest we forget) I won't criticise them for it. Try and appreciate the fact that, were this a criminal offence, you'd all have been carted off to the nick. What's wrong with holding a legal rave in the first place?

:banghead: , i'm sorry but it's like talking to a brick wall ffs.........okay so in one instance you overcame the view you came to held through dodgy misconceptions, the media, whatever........you now accept the drug laws are wrong and should be changed........so please answer my previous question, what specifically is wrong with an 'illegal' rave that deserves such a response? why did the police even have to 'deal' with the ravers, why couldn't they keep on monitoring the situation and just keep an eye on things? what would've happened if they'd carried on raving, would the whole world have ended? look at it from a common sense point of view, not 'well it was illegal so the police were right to teargas them', it's not always black and white.......
  • Options
    so please answer my previous question, what specifically is wrong with an 'illegal' rave that deserves such a response?
    Maybe the teargassing wasn't the best approach to take in retrospect, but hindsight is a wonderful thing. The police had to break it up one way or another - they're the ones who have to enforce our laws - so they had to do something. Don't aim your anger at the police for doing their best in difficult circumstances. Aim your anger towards useless Tory politicians who passed such suppressive laws in the first place.
  • Options
    [QUOTE=Senor Miguelso please answer my previous question, what specifically is wrong with an 'illegal' rave that deserves such a response? ...[/QUOTE]

Because you're taking advantage of something which doesn't belong to you perhaps?

I'm beginning to get the :banghead: feeling myself.
  • Options
    i'm not the tory's biggest fan but it is up to the police to use their discretion when enforcing the law, that's why when you get caught with weed or a few pills at a festival they don't haul you off to the nick, because it's a waste of time and money, just like this bungled op was.........the cops were there the whole time but it was nearly 24 hours after it all started that they went in, the whole response was well planned and co-ordinated well in advance, not some reaction to a disturbance, it was nothing more than a show of force and very little to do with enforcing the law or they would have made a serious attempt as soon as they found out......
  • Options
    They didn't send in the riot police to break up an illegal rave. They only sent in the riot police when a police car was burnt out and police were injured. What were they supposed to do? Hold hands and start a sing along in the hope the rioters would piss off.
  • Options
    To be fair, rereading the report it's not entirely clear, even from what the police said, when the car was burnt out - although they do describe an rough reaction when they went to negotiate the shutting down of the rave in a small number.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    They didn't send in the riot police to break up an illegal rave. They only sent in the riot police when a police car was burnt out and police were injured. What were they supposed to do?

well that's one version of events, like i said it had been going on 24 hours already and the police were there the whole time but had no trouble at all from anyone, so why would people suddenly start assaulting officers and torching cars? from what i heard the riot police came in just after 7, surrounded the rigs and started getting confrontational, what happened after that is anyone's guess.....

ETA: when i got the call that riot vans were already on the way i didn't believe it at first because the whole thing was carrying on as normal, no scuffles at all so really the whole thing stinks of pre-meditated violence provoked by the police.
  • Options
    Which bears out the version that they didn't decide to teargas an illegal rave, but went in after they tried to close it down peacefully and were attacked.
  • Options
    There was an interesting article in the Observer about the return of the rave scene in Britain.

In cases where private land is being spoilt or damageed, or if the noise is disturbing local residents I have no problem with the police acting in a sensible way to stop the rave.

But in cases where no farmland or private land is being damaged or spoilt and nobody else is being disturbed I have no problem whatsoever with people assembling in a forest, field or wasteland with sound systems and partying through the night. Any police that decides to break up such party are being twats and asking for trouble, "illegal" or not the rave might be.

Let's remember the current law is an ass deviced by the evil Witch and that prohibits more than 10 people to assemble and play "music of a repetitive beat nature", whether indoors or outdoors. WTF? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I used to be into the Forest party scene in a big way and I've seen the way the police behave on a few occasions. I've seen people cracked over the head for trying to protect their own property, I've seen equipment siezed form private land where we had permission, people sprayed in the face with CS just for arguing with the ob, the police and are rarely reasonable.

I'm gald the scene is picking up again. It must be that people are fed up with licensed clubs, bouncers, piss heads, £3 bottled water, stifiling heat, street violence, CCTV, sniffer dogs etc etc
    With what happened at the Fridge back in April, your not safe in legal venues anymore anyway. There the police left hundreds of clubbers severely pissed off, out of pocket, and many subject to the stress of interogation and searches. If we're paying to be made to feel like a criminals in a supposedly legal venue, why not just feel like one at a free party?

Most of the people that put these parties on clean up after themselves. They're not stupid, they know it makes no sense to put all the effort into organising these events if your going to leave mess and be discovered. Trouble only ever occurs when the ob turn up.

Fuck the gavers and fuck the Criminal Justice Bill.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    I'm gald the scene is picking up again. It must be that people are fed up with licensed clubs, bouncers, piss heads, £3 bottled water, stifiling heat, street violence, CCTV, sniffer dogs etc etc
    Spot on.
  • Options
    I'm in 2 minds, it seems like the cops went overboard but without full details I'll keep an open mind but I am inclined to listen to the ravers view more so. I've been arrested a few times for silly littel things, never charged but I know how the cops twist things. They even twisted things when I was mugged, yes it was against the mugger but it was still twisting it because they had a tip off from when the case was ajourned. Though that probably got the conviction, however it wasn't like I didn't know this person was the attacker. I recognised them instantly.
    But you are still on someone else's land, regardless of what your views are on using the land.
    Who really knows what went off? With thta many people there, they probably wouldnt know what was happening to everyone.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Any police that decides to break up such party are being twats and asking for trouble, "illegal" or not the rave might be.

No they're not, they're simply doing their job.
    Let's remember the current law is an ass deviced by the evil Witch and that prohibits more than 10 people to assemble and play "music of a repetitive beat nature", whether indoors or outdoors. WTF? :rolleyes:

The law was presumably simply drafted in such a way as to deal with the problem at hand.

It's not ideal, I agree. So instead, why not just make trespass a criminal offence? Problem solved.
  • Options
    LeedsLad wrote:
    No they're not, they're simply doing their job.
    Yes, and coppers who arrest someone who's having a quiet joint minding his own business are also technically speaking 'doing their job'.

And they're also utter twats.

The law was presumably simply drafted in such a way as to deal with the problem at hand.
    What problem was that, exactly? Young people gathering, listening to music and having fun? Why, we can't have that of course.
    It's not ideal, I agree. So instead, why not just make trespass a criminal offence? Problem solved.
    Why would you want to do that?

How about repelling the existing stupid law and letting people assemble in certain fields/forests/wastelands that are nobody's property and/or delerict, and let them have an all night party if they want?

It's not as if the police didn't have better things to do...

Edited to add: trespass is already an offence IIRC. But not all the venues chosen for the raves are private property, by any means. And some others are private property but the owner consented to them. And some others the owner actually doesn't care so long as the place is left tidy and in order.

Any coppers who bust a rave held in, say, a forest (which belongs to nobody as such) or to private land where the owner has given permission are being twats and should not be surprised if people react unkindly to their utterly pointless party pooping antics.
  • Options
    It isn't the police's job to amend the law. That's Parliament. Personally I have a problem with unelected organisations going against the democratically elected Parliament and deciding what they will or will not enforce, but hey that's just me.

PS - As an aside I'd be interested in how many of those who suggest the police shouldn't enforce the law when it comes to raves also feel the same way when it comes to hunting.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    As an aside I'd be interested in how many of those who suggest the police shouldn't enforce the law when it comes to raves also feel the same way when it comes to hunting.

:yes:

Good point.
  • Options
    lol well it's obvious from most of the replies that people here have probably never met a 'hippie' or been to a rave because there's an awful lot of hostility based on stereotypical preconceptions, SG you've obviously never had teargas in your eyes or you wouldn't be talking such a load of crap.

What on earth are you wanking on about?

Police get their cars fire-bombed, so they sent the riot boys in. It's not fucking rocket science.

If these peace-loving hippies had moved when they were told to there wouldn't be an issue. They didn't, the police had men and property damaged, and as someone else had already said, if you play with the big boys you're going to get hurt.

Aladdin is in favour of violent reprisals when its against people he doesn't like. BNP having a peaceful march? Batter them! Peaceful country hunt? Kick their head in! Destroying hundreds of acres of someone else's land, causing a serious civil disturbance? Sure, go right ahead, those police are bastards!

The police don't wade in with the riot gear unless there is at least the semblance of a need. I'm inclined to believe that they were OTT, but the ravers should piss off when told to.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Why would you want to do that?

Because it would act as a deterrent to people occupying land which doesn't belong to them without permission. Presumably it would also make it easier to remove people without a riot breaking out as there would be no value judgement to make as to whether an offence had been committed.
  • Options
    All land nominally belongs to the crown, so there is no land which doesn't belong to anyone at all.

Whilst I sympathise with people having peaceful and trouble-free parties in places with landowners' permission, at the same time for the safety of everyone around these big parties do need to be broken up.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    The police don't wade in with the riot gear unless there is at least the semblance of a need. .

That's not true.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Whilst I sympathise with people having peaceful and trouble-free parties in places with landowners' permission, at the same time for the safety of everyone around these big parties do need to be broken up.

Clubs are far more dangerous and unpleasant places though.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    All land nominally belongs to the crown, so there is no land which doesn't belong to anyone at all.
    do you agree with that?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    at the same time for the safety of everyone around these big parties do need to be broken up.
    Quick question, do you mean for the safety of the ravers, before the cops turn up?