Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

peaceful hippies at local rave attacked by........

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    SG you've obviously never had teargas in his eyes or you wouldn't be talking such a load of crap.
    No, I haven't had any teargas in my eyes. Why not? Mainly because I haven't been to any illegal raves recently.
  • Options
    LeedsLad wrote:

Like Fiend, Dis and Kermit, I have no sympathy for you.

Ditto
    you're all completely missing the point, the rave might have been illegal yes and so the farmer is well within his right to get people removed, but the manner they went about it was completely overhanded, you don't go charging in riot gear and start teargassing kids and young people before you've tried a normal approach, which they didn't........

But if they didn't know what to expect, they're bound to do this, aren't they?
  • Options
    They did try a normal approach - that's when a police car was set on flame and a police officer lost a finger.

You want to play bigs boys game you play big boys rules.
  • Options
    Is this the rave where 9 police officers were seriously injured and so the riot squad had to be called in with the fire brigade to use water-cannons to disperse the drunk rioting ravers? or a different rave to the one in the paper?
  • Options
    There is a link to the BBC article at the start of the thread.
  • Options
    I think its all very well for people to own huge chunks of land, but if its not being used and someone else uses it for something, its completely outrageous for them to be stopped, if theyre somewhere where theyre not causing a nuisance to anybody. I mean if its in someones garden, then yeah, thats a bit much, but if someone has acres and acres then i feel its a waste of taxpayers money to move on a few partygoers for the sake of one bloody farmer.

I mean I wouldnt go so far as to say all property is theft, but really i think the people should be able to use the land as long as its not a field in current use for crops or suchlike, and everything is cleared up after them.
  • Options
    So you'd be alright if you had some random people using land that belongs to you?
  • Options
    I think its all very well for people to own huge chunks of land, but if its not being used and someone else uses it for something, its completely outrageous for them to be stopped,.

Not if the 'something' is illegal it isn't.

As I've already said, trespass isn't a criminal offence.

However whatever they were doing clearly was.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    So you'd be alright if you had some random people using land that belongs to you?
    If i had shitloads of land that i wasnt using YES, as I said.
  • Options
    If i had shitloads of land that i wasnt using YES, as I said.

Even if they didn't bother asking your permission?
  • Options
    LeedsLad wrote:

As I've already said, trespass isn't a criminal offence.

However whatever they were doing clearly was.
    Illegal shmeagle. they make up new laws all the time. it doesnt make it a terrible crime worthy of riot police. Just let em get on with it.
    They should concentrate more on damage limitation, making sure people clear up after themselves rather than the way it currently is, only nightclub owners get to have huge parties. Its all because they want the licence fees and tax money on the alcohol bought.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

Do I believe Jim V or a whingeing stoner? :chin:
    i'd believe the guy who was actually there
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    :yes:
  • Options
    Illegal shmeagle. they make up new laws all the time. .

Breach of the peace has probably been on the statute book for as long as anything.

{QUOTE]They should concentrate more on damage limitation, [/QUOTE]

No, because that would send out the message that this kind of behaviour is acceptable.

making sure people clear up after themselves rather than the way it currently is, only nightclub owners get to have huge parties. Its all because they want the licence fees and tax money on the alcohol bought.

The point is that the taxes raised go towards the costs to society of dealing with the usual outbreak of trouble, eg. policing costs. It's the "polluter pays" principle...
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:

The police were there as well, weren't they?
  • Options
    LeedsLad wrote:
    Breach of the peace has probably been on the statute book for as long as anything.

Indeed
    No, because that would send out the message that this kind of behaviour is acceptable.

Exactly.
  • Options
    LeedsLad wrote:
    The police were there as well, weren't they?
    i wouldn't trust everything they say
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:

So, you'd believe a starnger over the police, would you?:confused:
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:

By the same token, I wouldn't trust everything the hippie/reveller had to say.
  • Options
    i just don't like the way you've all had a go at this guy and said he's a liar just because he's a "hippy" or "raver". i don't see the big deal that a load of people had a peaceful party one night in the countryside which didn't disturb anyone. and i don't think they deserved to be attacked by a load of riot police.
  • Options
    Well the Police need to do some training once in a while otherwise they get rusty... Nothing new here... Most of squat/free parties are left untouched but one in a while the Police get it and kick the crap out of everyone... That's how it is... I have done a loads of these parties and that a risk you take, I don't agree with what the Police did here, but let's be fucking honest here, it's not the first time and it won't be the last and anyone who did enough squat/free parties know that... It was just bad luck, that's all...

That's why at a general use do squat parties inside, it's less easy for the Police to get it and cos of that they more often let you finish it and finish your drugs :D
  • Options
    I never said he was lying.:confused:

The big deal is that it was illegal.
  • Options
    so is throwing your gum on the street. SEND IN THE RIOT COPS
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    I never said he was lying.:confused:

The big deal is that it was illegal.

Spot on :thumb:
  • Options
    so is throwing your gum on the street. SEND IN THE RIOT COPS

But throwing gum on street isn't breaching the peace, is it?:confused:
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:

Neither is partying tbh...

People break the law in clubs every single weekends by using drugs, but no riots in clubs...
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:
    Haha that aint no riot.

watch this- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPvuFOK3SEI
    So the title of that movie would be "Welcome to Sunny Ireland" right?
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    No, I haven't had any teargas in my eyes. Why not? Mainly because I haven't been to any illegal raves recently.

so people who go to illegal raves deserve teargas in their eyes? think again moron.
    LeedsLad wrote:

ooooooooh, a lot of things in life have been made illegal mate, that's not gonna stop people who still have a mind of their own from trying to have a bit of fun, what i find more worrying is everyone unquestioningly following all these laws cos some clever people in a dark corner somewhere decided it was good for us, then going 'well it was illegal man, so what do you expect'........i expect to be treated like a normal person who pays his taxes and likes to have a bit of fun on the weekends, and i'm not hurting anyone else in the process so what the f**k is wrong with that?
    lipsy wrote:

thanks, i'd just like to point out that going to a rave for a few hours doesn't make me a hippy btw :P i'm just saying it how i saw it, i've never been to one of these things before so maybe a bit naive but i didn't even know it was illegal until later when i heard about the riot vans on the way, there were police everywhere from the start but as they weren't trying to shut it down and didn't stop us going in i figured they were just keeping an eye on things, nothing wrong with that i thought....
    LeedsLad wrote:

The point is that the taxes raised go towards the costs to society of dealing with the usual outbreak of trouble, eg. policing costs. It's the "polluter pays" principle...

please enlighten me, what peace was being breached? this was in a field a mile from the nearest house and next to the M11 so any noise from the rigs was drowned out by the traffic, it was completely cut off and causing no harm so why exactly did they have to waste a load of taxpayer's money and bring in hundreds of riot police from 4 counties to crush this thing? to me and from what i saw it was excessive and unnecessary........

you can't even argue that it was damaging the land or some shit because they picked a field that had already been harvested, so there's nothing the farmer can do with it for a good few months anyways.......

and lol kermit your hypocrisy is amazing, you'd take what the papers said over someone who was there, sorry a whinging stoner, when all the papers are doing is quoting the police, and your always the first one to point out what a bunch of tossers they are and that they always look after themselves and bury the truth, so why would they admit to over-reacting and setting things off by getting confrontational? believe what you like mate i was there and i know what the score was, the whole operation was nothing less than a fucking disgrace.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:

Depends if it sets fire to a police car and cut a policeman's finger off ;)

Did a car really get set on fire, or is that rubbish?
  • Options
    so people who go to illegal raves deserve teargas in their eyes? think again moron.
    There's no need to make this personal. Though, for the record, I think that liberal hippies that are more than happy to break the law, then moan when the police come along, deserve more than a bit of teargas thrown at them. What were they doing on the land in the first place? If they want to have a rave, fine. Let them do it legally and properly. This isn't the early 1990s anymore. At the very least, they could have the decency to ask the farmer for permission to use his field.