Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Visiting a GUM clinic?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Due to the many threads about visiting GUM clinics, we decided to speak to an expert and answer all your questions for you. Hope it's helpful.

FAQ on visiting a GUM clinic

:)

Comments

• Options
    what is a gum clinic?? :confused:
  • Options
    You can find most gum clinics at a hospital . they are the sexual heath clinics .

they can deal with any sexual problem around

they mostly treat people with std`s and sti`s

most clinics have appointments or they tend to say come to the drop in clinics and be seen there and then. they are really helpful places and it is all completely confidential.

i hope that has helped answer your question

xx
  • Options
    Oh.... Okay.... it sure did Thanxss...
  • Options
    *gone*
  • Options
    what is a gum clinic?? :confused:

are u serious?? :crazyeyes
  • Options
    swank wrote:
    Do they do pregnancy tests to?
    yea they do and depending on where u live (london, thats where i am) its free as well.
  • Options
    cherridrop wrote:
    are u serious?? :crazyeyes

Fair's fair. They're not always known as GUM clinics. They might be known as 'sexual health clinics' (they are 'round here anyway) or 'Sexually Transmitted Disease' clinics although I think that name is out of favour these days.

For those who don't know... GUM is short for GenitoUrinary Medicine
  • Options
    Clap Clinic, surely? :D
  • Options
    ;(

sadly i habe had to visit a gum clinic after i was attacked it isn`t a nice place to go and they are dead helpful. it is the best place to go if you think you have picked up an infection and they are happy to help alway if you just need to talk about sex or being pregant anything really. they helped me alot my attackers made me very ill and they have helped me so much.
  • Options
    spanner wrote:
    Due to the many threads about visiting GUM clinics, we decided to speak to an expert and answer all your questions for you. Hope it's helpful.

FAQ on visiting a GUM clinic

:)
    I need to find somewhere that will give me free condoms
  • Options
    you can get lots of free condoms from GUM clinics. That's where i get mine from. I too was 'attacked' and spent 9 months there getting treatment. That was many many years ago and have learnt from it.
  • Options
    You can get free condoms from any family planning resource, gum clinic or local health centre - just call your GP's reception and they will tell you your nearest one
  • Options
    Whenever I've got in my local family planning clinic and asked for condoms, they always like, give out a little laugh, I'm guessing because I'm quite forward and uninhibited about asking...but still, embarrasses me a little.
  • Options
    KaylzD wrote:
    I need to find somewhere that will give me free condoms

well, where i live, there's a youth accepting clinic... when i try to translate it as good as possible.. there i can get free condoms... but i have absolutely no idea how this helps you :yes: :yum:
  • Options
    Do not under any circumstances ask the hot chick sitting next to you: 'So do you come here often?'
    You dont want to know the answer either way, trust me.
  • Options
    i got told by my ex who was apparently told at the clap clinic that because i drink so much at weekends i literally pissed the clap away coz i come back negative both times when she didnt
  • Options
    i got told by my ex who was apparently told at the clap clinic that because i drink so much at weekends i literally pissed the clap away coz i come back negative both times when she didnt
    :crazyeyes:
  • Options
    Jinx wrote:
    Do not under any circumstances ask the hot chick sitting next to you: 'So do you come here often?'

haha

yeah called family planning clinics here too.....going there tomorrow in fact they give you your supply of "pills" condoms and pregnency testing, and deal with STI's etc
  • Options
    any of you living in london and need to go to a GUM clinic, I would have to recommend the clinic at St Bartholemew's hopsital.
    I have had (unfortunately :( ) to go there a few times this year and I have to say that every member of staff i have met there (nurses, doctors, health advisors, even the receptionist) has been brilliant. they are professional but friendly and did everything possible to make me feel at ease. They were also really approachable, sensitive and understanding when I had lots of questions and when I was also pretty upset about things at one point.

I have since told friends about the service I received there and they have been along too and also said everyone they met was just great.

I think it is really important for a place to have staff like that because the thought of going to a GUM clinic can be really scary and most people I know would put off going unless they really had to. knowing that you will be dealt with sensitively can encourage more people to go along.
  • Options
    yes but also GUM clinics think everyone is sleeping around!
    i went about a thrush test which is not due to sleeping with other people and they said my boyfriend of 5 years must be cheating on me! which is not true they havnt even got the test results back yet and they still force judgement on me.!
  • Options
    and cant you go to a GUM clinic for just a check up! does there have to be a reason??? theres loads of posters all over the place saying " its best to get checked out......if you got your first gf or need some advice. its like you cant go and get a full check up without sleeping around!!
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    i went about a thrush test which is not due to sleeping with other people and they said my boyfriend of 5 years must be cheating on me!

:eek: That's pretty awful. I would consider making a complaint tbh.
  • Options
    there well nice to you in GUM clinics and helpful although they do ask alot of questions but thats sorta alright...
    but yay free comdoms!
  • Options
    yes but also GUM clinics think everyone is sleeping around!
    i went about a thrush test which is not due to sleeping with other people and they said my boyfriend of 5 years must be cheating on me! which is not true they havnt even got the test results back yet and they still force judgement on me.!
    Yeah, I've had this experience with some clinics too. They call it 'meeting people', like 'you're still young and "meeting people"' or something, in a euphemistic manner. The first time I went for a checkup I was 18 and they were being really brusque / insensitive and also kept banging on about 'your first sexual partner' and 'the first time you had sex', I said, what, 4 months ago and they seemed truly astonished and had to backtrack. I think it's very much down to the one you go to and what doctor you get and what (if anything) their 'bedside manner' is.
    Mind you, I now can get, and have got, chronic panic attacks in docs' chairs such as those examining ones - I hate the sight of them, it terrifies me - and so have to warn people before I get examined. I'm always interested how quickly that changes people's tune.
  • Options
    Just been to the FPC today as I wanted the implant fitted..I'd been to my gp, who doesn't fit them, but wrote me a letter for the FPC, so I went today.
    The doctor there was horrible to me, and was not at all helpful. I left feeling really small and stupid, I only wanted to be protected from having a baby!
    I explained that I had discussed everything with my GP, but they still treat me horribly.
    Im 21 with no STI's,never had and only had 1 sexual partner, so I wouldnt like to think how they would treat someone who's pregnant, younger and with STI's.
    If my doctors could fit the implant, I wouldn't go there again, but unfortunantly they don't, so i'v got to go back in 2 months
    :crying:
    Anyway, that was just my experience of going.
  • Options
    and cant you go to a GUM clinic for just a check up! does there have to be a reason??? theres loads of posters all over the place saying " its best to get checked out......if you got your first gf or need some advice. its like you cant go and get a full check up without sleeping around!!

Yes that is what they are there for. If you have had unprotected sex then there is always a risk of an STI. I last went with my husband so we could stop using condoms. We just wanted a clean bill of health first and this was the only way of doing it. Some nurses in general practices (Doctors surgeries) will offer STI checks, though not all of them offer checks for HIV or Hepatitis C

People need to realise they have more chance of catching an STI with unprotected sex than they ever have of winning the lottery.
  • Options
    Jinx wrote: »

In my experience clinics are segregated into male and female areas so that wouldn't be an issue for me :)

Unless I were gay, which I'm not.
  • Options

You cannot "piss" away the clap :)

It requires treatment.

Edit: the clap, or Gonorrhea, is one of the STI's tested for when at the GU clinic.

The STIs that are tested for include: Gonorrhea, Syphilis, Chlamydia and electively HIV - a little tip on the HIV test though - I was advised NOT to mention it to the life insurance company as you could make yourself uninsurable simply by going for the test. They see it as though you've put yourself at risk and therefor a bad risk for them.

Many clinics in the UK now provide a "quicktest" for men (though I'm not sure about women's) - all is requires is for the man to hold his water from the night before and provide a sample for the GU nurse - beats that nasty swapping! I always go for all tests because I like to be completely sure.

Don't forget that the HIV anti-bodies take about 3 months to be produced so you have to wait that long before getting tested from the date you put yourself at risk.

Enjoy !
  • Options
    Chlamydia

Chlamydia is currently the most contracted STI about at the moment - it's treatable generally with doxycycline but seek advise.

It is symptomless as well but could lead to women becoming infertile - the effects on men is not yet known.
  • Options
    you have no idea

how that may help you..been there, done magic

:shocking: