Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Royal Mail

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
I don't understand this whole size and weight malarky.

Can we not just post our cards and letters with a first class stamp on as usual?

Do we have to go the post office with all of our post?

ARGH.

I'm proper confused with it all.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    its pretty straight forward

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/content2?catId=400105&mediaId=21100324&campaignid=piptopleftpromo

most mail stays the same, letters etc can still go with a normal stamp.
  • Options
    Do A4 letters need two stamps then?

It looks like thats got 2 stamps on it.
  • Options
    You know, for a law student, you're pretty crap :p.

Letter prices

A4 envelopes need 44p on them if under 100g. :)
  • Options
    As long as you stick everything in normal size envelopes it's simple as before. If you want to be difficult and send big stuff then you need to think harder.
  • Options
    Are they going to sell all these different sized stamps at the normal shops?!

FUCKING HELL.

It seems as though we've got to go to the post office with anything bigger than a small envelope to be weighed tbh.
  • Options
    are you serious?? even before this change most larger envelopes and packages required more than 1 first class stamp anyway as they weighed more than a 1st class stamp would cover, therefore needing to pay the shortfall before letter was delivered.

this change shouldnt effect anyone much at all apart from paying slightly more for large packages.

you can still put on extra stamps to make up the cost, such as a 1st and 2nd class or 2 1sts etc...
  • Options
    The joys of opening the postal market, you tie the hands of the Post Office in terms of pricing and what they can do, yet give the most profitable bits to competitors - then complain when the Post Office looses money.

Either let them be completely private or stop competition in anything but parcels.
  • Options
    well if you are sending sheets of A4 and you can fold them over to fit into a normal envelope, then that would save you money
  • Options
    An A4 envelope is a large letter, so you need a large 1st stamp. You can buy books of both large and normal 1st stamps.

That's why we've basically been banned from sending A4 envelopes at work, we've now got piles of A5 but A4s are like gold dust.
  • Options
    My work doesn't care. Just proves that universities have more money than sense.
  • Options
  • Options
    If this seems difficult, should you really be posting them anyway?

Y'know, just in case putting it in the postbox is a bit too perplexing.

it might eat your hand
  • Options
    It's a letterbox, not a hamster :p
  • Options
    If this seems difficult, should you really be posting them anyway?

Y'know, just in case putting it in the postbox is a bit too perplexing.

I have a fear of events spiralling out of control and ending up inside the post box.

That would only be fun for the first three hours, then I'd probably run out of old women to scare.
  • Options
    Not if you were inside a postbox in Eastbourne.
  • Options
    Infinite wrote:
    I have a fear of events spiralling out of control and ending up inside the post box.

That would only be fun for the first three hours, then I'd probably run out of old women to scare.

be a bugger if royal mail lost you in the post
  • Options
    Give over you lot, it actually is quite complicated now :yes:
  • Options
    We have packet post at work so that makes life a bit easier. But I have to split the bill out so its actually still annoying as it takes me about half an hour to do one months worth.
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    Sorry briggi. *slaps own wrist*
  • Options
  • Options
    That'll learn you! :impissed:
  • Options
    briggi wrote:

no its still quite simple

if you have something that is smaller than A4 and doesnt weigh a bomb, then there is a set price for first and second class

if you have something that is A4 sized or heavy etc, then theres another set price

and it goes on with size and weight etc, i really dont see how its that complicated
  • Options
    It's complicated for people in Preston.
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    That'll learn you! :impissed:
    I'd try to correct you, by saying you mean 'teach', but in fact that comes from a Viking word 'laeran' which means teach. Only cause you are geordie though, other wise you would be wrong :p
  • Options
    It's not just about being A5/A4 and a certain weight though, it also goes on thickness as I was SHOWN at the Post Office today by a very bemused young man. I doubt you were in the PO today so I feel as though I am an authority to be perfectly honest :p

He said to squash parcels as flat as you can as they are also priced by that method, so ner to you (Gareth).
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    It's not just about being A5/A4 and a certain weight though, it also goes on thickness as I was SHOWN at the Post Office today by a very bemused young man. I doubt you were in the PO today so I feel as though I am an authority to be perfectly honest :p

He said to squash parcels as flat as you can as they are also priced by that method, so ner to you (Gareth).

i also recently was in the post office, and had an interesting conversation with the man behind the counter

suffice to say, i dont often send anything abnormal through the post

i think its more confusing that when they themselves have worked out what band your package needs to be placed in, they ask if you want a signature for when its delivered, delivered next day, recorded delivery

theres still so many options that havnt changed that could bemuse and confused the most sensible of people, yet after a mass advertising campaign, thats probly failed because people dont usually take notice of anything anymore, people get confused over something thats not really that scary
  • Options
    Recently doesn't count, as the changes only came into practise today :thumb:
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    Recently doesn't count, as the changes only came into practise today :thumb:

yes it does, cause i asked the man to explain what the changes were, and how much different it would cost me to post my A4 envelope of photos when the changes did come into effect

it was quite quiet in the post office that day, i had quite a lengthy chat
  • Options
    Well he obviously didn't inform you of the WEIGHT issue, did he?

Ooh, I am in a very contrary mood tonight. Ha ha ha :razz:
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    Well he obviously didn't inform you of the WEIGHT issue, did he?

Ooh, I am in a very contrary mood tonight. Ha ha ha :razz:
    yes because your up the duff

p.s. thickness issue, not weight issue