Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

start date

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
if my course starts on the 25th of september which is the monday whens the best day to get there?

persuming im even gonna get my grades *crosses fingers*
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I'd probably go there on saturday.....
  • Options
    yeah saturday seems like a good day. my course started on 24th/25th last year and i got there on saturday too :) thats what most people did i found
  • Options
    At my uni you could only arrive at the halls on sunday unless you were an international student and had to get there earlier. Your uni should tell you when you can arrive, but yeah if you can go earlier then its cool cos you can settle in.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    It all depends on when you are able to move in to your accommodation. Take it from there.
  • Options
    Well what about freshers week? If your course starts on the 25th, don't you move in a week before, have freshers and then start? Thats whats happening with me.
  • Options
    i'm gonna try go back for freshers week. gonna be my last yr. :eek2:
  • Options
    For first years, I recommend being there for freshers week. Especially if you're in halls.
  • Options
    all the free stuff in freshers week, its immense

durham students come back on the 1st october (sunday)
  • Options
    yeah, find out when your freshers week is and then if you can, move in on the Sat before it starts.
  • Options
    if my course starts on the 25th of september which is the monday whens the best day to get there?

persuming im even gonna get my grades *crosses fingers*

My course starts on the 25th but I must be there a week before for registration and theres freshes. I move into accommodation on the 17th.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I restart on the 21st but can move in on the 1st - I will be away from home as soon as possible!
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    For first years, I recommend being there for freshers week. Especially if you're in halls.

Yeah, thats when people will be getting to know each other...it'd be awful if you turned up and everyone had already formed friendships without you. Plus there'll be loads of fun to be had in freshers week :hyper:
  • Options
    i started paying rent as of last tuesday. :mad:
  • Options
    I'm finding the start date issue frustrating as well. I'm going to Aber, & their letter says that Freshers Week starts on the 25th. But nothing about when halls open, & I want to get there as soon as I can to get properly settled in, & get the hell out of here ASAP. It's really bugging me, as I don't live with my parents (I'll be going as a mature student) so I need to know the exact date so I can tell the landlady when I'm moving, & arrange getting my security deposit back, & also I have a lot of stuff, so I'd need to hire a van to take it all down in.

In the end I settled that issue by deciding I would move back in with my parents at the beginning of Sept, so I won't have to pay rent for that month, & also that'll give me a few weeks for the landlady to hopefully get her arse in gear. They live in the next town so carting my stuff over there is fairly easy, & they'll be getting me to uni anyway as I can't drive.

Still feels like I'm living in a weird kind of limbo though, not knowing when I'm going exactly.
  • Options
    I'm finding the start date issue frustrating as well. I'm going to Aber, & their letter says that Freshers Week starts on the 25th. But nothing about when halls open, & I want to get there as soon as I can to get properly settled in, & get the hell out of here ASAP. It's really bugging me, as I don't live with my parents (I'll be going as a mature student) so I need to know the exact date so I can tell the landlady when I'm moving, & arrange getting my security deposit back, & also I have a lot of stuff, so I'd need to hire a van to take it all down in.

In the end I settled that issue by deciding I would move back in with my parents at the beginning of Sept, so I won't have to pay rent for that month, & also that'll give me a few weeks for the landlady to hopefully get her arse in gear. They live in the next town so carting my stuff over there is fairly easy, & they'll be getting me to uni anyway as I can't drive.

Still feels like I'm living in a weird kind of limbo though, not knowing when I'm going exactly.
    Have you tried phoning the residence office at your university? (Or whoever it is there that organise the accomodation?)
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    Have you tried phoning the residence office at your university? (Or whoever it is there that organise the accomodation?)
    I'm waiting a little bit longer to see if I get anything in the post about it. I'm pretty sure one of the letters I got when I got accepted said I'd get something in August... I don't wanna go through loads of hassle phoning up, & then get something the next day telling me all the info I needed.