Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The red balloon

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
After seeing jimv reccomend this film in a thread a while back and reading how other people raved about it, i saw it on ebay and decided to buy it.
Just wondered how many other people on here have seen it and what did they think to it?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    If the film ends with a mouse tied to the red balloon then I've seen it. If not, what's it about?
  • Options
    I do not know it either...whats it about? is it any good?
  • Options
    lol ok Ive just googled it and the film I'm talking about has nothing to do with Paris or anything.
  • Options
    the sypnopsis i found says this:
    Editorial Review of "Le Ballon Rouge" (Amazon) The late French filmmaker Albert Lamorisse made this classic, 1956 short work about a lonely little Parisian boy (Pascal Lamorisse) befriended by a large red balloon, which seems to have a will of its own. As with his preceding short, 1952's White Mane, Lamorisse took home a grand prize from the Cannes Film Festival for The Red Balloon, and the latter film also won an Academy Award. There have been some stimulating pieces of film criticism (some pro, some con) written about the aesthetics of this little movie over the years, but there's no question it makes for a touching, allegorical piece always certain to prompt conversations among viewers of any age. --Tom Keogh [refers to the VHS version] ...... DESCRIPTION: One of the most famous short films ever made, The Red Balloon is a childhood fantasy with appeal for viewers of every age. It is the story of Pascal, a lonely French boy who befriends a wondrous red balloon which follows him everywhere--to school and church--and even hovers outside his window when he is in his room. Filmed entirely in the picturesque back streets and narrow alleys of Old Montmartre, the film has been acclaimed through the world as an immortal masterpiece of lyrical poetry. The Red Balloon is both a beguiling fantasy and a touching allegory on the magic powers of love and friendship
  • Options
    We watched it in French in school I remember. Ironically, it had hardly any talking in it, so I don't see the point of showing it in a class that's supposed to be teaching you how to speak French.
  • Options
    It's ok. Bit airy for my liking (ironic seeing as the main character is a balloon). Just a bit wishy washy but ok.