Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Age difference...

Ok...so I went on this date with a guy tonight who was 26 (turning 27, at end of August) and he says he wants to see me again so its got me thinking. Does age difference really matter?

I'm only 20 and nowhere near 21 so its like a 7 year difference.

He's such a nice guy though. Well, at least he seems to be and I want to see him again too.

I'm just wondering what people's opinions are on age differences. I mean, I don't think my parents would be too happy about me dating a guy who is 27 to be honest and that is worrying me and making me think that is somehow wrong. I really like the guy though.

Opinions would be appreciated, cheers :)
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    when i was just turned 18 i went out with a 26yr old. it made me mature a lot actually and i learnt alot. go for it. age means fuck all. the only thing it will make a difference in is your wants and needs. but he knows how old you are so i doubt he's expecting marriage anytime soon.
  • Options
    Lipsy, did your parents have a problem with you dating a guy 8 years older than you?
  • Options
    You're over 18 so I don't think it's that bad. I know of at least two people who are dating someone that is at least eight years their senior.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Nah, I can't see any problem. It should make no real difference. You can probably learn off each other.
  • Options
    Lipsy, did your parents have a problem with you dating a guy 8 years older than you?
    well my mum was a bit worried at first. but she trusted me and so just said "well as long as its nothing serious". but once she'd met him and seen how well he treated me she didn't have a problem. we split up after a year because it turns out he did see me more seriously than i did him, but that could happen at any age (as i'm finding out now with my current boyf).
  • Options
    I don't see there being a problem. It's not like you're 15 and he's 22 or someting like that.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    (as i'm finding out now with my current boyf).
    Who's seeing who as more serious?

ETA: Sorry to derail the thread with my nosiness.
  • Options
    Who's seeing who as more serious?

ETA: Sorry to derail the thread with my nosiness.
    he's younger than me but sees us as more serious. im in a dilemma at the moment :(
  • Options
    Sod your parents, Stace. You either like the guy or you don't - and if you do, then he's worth a few awkward questions and the obligatory whinge from the oldies :).

Age difference can be problematic - it depends on the people involved. There will be times where your younger age is bloody obvious to him, but most of the time it'll not matter. And, likewise, there will be times where you think he's a proper boring old git - but even if you were on about someone the same age as you, then those two would happen from time to time.

Age is just a number, for the most part. You're old enough to do what you want - do it. :)
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    he's younger than me but sees us as more serious. im in a dilemma at the moment :(
    Hmm, awkward. Carry on 'casually' and you risk him getting even more attached and hurting him even more, if you don't come round to his way of thinking. It's a toughie. :chin:

But anyways, age differences. Yeah, they dont matter. :D
  • Options
    assuming a ladyperson is 18, how old do u think the oldest male could be that could go with her without causing a fuss?
    Without causing a fuss, or without causing issues in the relationship? Without causing a fuss, I'd say about 25 and over would start to cause raised eyebrows. But as for causing issues in the relationship, it only becomes an issue when you want different things from the relationship at different times, or you struggle to find things that you have in common with each other. Age isn't a factor.
  • Options
    I guess I only care when the girl/guy is old enough to be the significant other's child or when someone is 16 or younger.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Me and the boy have a 6 year difference. It makes no difference at all to our relationship. Except that I tease him that he is old :p
  • Options
    Except that I tease him that he is old :p

i am not old :p

But yeah, it's only a problem if *you* see it as a problem.

Since you've started a thread about it I can only guess that you do see it as something of an issue. Try not to dwell on it.
  • Options
    i dont see the big deal. Its not like hes your parents age. 20 and 27 isnt that big an age gap imo.

ive never had a relationship with someone the same age as me.
  • Options
    As most people know I'm in a age gap relationship, he's 14 years older than me, we've had problems- which I'm sure the age gap doesn't help, however, don't all relationships have problems here and there every now and again?

7 years isn't that much of a difference, and if you both like each other- then why not?
  • Options
    your-babe wrote:
    As most people know I'm in a age gap relationship, he's 14 years older than me, we've had problems- which I'm sure the age gap doesn't help, however, don't all relationships have problems here and there every now and again?

7 years isn't that much of a difference, and if you both like each other- then why not?
    i thought you'd broken up with him? :confused:
    there's a 3 1/2 year age gap in my relationship. I'm 16 and he's 20. That sounds alot but really it isn't. As long as you're at the same sort of maturity it shouldn't matter much.
  • Options
    I don't think it's a problem, 5 year difference in my relationship and it's not really been a problem. Like someone else said, age is just a number, it's the person who you want to be with that matters. You've got nothing to lose, so go for it.
  • Options
    Pish I once had a 5 year rule. Then I broke that and its now a 10 year rule. Stace, its nothing. Age is but a number. Unless he was 12 then I would discourage it :p
  • Options
    my friend is going out with a 38 year old and although i think shes mad, its her happiness thats counts.
  • Options
    I currently have an 80's rule. As long as they're born in the 80's I'm good to go.
  • Options
    *feels rejected*
  • Options
    Well I might make the odd exception.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    *feels rejected*
    Me too but i only just missed out on that.
  • Options
    I think I'm more bothered about the younger age limit to be honest. I know that 1990 is technically legal, but there's something about "I just finished school" that freaks me out a bit.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    nmm is 4 years younger than me. It makes no real difference when youre past childhood in my opinion
  • Options
    assuming a ladyperson is 18, how old do u think the oldest male could be that could go with her without causing a fuss?

Well if someone of any age called me a "ladyperson" I would cause a fuss! :p

Stacey I dont think that age gap is a problem at all and I'm pleased your date went well, obviously the preparation was well worth it!! :love: