Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Who Doesn't Get On With Their Siblings?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I don't I have one sister and think she's evil .. even her mobile phone number ends in 666

Comments

• Options
    I don't I have one sister and think she's evil .. even her mobile phone number ends in 666

:lol:

I don't get on with my sister, well, she does think it's a good idea to play her music so loud that it can be heard walking up the stairs...:rolleyes:

As for my brother - kind of, but I talk to him when I want something...
  • Options
    I have an older brother .. think we've grown out of the old sibling fighting thing. We get on really well.
  • Options
    My sister and I never used to get on, in fact we didnt speak for about a year. Now we're best friends, she's just spent the day at my house and we've been going mad on ebay :heart:

My brother, hmmm. I get on with him but it's his cow bag wife who I cant stand.
  • Options
    she is evil! that's the only resonable conclusion! :mad:

i have a brother... he is ok, but sometimes... he have just get drunk and crashed his car... hm... sometimes he really acts like complete idiot. :eek2:
  • Options
    I didn't get along with my siblings when I was young. Because, obviously, we were young. Now that we are all mature (17,21,24) we all get along greatly. My older brother calls and we talk and he visits, I call my younger sister, bought her some lip gloss today and can't wait till she visits.

When your young your not supposed to get along with eachother! The older you get though, the more you realize how much they mean and how special they are.
  • Options
    I don't really get on with my sister. We barely speak at all anymore. We have completely different views and attitudes about everything, and nothing in common. The same applies for my brother.
  • Options
    I have one slightly older sister... and we get on really well!

When we were younger we argued a bit, but it wasnt that bad!
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    she's coming around to the idea of just being my friend, rather than thinking that being my older sibling gives her the right to tell me what to do with my life.
    That's exactly the problem I had with my sister. I was the little sister who did all the things she wanted to do and she resented me for it totally. The biggest issue was me moving out of home and in with my boyfriend at 19 whereas she was 28 and still living at home.

It took a lot of years and a lot of hard work for us to get where we are now.
  • Options
    I have a sister a year older than me. We don't get on really at all. Since I moved out and went to uni we hardly speak, she makes a point of always being out when I come home for a few days. We used to fight loads as youngsters though too, like the time I tried to push her down the stairs, and she threw my wooden hairbrush at me in retalliation. I ducked and she broke the bathroom window :o
  • Options
    ive got an older sister. we used to fight and squabble all the time but we've both grown out of it long ago now and we're like the best of friends
  • Options
    My sister is a truly wretched human being.
  • Options
    My younger brother Ross and me get on alright. I reckon he's still got some issues because I'm that bit older (I'm 22 he's 20) but he is the total opposite to me. He works hard at uni, doesn't blow money on shit he doesn't need, just basically the model son that I aint.

I s'pose when I was younger I resented it a bit, but now it's my folks that I've the issue with and not him because they remind me of the above constantly.

Older brother (34) I get on with alright too, although he still thinks I'm not able to buy my own drinks when we go for a couple and just does act a bit patronising, which really gets on my tits.

I really do get on with my big sister Mairi though. I reckon we're probably the black sheep (she's got a motorbike and smokes) and we always bitch about the rest of the family.

Am in the middle of a big bust up with my folks though, so apparently they aint allowed to speak to me :(
  • Options
    I've got an older brother, and we don't really get on.

When we were younger, we used to fight like animals - he couldn't walk past me without getting a punch in, once had me up to the wall with a kitchen knife at my throat, and in retaliation I hit him over the head with a stool.

As we got older, we stopped physically fighting, and it turned verbal and snidey. Then we just didn't talk at all for years. We went to the same family functions, but we'd just totally blank each other.

Very recently, efforts have been made by other family members to bring us together, and we have had a couple of very strained, but quite civilised conversations. But it's really hard. We're like strangers.

Everyone used to say that as we grew up, we would stop fighting and get along really well. But now I'm 25 and he's 27, and still no sign.
  • Options
    me and my brother kind of get on, but its not always easy. Its better than it used to be. I think hes always had a kind of jealousy thing towards me, although that tends to manifest itself more as anger towards my mum. He can say some nasty things, and often does. We dont have any of the same political views, but I do like him and respect all the shit hes had to deal with, and I do feel defensive of him sometimes. He used to be horrid to me when i was younger. Really nasty, but hes calmed down a lot in recent years since he found Allah!
    We chat on msn sometimes, but thats about it.
  • Options

i have a friend who's number ends in 666 and she has 1 brother. :p

i have 2 older sisters. i'm 21 and they're 22 and 26. never had a problem with the older one because of the bigger age gap plus she hasn't lived at home for a number of years. me and the 22 year old used to argue like anything; i put it down to the 12 months and 3 weeks age difference. :p

it's much better since she moved out and i like seeing her but if we spend too long together in a confined space we start winding eachother up.
  • Options
    I have 2 half brothers and a 24 yr old half sister. My sister and I don't get on - she has ADHD/OCD which makes our relationship extremely trying, and my brothers are grown up and have families of their own (they're both in their 30s). I've never lived with my brothers and I haven't seen them for over 6 years (out of choice) and I'm not really bothered - they're strangers to me.
  • Options
    Me and my brother didnt get on that well until he moved out to go to uni. We used to have quite a few fights when where younger, hes still got scars from some of them. We get only really well now but we only see each other about once a month.
  • Options
    It's very rare I get on with my brother.
  • Options
    I don't get on with mine...
  • Options
    One of my brothers is 8, and I get on with him fine. The other drives me insane, I can't even talk to him now. He has no respect for my parents, takes the piss all the time, and I'm beyond giving a shit about him unfortunately.
  • Options
    I find that almost every single person i have ever spoken to who has a brother / sister doesn't get on with them. Whereas myself and my younger sister & brother all get on very well. I have another sister and two brothers who. not that i see anymore but we do get on. Though with the latter that's because they're " all grown up ".
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    I've got an older sister and I would say that we do get on, now, but our relationship has been extremely strained in the past, and I frequently feel it wouldn't take much for it to go back to being bad again. I love her very much, but I think it's fair to say I have a lot of unresolved issues with her, if you'll excuse the psychobabble.

You know that poem, "they fuck you up, your mum and dad"? Well in my case, it's not my mum and dad who fucked me up, but my sister. Any emotional crap I've got going on can largely be attributed to my relationship with her in our earlier years.
    :eek: OMFG!! I've just found my alter-ego. Either that or I posted this in my sleep.
  • Options
    i have a younger sister that is the complete opposite of me. we get along sometimes but most of the time we fight and hate each other. my older brother is cool....we get a long very well. i usually go out drinking with him and his buddies.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    I've got an older brother, and we don't really get on.

When we were younger, we used to fight like animals - he couldn't walk past me without getting a punch in, once had me up to the wall with a kitchen knife at my throat, and in retaliation I hit him over the head with a stool.

As we got older, we stopped physically fighting, and it turned verbal and snidey. Then we just didn't talk at all for years. We went to the same family functions, but we'd just totally blank each other.

....we have had a couple of very strained, but quite civilised conversations. But it's really hard. We're like strangers.

Everyone used to say that as we grew up, we would stop fighting and get along really well. But now I'm 25 and he's 27, and still no sign.

That sounds, spookily, exactly like me and my older brother. Except it was me chasing him with a kitchen knife, and I hit him over the head with a very large book. His specialities were taking potshots at me out of his bedroom window with an air rifle, throwing things at me (like bouncing a tennis ball off my head repeatedly - I still hate Wimbledon) and endless verbal abuse.

We last saw each other at my Nan's funeral almost 7 years ago, and we haven't spoken since. I'm 35 and he's 37 so I don't think we're ever going to be close now, somehow.
  • Options
    I totally get on with my brother. Always have done. He's a few years older. We lived on opposites end of the country almost (well Manchester-Exeter) and I still speak to him a couple times a week and see him probably every couple months at least. It's weird we've just always got on. We used to fight a bit when we were younger but never a lot. We haven't even had an arguement for probably about 5 years.
  • Options
    i have 3 sisters and 2 step-brothers.

my 12 year old twin sisters grace + alice i CAN get along with fine, although lately they have become a bit hormonal and take every single thing I say as an excuse to start an argument. plus theyve only just recently started being interested in boys so are hardly ever round the house and i dont really get to see them!! which in some ways is probably a good thing..
    grace is very much like me in that she can be very timid and quiet and we get on fine, but if someone or something annoys her she can become a right bitch!! (which lately, is ALL the time!!)
    alice however is the complete opposite and sparks off all the time! its like she has a split personality or something, because one minute we are having a laugh, and the next minute she can be screaming at me to go away or hitting me with whatever random missiles she can get her hands on!!
    overall though, i guess we get on relatively ok!!

my sister sophie is 17 and.. weell we dont reeally get on very well. i guess the main reason for this is because she does not live with me and my twin sisters. when she hit 15 she had a fight with my mum (which is now resolved) but chose to go live with my dad instead (we all go over every weekend to see him anyway so we get to see her too).
    ever since then, she has had a lot more freedom (my dad is ALWAYS at work) and she has basically been getting up to some pretty bad stuff. hanging out with the wrong crowd, doing drugs, sleeping round, and i also recently found out that shes being making herself sick to get slim.
    because of this i just dont have the time of day for her!!! i know i should be helpful and help stop the behavior, but to be honest, i just dont want to! we speak when we have to (which generally results in an argument anyway!) and for the time being, im fine with that!!

as for my step-brothers - well, i get to see them saay.. every 4 months or so!! one of them i dont think i have spoken more than 10 words to ever since their dad and my mum got together!! so id say its pretty explanatory to say that we dont have a close relationship!
  • Options
    I get on fantastically with both of my brothers, though we have our moments. They're 34 and 28, though, so I suppose that kind of age difference doesn't really lend itself to too much scrapping.

I think most of the people I know are very close to their siblings; on an average night out at least five people will have brought at least one brother or sister along. Feel the love :heart:
  • Options
    i'm usually ok with my brother - who has aspergers syndrome which is a form of autism. So i did alot of sticking up for him at primary school which resulted in me being blamed for being the bully after a teacher told a load of lies to my parents.
    We have our moments but generally we're ok.

and my mobile number ends in 666 :p
  • Options
    \