Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What Do You Think The Motorway Speed Limit SHOULD be?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I just heard it somewhere.

Do you know where?
  • Options
    I would say 80mph would be best on a three-lane motorway with plenty of room to overtake lorries (which can only manage about 60) and other slow vehicles. The 70mph limit should remain for dual carriageways and 60mph for normal roads. However, with this i would reccomend more training for learners on dealing with motorway driving (even if they can only practice on a dual carriageway).
  • Options
    mmm arbitrariness

privatise roads and let thier owners set speed limits.
  • Options
    I would say 80mph would be best on a three-lane motorway with plenty of room to overtake lorries (which can only manage about 60) and other slow vehicles. The 70mph limit should remain for dual carriageways and 60mph for normal roads. However, with this i would reccomend more training for learners on dealing with motorway driving (even if they can only practice on a dual carriageway).

Define 'nromal' roads
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Do you know where?
    Can't remember. I think it was just a throwaway line on a car show or something. Something to do with the traffic running much more smoothly if everyone drives at slower speeds, rather than everyone speeding to areas with bottlenecks then getting stuck. Could be bollocks of course.
  • Options
    If the speed limit were to be increased then I anticipate more aggressive driving directed towards those of us who drive slower vehicles. My car is 23 years old and it would be stupid of me to drive at 70+ most of the time because my brakes aren't as good as they are on new cars and my engine would probably explode. If the speed limit was increased people would need to learn to keep it to the middle and outside lanes and not to drive up people's arses in the lorry lane and pull out on them etc. because some people can't, or choose not to, drive at (or above) the speed limit.

There is absoloutely no way I could get my car to any speed above 80 and I wouldn't feel comfortable doing more than about 65 in it.

I take the point about new cars being able to handle higher speeds and have shorter braking distances, but a large number of cars on the road are far from new - many, like mine, are 20+ years old.

I do like the idea of variable speed limits depending on the road and the conditions though - perhaps it would be a good idea to keep the inside lane and slip roads at 70 to allow people more thinking time and more time to find a space in the traffic, and then have different speeds for the other lanes?
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    FireFly85 wrote:
    My car is 23 years old and it would be stupid of me to drive at 70+ most of the time because my brakes aren't as good as they are on new cars and my engine would probably explode.

What you drive? *car nut*
  • Options
    A Mini City :chin: it is a heap of junk, vibrates like hell when I go over 40 and is makes deafening noises doing anything over 60, and breaks down about every two months, but I love it anyway.
  • Options
    Warp 6
  • Options
    Variable speed limits are clearly the best idea. Theres no universal speed limit for a type of road. Its dependant on so many thing; weather, traffic conditions, roadworks, etc.

However, i do think that if it was increased there would be yet more agro with the faster drivers, because they seem to think that people have to drive the speed limit or more. Of course its dangerous to go too slow, but its also dangerous for certain vehicles to drive as fast as the maximum speed limit.

There'll never be a system that pleases everyone.
  • Options
    variable speed limits, but with a standard speed limit for when there is no signs or they are out of vision range etc which are the lowest of the variable speeds for safety not legal reasons
  • Options
    I don't think I trust other drivers to pay attention to a variable speed limit. And unless we agree to upgrade the engines of the vast majority of small cars in this country, a faster speed limit would simply make the overtaking lane a no-go area for those incapable of reaching the speed limit before being rammed up the arse by an impatient BMW driver [aka wanker] approaching from behind.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    I don't think I trust other drivers to pay attention to a variable speed limit. And unless we agree to upgrade the engines of the vast majority of small cars in this country, a faster speed limit would simply make the overtaking lane a no-go area for those incapable of reaching the speed limit before being rammed up the arse by an impatient BMW driver [aka wanker] approaching from behind.

enforce the rule of the inside lane only being for overtaking....
  • Options
    enforce the rule of the outside lane only being for overtaking....
    That is already the rule. How would you enforce it?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    That is already the rule. How would you enforce it?

they developed cameras to stop illegal lane changes etc

they can always invent a camera for it not like theres no incentive:lol:
  • Options
    they developed cameras to stop illegal lane changes etc

they can always invent a camera for it not like theres no incentive:lol:
    But that kind of offence can only be judged over a long distance because you could argue to the camera evidence that you were intending to overtake something ahead but out of shot. It's hard enough to get back into the overtaking lane after pulling in now, but with a faster limit in the outside lane it would be impossible.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Define 'nromal' roads
    A and B roads. Anything that isn't a motorway, dual carriageway, built-up area or dirt track.
  • Options
    I've been thinking about this for a couple of days now and I decided that the current speed limit is fine...
    Why?
    1) The condition of the UK roads
    2) The level of competence of UK drivers
    3) The lane discipline of UK drivers
    4) The lorries
  • Options
    FireFly85 wrote:
    A Mini City :chin: it is a heap of junk, vibrates like hell when I go over 40 and is makes deafening noises doing anything over 60, and breaks down about every two months, but I love it anyway.

Probably needs fixing to be fair ;p They should be able to go a little faster than that.

Ah well... needs must and all that. I dread to think what my first car will be like, lol.