Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

afghanistan?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
why are british troops there ...what do we hope to achive and why?

Comments

• Options
    The weather is nice and they have good hash...

Frankly I don't know, maybe they have something plan we are not aware about, most likely to be it...
  • Options
    why are british troops there ...what do we hope to achive and why?
    Who knows the answer? Certainly not the Government. They're just as clueless as we are about both why we're in there, and the history of Afghanistan. The reason we were there at first was fairly apparent - to overthrow the repressive Taliban regime and find Osama Bin Laden. One has been completed to an extent, the other has been a massive failure. Also, as I understand it, no invading army or military force has ever managed to conquer Afghanistan. Why should things change now?
  • Options
    British troops again! We are over scretched as it is.
  • Options
    Whatever we are trying to achieve there, I'm sure that we would've done it a lot quicker if they hadn't overstretched the military by going into Iraq as well.
  • Options
    Why are UK troops there? Simple. Because the US wanted it so.

And of course the Poodle is only to happy to oblige.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    And of course the Poodle is only to happy to oblige.
    Instead of constantly kissing, licking and caressing Bush's arse, (not a pleasant image, I know) The Poodle (known affectionately as Tony Blair, known far less affectionately by everyone but himself) ought to bite the said arse very firmly.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    - to overthrow the repressive Taliban regime and find Osama Bin Laden. One has been completed to an extent, the other has been a massive failure. Also, as I understand it, no invading army or military force has ever managed to conquer Afghanistan. Why should things change now?
    the taliban are stronger than ever though.
    we have only conquered the capital city.
    your right ...no one has ever conquered afghanistan.
    the situation for women is far worse now in some areas than before we invaded the place.
    i keep hearing that we are helping to erradicate the opium crop ...laughable.
    under the taliban opium was almost non existent ...to the point where heroin was going back up in price.
    now we are there ...the biggest opium crop in history.
    to me it seems a complete waste of time and money and lives.
    we will leave and ...what happens then?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Why are UK troops there? Simple. Because the US wanted it so.

Exactly. :yes:
  • Options
    the taliban are stronger than ever though.
    we have only conquered the capital city.
    your right ...no one has ever conquered afghanistan.
    the situation for women is far worse now in some areas than before we invaded the place.
    i keep hearing that we are helping to erradicate the opium crop ...laughable.
    under the taliban opium was almost non existent ...to the point where heroin was going back up in price.
    now we are there ...the biggest opium crop in history.
    to me it seems a complete waste of time and money and lives.
    we will leave and ...what happens then?
    Blair & Bush will do exactly the same as they always do when in trouble - lie their way out of it by proclaiming victory, which is then reported in lazy, compliant sectors of our media. Meantime, Afghanistan goes back under the control of an even more determined Taliban than ever. Democracy? Only matters to the Blair/Bush alliance when it's convenient to them.
  • Options
    http://www.nato.int/issues/afghanistan/index.html

http://www.nato.int/issues/afghanistan/040628-factsheet.htm

I haven't got the latest figures, but given that it includes participating countries include places such as Germany and the Netherlands who were fundamenetally against Iraq it does suggest that its not Blair arselicking.

There's a threat to the West, whether you like it or not, from Muslim fundamentalism and if we're going to fight it I'd rather we fought it on foreign shores than wait until it comes to the streets of London, Bristol or Glasgow.
  • Options
    I might as well put this here. It's just been announced that 900 more troops are going into Afghanistan... click here for details...
  • Options
    NQA wrote:

I haven't got the latest figures, but given that it includes participating countries include places such as Germany and the Netherlands who were fundamenetally against Iraq it does suggest that its not Blair arselicking.
    What has their stance on Iraq got to do with them being involved in Afghanistan?
  • Options
    NQA wrote:

There's a threat to the West, whether you like it or not, from Muslim fundamentalism .
    how can anyone threaten us from a dirt poor dust bowl with sod all facilities?
    and ...i would have thought we were more of a threat to them than they to us ...looking at the facts like.
  • Options
    migpilot wrote:
    Exactly. :yes:
    No, they are actually needed to do a job.

My copncern is that UK troops are being over used while the French can sit on their arses while the British are helping yet again. Everyone must take their share.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:

My copncern is that UK troops are being over used while the French can sit on their arses while the British are helping yet again. Everyone must take their share.
    Of what? Of disastrous and illegal US wars? Why, exactly?

Should we send troops to Chechnya too? And if not, why?
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    No, they are actually needed to do a job. My copncern is that UK troops are being over used while the French can sit on their arses...
    Here we go again... if it's not immigrants swamping the country, it's the French that you aim your fire towards. Just what do you have against the French? Yes, we know they run the EU by themselves and ignore all the rules, but this is Afghanistan we're talking about. :p
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Of what? Of disastrous and illegal US wars? Why, exactly?

Should we send troops to Chechnya too? And if not, why?
    The job is to get rid of the taliban.

the british army should not be deployed there no... we have enough troops out. As for other nations, then yes,
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Here we go again... if it's not immigrants swamping the country, it's the French that you aim your fire towards. Just what do you have against the French? Yes, we know they run the EU by themselves and ignore all the rules, but this is Afghanistan we're talking about. :p
    The Germans then... or the Spnaihs... Greeks? turkish? anyone in NATO.
  • Options
    If the British troops are there to keep potential future terrorists trapped with in the Afghan boarders, wouldnt it be more practicle to simply pull out every British soldier and build a huge wall around Afghanistan trapping everyone inside it that way. Or maybe Napalming every milimetre of the the country ensuring nothing that can live survives....Or a sensible solution that is not full of sarcasm like pulling out and telling the Americans to deal with it like they should and let us deal with Iraq. At least then peace keeping would mean peace keeping and NOT, mass slaughters of children and familes by cowboys. Plus some schools and hospitals might actually be protected and re-built and that oil that is not getting pumped might get pumped.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    The job is to get rid of the taliban
    What 'job' is this? Who has determined it is a 'job' to be done? Under which authority? Who designated the UK to be in charge of this 'job'?
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    The Germans then... or the Spnaihs... Greeks? turkish? anyone in NATO.
    Have you ever considered that other countries might have reasons for not wanting to go in, other than self-interest? Have you ever thought "hmm, maybe the Germans aren't convinced that we need to go into Afghanistan"? What about the doubts France expressed before the Iraq war, whom turned out to be completely right to oppose that dreadful war?
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:

this thread is asking what job ...why?
    how long will it take to do the job ...a hundred years?
    afghanistan has always been a criminal and lawless place ...always.
    everyone who has ever set themselves up in kabul as ruler ...is eventualy taken out ...the same would happen to the taliban.
    it is a huge country with near eighty different languages spoken.
    very diverse peoples.
    if our aim was to take out the taliban ...looks like we did exactly the opposite!
    come on luke ...tell me the reason we are there is to set up a democracy ...come on tell me that and mean it.
  • Options
    What has their stance on Iraq got to do with them being involved in Afghanistan?

Because if you say its arselicking how do you explain places like Germany who didn't go into Iraq and indeed were extremely critical.
  • Options
    how can anyone threaten us from a dirt poor dust bowl with sod all facilities?
    and ...i would have thought we were more of a threat to them than they to us ...looking at the facts like.

It used to be a safe haven for Al-Q - not anymore. That's disrupted Al-Qs ability to wage war.

And to be honest us been more threatening to Islamic fundamentalists than the other way round is the way I like it. I'd rather we kept kicking them, than allow them to get up and kick us.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    It used to be a safe haven for Al-Q - not anymore. That's disrupted Al-Qs ability to wage war.

And to be honest us been more threatening to Islamic fundamentalists than the other way round is the way I like it. I'd rather we kept kicking them, than allow them to get up and kick us.
    bad logic NQ ...afghanistan is far to big for us to police so we haven't prevented anyone from doing whatever they wish to do out there.
    it has always been a lawless place.
    people often remark on pakistan not doing much about policing its borders with afghanistan but the simple truth is ...it isn't possible and never has been ...never will be.
    not just the terrain ...more the fact that 90% of afghanistan has never had law and order and the border has never been governed by anyone on either side of it. hundreds of thousands of people have always been outside any government decision making.
    trying to put some kind of democratic government in iraq is difficult enough but at least they have a something to build on.
    in afghanistan there isn't even the basic structures of power to build on.
    you cannot build a new society at gunpoint scratched from the dirt.

has it never crossed your mind that if we stop kicking these people ...stop treating them like junkyard dogs ...they might not have reason to hate us.
    but ...after hundreds of years of abuse from us ....you think we should carry on kicking them?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    What 'job' is this? Who has determined it is a 'job' to be done? Under which authority? Who designated the UK to be in charge of this 'job'?

That would be the Government of the United Kingdom and Great Britain governed by Parliament.

Or if you prefer International Law,
    ISAF is not a UN force, but is a coalition of the willing deployed under the authority of the UN Security Council (four UNSC Resolutions - 1386, 1413, 1444 and 1510 - relate to ISAF). .

deployed under the Authority of the UN.

http://www.nato.int/issues/afghanistan/evolution.htm

PS the UK isn't in charge*. ISAF has been commanded by NATO only since 2003 and is actually a major step forward in peacekeeping operations, being based around a permanent military organisation rather than the hodge-podge it is on many UN missions.

The reason the British are in one of the most dangerous provinces is simply the old adage you send you're A-team to deal with the problems and leave your B&C teams in safer areas to look good on camera for the folks back home.

*Actually currently it is commanded by a Brit - but that's because the post is on a rotating basis. he is appointed by NATO rather than the British armed forces
  • Options
    bad logic NQ ...afghanistan is far to big for us to police so we haven't prevented anyone from doing whatever they wish to do out there.
    it has always been a lawless place.
    people often remark on pakistan not doing much about policing its borders with afghanistan but the simple truth is ...it isn't possible and never has been ...never will be.
    not just the terrain ...more the fact that 90% of afghanistan has never had law and order and the border has never been governed by anyone on either side of it. hundreds of thousands of people have always been outside any government decision making.
    trying to put some kind of democratic government in iraq is difficult enough but at least they have a something to build on.
    in afghanistan there isn't even the basic structures of power to build on.
    you cannot build a new society at gunpoint scratched from the dirt.

has it never crossed your mind that if we stop kicking these people ...stop treating them like junkyard dogs ...they might not have reason to hate us.
    but ...after hundreds of years of abuse from us ....you think we should carry on kicking them?

:lol: perhaps you need to look what's going on - the new schools and hospitals being built, people in many areas getting law and order. Yep, there a reactionary element who don't want that who'd much rather the people were left poor and beknighted and following their twisted version of the Prophets teachings. But we shouldn't give into to them, but take the fight to them before they take it to us.

To be honest I've never had much sympathy for the argument that some people (normally foreign and a different skin colour) aren't ready for democracy or human rights and should be left to sweat under the power of reactionary bigots.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    :lol: perhaps you need to look what's going on - the new schools and hospitals being built, people in many areas getting law and order. Yep, there a reactionary element who don't want that who'd much rather the people were left poor and beknighted and following their twisted version of the Prophets teachings. But we shouldn't give into to them, but take the fight to them before they take it to us.

To be honest I've never had much sympathy for the argument that some people (normally foreign and a different skin colour) aren't ready for democracy or human rights and should be left to sweat under the power of reactionary bigots.
    whats going on is only going on in kabul and on a very small scale.
    as for the foriegn skin colour not being ready for democracy ...not something i said.
    if they wanted it they would build it ...you realy cannot go around destroying cultures with bombs to impose your own ...thats what terrorists do.
    look at the history of the place ...
    if you realy believe we are going to do some good out there in the long run ...how long will we have to be fighting and killing and dieying ...a hundred years ...two hundred years?
    there is nothing ...nothing at all to build a legal political judicial system on.
    it is very different from iraq.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Afghanistan - The army needs downsizing - send them int o a pointless battle.

I have no idea tbh.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    I have no idea tbh.
    i don't think many people do have any idea.
    there is nothing to gain ...nothing to win ...no way of winning.
    we could stay there for two hundred years and still we'd fail.
    fail at what?
    i don't know that either!
    to make any kind of change would take a million men living there an awful long time.
    so ...if we pull out today or in twenty years ...we will have achieved nothing.