Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What Do You Think The Motorway Speed Limit SHOULD be?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I think on a perfect day (i.e. no rain, fog, etc) on a dry road the motorway speed limit should be 90 MPH and even then for sections that are deemed suitable for those kind of speeds (like with chevrons drawn on the road to help encourage cars to keep their distance)

- I find my car seems to naturally want to drive at 80 MPH on the motorway .. the other week I was on the M4 and there was load of 50 MPH zones and it was really tiring trying to constantly keep to that limit, always looking up and down from the road to the speedo as well as looking out for all the speed cameras, etc.

It felt more dangerous to drive at 50 MPH then the normal 70 MPH.

It got me thinking that if people could drive faster they'd spend less time on the road so less likely to have a crash due to being tired.

Comments

• Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I would say 80mph myself.

90 is a bit fast (Boy racers wouild probably kill themselves pushing their economy hatchbacks this fast - would it be a bad thing actually?) and 200 way to fast for the UK.

People think "If Germany can do the autobahn so fast, why can't we?" You must remember the rule is on the few miles of destricted road - only go as fast as you are in control - and the Germans stick to this. There are very few idiots out there compared. Also the policing is better - PLENTY of patrols, not shit cameras. If someone looks dangerously fast and not fully in control, they get pulled.
  • Options
    Would depend on the motorway I guess; you can't just say 'right, let's have 70 for every motorway' because not all motorways are the same.
  • Options
    The actual limits were based on the performance and braking distance of some shit Morris car 30 years ago (cant remember which model). Modern cars are inifinitely safer and have far shorter braking distances. The 70mph limit is a sad joke.

In effect most police forces are turning a blind eye to motorists doing up to 77-78mph because they recognise the fallacy of the actual limits.

The limits should not be fixed but based on conditions: weather, visibility, congestion. I'd have electronic signs like those on the M25 and adjust the limit according to conditions. When everything is favourable I would have no problem putting it at 90mph in some stretches of the road, and 80mph on the rest.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    The actual limits were based on the performance and braking distance of some shit Morris car 30 years ago (cant remember which model). Modern cars are inifinitely safer and have far shorter braking distances. The 70mph limit is a sad joke.
    True. On TV they got one of those McLaren-Mercedes, and drove it at 120mph, then tested the stopping distance. It stopped in half the supposed 60mph stopping distance. Admittedly this is a £300k car with the best brakes around, but it doesn't stop the fact that stopping distances for modern cars are far shorter.

I was with my cousin in his BMW 5-series driving down the motorway, and it's so easy to go 20mph over the speed limit. It's different when you're driving a 1.0 litre car where you have to really push it just to get to the limit, but bigger cars just do it without you even realising. It would've been more dangerous for him to be constantly checking his speed.

I'd be in favour of variable speed limits, with electronic signs altering depending on how busy the motorway is, and the conditions, anywhere between 50 and 100 mph.
  • Options
    I'd be in favour of variable speed limits, with electronic signs altering depending on how busy the motorway is, and the conditions, anywhere between 50 and 100 mph.

I quite like this idea.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Variable limits is definately the way forward. Upto probably 100.
  • Options
    Variable speed limits would be a good idea, if people actually stuck to them.

As it stands with the speed limit being 70, many people go 80 or 90, and no one really thinks anything of it. So if the limit were changed to 90 people would go 100 or 110.

I think variable limits may encourage people to stick closer to the limit, it's certainly a much better solution than simply upping the limit.
  • Options
    As fast as you like until bits of the car start falling off :thumb:

Seriously if Aladdin is right about it being based on crap cars 30 year ago someone needs to do some testing and come up with a new figure (bearing in mind whilst cars may have got better human reactions haven't)
  • Options
    i think allad9in is wrong and the limit was set when we had a fuel crises in the seventies.
    variable is the way to go.
    the fifty bits are usualy in a place where there are busy slip roads that little old ladies use to come on to the dual carriageway and off again at the next exit.
  • Options
    I don't know why the limit was set (I was under the impression it was to curb accidents on the new M1 motorway) but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere the 70mph limit was agreed on based on the performance of an 'average' car at the time, namely a Morris.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    As it stands with the speed limit being 70, many people go 80 or 90, and no one really thinks anything of it. So if the limit were changed to 90 people would go 100 or 110.

It doesn't work like that.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    According to Wikipedia:

"The first British motorways did not have speed limits. However, after a series of multiple crashes on motorways mainly in fog, an experimental speed limit of 70 miles per hour (112 km/h) was introduced in December 1965[3], and made permanent in 1967. It was reduced to 50 mph (80 km/h) in response to the 1973 oil crisis and restored to 70 mph (112 km/h) in 1974. The Association of British Drivers has called for the limit to be increased. The opposition Conservative Party is proposing to raise the limit to 80 mph (130 km/h) where appropriate."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_limit#Europe
  • Options
    You guys really think a novice driver who never learned to drive on a motorway should be allowed on it and at 90mph?

A car handles differently at 50 than it does at 70 or 90mph....
    I wouldn't trust everyone on the road to be able to handle a car at a 100mph for instance...

Look into the future - the hybrid cars - they won't be doing a 100mph that easily.
    And people spend more time in their cars because of congestion not because of the speed limit.

I used to drive a 100mph every day until I realized that 1) I was putting pressure on the engine for no reason 2) my journey was shortened by 10 minutes at most and 3)my fuel consumption increased 30%.

Variable speed limits are a good idea, but how do you enforce them?
  • Options
    migpilot wrote:
    You guys really think a novice driver who never learned to drive on a motorway should be allowed on it and at 90mph?
    No. That's why new drivers have to carry L plates for a year and drive at reduced speeds :p ]
  • Options
    There should only be an enforced speed limits on motorways when the weather conditions warrant it or in congestion.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    According to Wikipedia:

"The first British motorways did not have speed limits. However, after a series of multiple crashes on motorways mainly in fog, an experimental speed limit of 70 miles per hour (112 km/h) was introduced in December 1965[3], and made permanent in 1967. It was reduced to 50 mph (80 km/h) in response to the 1973 oil crisis and restored to 70 mph (112 km/h) in 1974. The Association of British Drivers has called for the limit to be increased. The opposition Conservative Party is proposing to raise the limit to 80 mph (130 km/h) where appropriate."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_limit#Europe
    ahhh!
    i knew the oil crises of the seventies came into it somewhere but i got it the wrong way round.
    cheers ...:thumb:
  • Options
    The best way to improve the motorway system is to ban for life people who decide to toddle in the third lane at 70mph and don't allow anyone to overtake them
  • Options
    Middle lane huggers should be strung up from lampposts as well :mad:
  • Options
    migpilot wrote:
    Well that's a different issue entirely. I don't trust anyone who's just learned to drive on the motorway currently, but that doesn't stop them from being allowed on.

I think the only problem with variable speed limits is that people will always claim they thought the speed limit was something else. But then I guess a few points on the license will make people pay more attention, which can only be a good thing.

Like you said, you chose to drive slower, because it was ruining your car and costing you money. I don't think that everyone would drive 90-100mph because that was the speed limit. It would be limited to people who have cars that can get to that speed without breaking sweat.
  • Options
  • Options
    Well that's a different issue entirely. I don't trust anyone who's just learned to drive on the motorway currently, but that doesn't stop them from being allowed on.

I think the only problem with variable speed limits is that people will always claim they thought the speed limit was something else. But then I guess a few points on the license will make people pay more attention, which can only be a good thing.

Like you said, you chose to drive slower, because it was ruining your car and costing you money. I don't think that everyone would drive 90-100mph because that was the speed limit. It would be limited to people who have cars that can get to that speed without breaking sweat.

If I had an M3 I still wouldn't go over 75-80... daily, there is no point...

What's the point of having a limit of 90 if people are still driving at 70 and slowing the traffic down?
    And what about trucks and shit? You are driving 90mph and suddenly you come up behind a truck doing 60 in the fast lane and overtaking another truck...
    Pain in the backside...
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    migpilot wrote:

There is. You get places quicker.

I used to over a 1000 miles a week in my job, and most of them were on motorways. It makes one hell of a difference.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    migpilot wrote:
    Even at 5 o'clock in the morning with a clear motorway? I've been in cars in that situation, and it's stupid having to stick to 70 when there's not another car within miles of you.
  • Options
    Even at 5 o'clock in the morning with a clear motorway? I've been in cars in that situation, and it's stupid having to stick to 70 when there's not another car within miles of you.

I've done 60,000 miles last year alone, on motorways, I know what I am talking about...

It would be nice to have the motorway to myself unfortunately from about 6 onwards that's not possible and I used to leave at 7. And I actually timed it, whether I went 90 or 70, it made no difference...
    Of course I wouldn't stick to 70 in an M3 on an empty motorway at 5am, I would be going at least 130!!
    (I didn't say that) :chin:
  • Options
    Motorways are only one aspect of road use in general. I'd like to see a heap of training allocated to teaching proper motorway usage. I'd like the limit to be raised to 100mph where safe to do so, but at the same time implement variable speed limits when the conditions warrant it.

Anyone caught doing over 110mph would lose their licence for a year. No excuses... but obviously, if someones parents were dying and they were doing 125mph on an empty motorway in the middle of the night, then a blind eye could be turned. Each case on it's own merits, but with the basic premise of 110mph and over = no licence.

I'd also like to see a lot of random roadside stops to verify the basic maintenance of a vehicle, but not on a motorway ;).

The motorway speed limit should be increased, and by quite a margin, but other things have to be done at the same time. The standard of UK drivers in general isn't good enough to warrant another 30mph on top of the current limit.
  • Options
    Variable speed limits would be a good idea, if people actually stuck to them.

I think variable limits may encourage people to stick closer to the limit, it's certainly a much better solution than simply upping the limit.

I agree with variable speed limits

Near where I live you can get the A40 right into central London.

It's 3 lanes just like a motorway and you could happily do 70 MPH on most sections but to speed up traffic Monday to Friday in the rush hour all the signs say just 40 MPH for most of it.. but at night and on the weekend there's no physical reason the speed limit shouldn't be faster.

They could replace the the metal signs with electronic ones that tell you what the speed limit is depending onthe time of day, traffic flow, road conditions, etc to get the best balance between safety due to excessive speed for the conditions and safety caused by tiredness due to the journey taking longer then it might otherwise if you could drive faster.
  • Options
    migpilot wrote:
    It would be nice to have the motorway to myself unfortunately from about 6 onwards that's not possible and I used to leave at 7.
    Well at that time the limit would be lower.
    migpilot wrote:
    Of course I wouldn't stick to 70 in an M3 on an empty motorway at 5am, I would be going at least 130!!
    (I didn't say that) :chin:
    And at that time, it would be the highest. See, I reckon it'd work well.

Apparently there would be hardly any traffic jams on the M25 if the limit was set to 40 incidentally.
  • Options

Apparently there would be hardly any traffic jams on the M25 if the limit was set to 40 incidentally.

How'd you figure that one out?
  • Options
    Much of the time the limit is entirely academic anyway, because traffic constraints mean that even reaching 60 MPH can be impossible.

For those times where the m-ways are actually empty enough for people to reach higher speeds, then, yes, it should probably be variable, but that wouldn't stop many of the people speeding that speed today with a fixed limit.

The problem with increasing the limits though are

1) Some of the smaller cars can't reach the higher speeds, and yet those drivers will still hog middle and outside lanes.

2) Inexperienced or shit drivers can't handle cars properly at higher speeds and / or are incapable of planning sufficiently far ahead. Yes braking improvements have been made to cars, but not to their drivers' reactions.

3) The difference in speed between the slower and faster drivers on the road in general increases, meaning that any accidents that do happen would be worse.

So who knows. I'd be interested in trials of various types of limit though, to see which, if any, is effective.
  • Options
    migpilot wrote:
    How'd you figure that one out?
    I just heard it somewhere.