Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

ask a mod?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
As some of you will have seen on the redesign plans, there is a section called 'Meet the Mod' in the Social -

So do you have an questions you'd like to ask a moderator (any generic rather than specific questions for individuals) - otherwise we'll just make it up, and that's bound to be less interesting.

Comments

• Options
    Do you get paid or is it voluntary (sp?)
    What do you actually do? :p
    Do you work from home or an office?
  • Options
    - Why is there mods that nearly never post apart from their introduction post?

Will think of more...
  • Options
    Is it true that mods drink beer all day long? :p
  • Options
    Hi, being a mod must be interesting and tedious at times. Thesite has a community of forum regulars and oldies with their own personalties, beliefs and convictions. How do you find the moderating task, whilst taking individuality, your own personal beliefs, and Thesite.org's editorial line into account? Have there been times when you've perhaps directed a discussion against your personal beliefs in order to 'tow the editorial line', or times where something you couldn't fairly edit out has made you feel angry?
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    Hi, being a mod must be interesting and tedious at times. Thesite has a community of forum regulars and oldies with their own personalties, beliefs and convictions. How do you find the moderating task, whilst taking individuality, your own personal beliefs, and Thesite.org's editorial line into account? Have there been times when you've perhaps directed a discussion against your personal beliefs in order to 'tow the editorial line', or times where something you couldn't fairly edit out has made you feel angry?

Show off :p
  • Options
    ^^^ oi, I want to know!
    ETA: I moderated a forum for a while and used to get so mad at some people but had to pretend to be allequal and fair. Like when there are trolls on here, we used to get munchausen-by-proxy type stuff and it would upset people because they felt abused for having given support and trust for something and to someone imaginary. You couldn't give 'em a load of abuse though, just quietly ban them and sympathise with those who were hurt.

If you weren't a mod, would you be a member of the forum?
  • Options
    Have you ever created an anonymous account a posted a genuine request for advice?
  • Options
    Is Helen really cute? ;)
  • Options
    Is Helen really cute? ;)

:yes: Yeah she is go check her picture...
  • Options
    Pictures? Pictures? Where are they?!? :D

I really need to go and explore the rest of this site, rather than just hang out on the forums...
  • Options
  • Options
    They have pics on their profiles too.
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:

I had absolutely no idea there were so many of them! I'll have a proper mooch around tonight :).
  • Options
    To be fair - that's the staff list, not the mod list - but now you've admired us all, any more questions?
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    To be fair - that's the staff list, not the mod list

Yeah i couldn't find that.
  • Options
    - Do mods come on the boards only in working time or on their spare time too?
    - Do mods only moderate or also participate in discussions?
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    To be fair - that's the staff list, not the mod list - but now you've admired us all, any more questions?

Aye, I figured that bit out :).

I'd be curious to know of anything that has stuck in a mods mind - moments where they've seen someone blossom from being a part of this site, or where they've witnessed the opposite take place.

Dunno, I'm not really very good at thinking of things to ask. :)
  • Options
    katralla wrote:

brill question :thumb:
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:
    Dom's such a poser, isn't he? :p

Meantime... which user on the boards gives the mods the biggest headaches? And don't you sometimes think "oh, for fuck's sake, not more fighting..."?
  • Options
    Who irritates you the most complaining about other peoples posts?:p
  • Options
    I think you can expect is to answer positive questions about users, but it wouldn't be fair for us to answer questions that might single out users in a negative light
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    I think you can expect is to answer positive questions about users, but it wouldn't be fair for us to answer questions that might single out users in a negative light.
    That's a bit rich coming from the man who once branded my views in P&D "extreme". :p
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    any more questions?
    you haven't answered any of the others yet ...:chin:
  • Options
    We'll be answering them in the article Rolly, not in the thread - and SG it was more a reference to extreme language (disgusting, worst thing ever, disgraceful) used to express views than the content (though I didn't put it very well)- but shall we ague about that another day? :p
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    We'll be answering them in the article Rolly, not in the thread - and SG it was more a reference to extreme language (disgusting, worst thing ever, disgraceful) used to express views than the content (though I didn't put it very well)- but shall we argue about that another day? :p
    You're on. :p
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    What do you wear in bed?! ;)
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    he already say he'll answer in the article so get on over there and find out
    Ewwww. Jim ain't my type.

Helen on the other hand!!
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    Jim - How did you lose your hair? ;x
  • Options
    Dr Pirate wrote:
    Jim - How did you lose your hair? ;x

:lol: If you weren't a mod for this place, what would you be doing now?
  • Options
    Is Helen really cute? ;)
    yes