Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

In defence of the hoodie - by Dave Cameron

I don't know where this thread should be on the boards. We can either include it in Politics & Debate, Style & Appearance or the newly-titled Shit That Passes For Tory Policy These Days section. David "call me Tony, er, sorry, I mean, Dave" Cameron has come out in defence of the 'hoodie'. Oh yes - see what he said.

So far, there has been no official response from People For The Ethical Treatment of Hooded Tops. It is, however, nice to know that in the BlairCameron world (for they both seem so similar on these issues) that things are going so incredibly well for Great Britain plc. We don't need to worry about falling standards in education, deficits in the NHS, the chaos in Iraq, the insufficient troop numbers in Afghanisatan or what happens in John Prescott's trousers.

If talking about the utterly pointless and counter-productive victimisation of a group of already disillusioned teenagers in this way is how they're going to get people to vote in the next election, God help us.

:rolleyes:
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Oh dear Cameron, what the hell are you playing at now?

I can see what you are saying but is this really the issue of the day...no of course it isn't.

We have crippling systems from immigration to schools... we need alternatuve policies not dumb crap like this. Woich sort of voters is he trying to attract here?

Get a grip and announce policies or at least your famous speeches on the issues that matter to us.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    Oh dear Cameron, what the hell are you playing at now?

I can see what you are saying but is this really the issue of the day...no of course it isn't.

We have crippling systems from immigration to schools... we need alternatuve policies not dumb crap like this. Woich sort of voters is he trying to attract here?

Get a grip and announce policies or at least your famous speeches on the issues that matter to us.

One post and youve mentioned immigration...ON A SUBJECT THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT:yeees:

Back on topic i think David Cameron is just playing at more of his being everything to everyone. I wouldnt be suprised if he told a bunch of pensioners he was going to 'crack down' on hoodies.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    One post and youve mentioned immigration...ON A SUBJECT THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT:yeees:

Back on topic i think David Cameron is just playing at more of his being everything to everyone. I wouldnt be suprised if he told a bunch of pensioners he was going to 'crack down' on hoodies.
    You never know. There might be swarms and swarms of hooded tops trying to get across the Channel and into the UK this very night... :p

I'd rather have a crackdown myself on little old pensioners who go to papers like the Daily Mail and whinge when they've been fined £50 for throwing breadcrumbs to bloody pigeons...
  • Options
    Or, the hoodies might be being strategically used to cover up the faces of illegal immigrants and thus tricking customs officers into thinking it's just a load of chavs coming back from Amsterdam.

Get Brass Eye on the case.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    stargalaxy wrote:
    You never know. There might be swarms and swarms of hooded tops trying to get across the Channel and into the UK this very night... :p

I'd rather have a crackdown myself on little old pensioners who go to papers like the Daily Mail and whinge when they've been fined £50 for throwing breadcrumbs to bloody pigeons...

:lol:

I would have a crackdown on the Daily Mail itself personally.

So we can expect Cameron to go into Parliament with a hoodie and beat up the ministers for their mobiles now, can we? ;)
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    As I feel this is a much better issue to talk about then hoodies... like I said in my post above, it's hardly the issue of the day is it? Where as immigration is a great concern towards the electroate.

Anyway...

What is Cameron trying to say? That those in hoodies are people we should feel sorry for? The only thing the majority in hoodies want is our watches, phones, money etc.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Well anything is possible in this country, especially with the pathetic immigration system.
  • Options
    Given there seems to be a fairly systematic demonisation of youth I think its a good thing.
  • Options
    Yep, seems a good idea to me. he's returning to the core conservative values of 'live and let live' which only can be a good thing and provides clear, blue water between Tories and Labour.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    What is Cameron trying to say? That those in hoodies are people we should feel sorry for? The only thing the majority in hoodies want is our watches, phones, money etc.

Is that so? Does wearing a hoody make you into a criminal? I know many many people who own hoodies and none are criminals. Band hoodies, university hoodies. I have a hoody an i dont want to commit any crimes. Get a grip. and stop going on about immigration for fucks sake. its like listening to the daily mail.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    Is that so? Does wearing a hoody make you into a criminal? I know many many people who own hoodies and none are criminals. Band hoodies, university hoodies. I have a hoody an i dont want to commit any crimes. Get a grip. and stop going on about immigration for fucks sake. its like listening to the daily mail.
    I've got hoodies. Im talking about those that hang around shopping centres, around shop cornors stuff like that. They Do commit crimes I've seen them nicking peoples things.

Immigration - an issue to me. OK?
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    I've got hoodies. Im talking about those that hang around shopping centres, around shop cornors stuff like that. They Do commit crimes I've seen them nicking peoples things.

So anyone wearing a hoodie in a shopping centre should be sent to jail then?

Or maybe its because kids have absolutely nothing to do other than hang around shopping centres.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    What?

If ANYONE, despite what they are wearing commits a crime should be dealt with by the courts and be punished.
    bongbudda wrote:

Or maybe its because kids have absolutely nothing to do other than hang around shopping centres.
    Vote Labour
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:

This is true. The kids hear have nothing to do and yet they are farmed out of the only indoor places they can meet up which doesnt cost any money to go there.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    This is true. The kids hear have nothing to do and yet they are farmed out of the only indoor places they can meet up which doesnt cost any money to go there.
    They acn do what they want as long as they don't commit crime,

Commiting crime because you are bored is a pathetic excuse and it NOT acceptable.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    Vote Labour

Huh? I fail to see what this has to do with it.

What's your idea for dealing with 'hoodie' youths?
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    They acn do what they want as long as they don't commit crime,

Commiting crime because you are bored is a pathetic excuse and it NOT acceptable.

Of course not. But not everyone who wears a hoody commits a crime. Look at the large legions of goth and emo kiddies...
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Huh? I fail to see what this has to do with it.

What's your idea for dealing with 'hoodie' youths?
    Nothing. Until they commit a crime. It is not a crime to wear a hoody you know.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    Of course not. But not everyone who wears a hoody commits a crime. Look at the large legions of goth and emo kiddies...
    Who says they do???? :no:
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    Well anything is possible in this country, especially with the pathetic immigration system.
    Would you give it a fucking rest and stop derailing every single thread with your obsessions?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Would you give it a fucking rest and stop derailing every single thread with your obsessions?
    It was an example.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    Nothing. Until they commit a crime. It is not a crime to wear a hoody you know.

It is a crime to be young and outside in certain areas.

Frankly I find the retoric surrounding teenagers these days deeply depressing.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    Who says they do???? :no:

You said everyone in hoodies wants to steal money and watches. Look back one page.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    It is a crime to be young and outside in certain areas.

Frankly I find the retoric surrounding teenagers these days deeply depressing.
    Ah come off it. I'm a teenager.... we've never had it so good.

If you abide by the law... I've never commited a crime and never been in touch with the police as a result.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    You said everyone in hoodies wants to steal money and watches. Look back one page.
    Everyone? Now you have a look back and see what I really said. You'll find I did not say 'everyone'.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    Ah come off it. I'm a teenager.... we've never had it so good.

If you abide by the law... I've never commited a crime and never been in touch with the police as a result.

And you dont find the fact that the Police can ban under age kids from certain areas for no reason an issue?

You dont find the use of hearsay evidence to remove kids ability to go to certain places or even leave the house at certain times disturbing?
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    And you dont find the fact that the Police can ban under age kids from certain areas for no reason an issue?
    They wouldn't do it in the first place if crime wasn't being commited and families lives were being a living hell.
    bongbudda wrote:
    You dont find the use of hearsay evidence to remove kids ability to go to certain places or even leave the house at certain times disturbing?
    Not really as the police haven't really implemented this, well around my area anyway.

Like I said before, if there was no major porblems in the first place then measuyres like this wouldn't have to be taken.

Instead of doing this, I'd prefer the government to lock up the major thugs.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    They wouldn't do it in the first place if crime wasn't being commited and families lives were being a living hell.

Not really as the police haven't really implemented this, well around my area anyway.

Like I said before, if there was no major porblems in the first place then measuyres like this wouldn't have to be taken.

Instead of doing this, I'd prefer the government to lock up the major thugs.

What faith you have in the Police, surely they wouldn't use this legislation for the wrong reasons.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    What faith you have in the Police, surely they wouldn't use this legislation for the wrong reasons.
    How do you mean?
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    How do you mean?

I just mean you seem a little too accepting of the removal of civil rights, like that of a trial, or presumption of innocence.

You are right in thinking that the Police largely do a good job and do abide by the spirit of the law, however by giving them such wide reaching powers without checks and balances we are tempting fate somewhat.