Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Vegetarians

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Was just wondering if anyone has any good vegetarian recipes?
I've been veggie for about 12 years and although I cook a variety of things, I could do with some new ideas.

Generally the main things I cook are
-roasted veg & halloumi with cous cous or rice
-pasta dishes / risottos
-veggie lasagne
-cauliflour cheese
-spanish omelettes
-quorn burgers

I eat pretty much anything that isn't meat. Lately I've thought about going vegan as I don't really like the thought of eating dairy or eggs, but it's just not practical - I tried it for a couple of weeks and lost almost a stone, and I'm only a size 8 as it is, so think will stick to being vegetarian.

So if anyone has any recipes...put them here...thanks!

And don't turn this into a thread slating vegetarians please :no:

Comments

• Options
    And don't turn this into a thread slating vegetarians please

Boohissboo ;)

Do you like curries? Most of my friends are vegetarians, and a couple of them can do some seriously mean daal, one recipe here

Scroll dosn here and there are some good Thai based dishes
  • Options
    the vegan diet must be so boring, and quite unhealthy too
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Pink Soda wrote:
    And don't turn this into a thread slating vegetarians please :no:

yet...
    Ballerina wrote:

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    A veggie chili or fajitas is yummy. Either use quorn chicken / mince or just use vegetables.

When I was veggie I ate a lot of Mexican and Indian food. Loved it.

What about a ratatouille?
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:

I had a vegan friend and she used to eat lots of exciting dishes and was extremely healthy (bar all the chocolate she used to eat! You *can* get vegan chocolate, btw. But yeah, no-one could say she was unhealthy. And she wasn't a stick insect either.
  • Options
    I had a vegan friend and she used to eat lots of exciting dishes and was extremely healthy (bar all the chocolate she used to eat! You *can* get vegan chocolate, btw. But yeah, no-one could say she was unhealthy. And she wasn't a stick insect either.

Yeah I don't think a vegan diet would be that hard. To be honest though, I just think it would be too difficult, like going to restaurants and eating at people's houses is hard enough being veggie let alone vegan.
  • Options
    Pink Soda wrote:
    Yeah I don't think a vegan diet would be that hard. To be honest though, I just think it would be too difficult, like going to restaurants and eating at people's houses is hard enough being veggie let alone vegan.

Definitely :yes:

If we were going out, we had to phone up places in advance to ask if they catered for a vegan. Quite often people didn't know what a vegan was and thought that they just don't eat meat.

I was veggie but could never *ever* be vegan. I love my cheese too much :(

EDIT: As for more ideas, what about Shepherd's Pie made with quorn?

Or scalloped potatoes?
  • Options
    its just the hassle of eating out and checking stuff, it seems to have alot of restrictions. What do they do about certain vitamins/calcium and stuff?
  • Options

EDIT: As for more ideas, what about Shepherd's Pie made with quorn?

Or scalloped potatoes?

Thanks for the ideas, yeah shepherd's pie is a good idea...Quorn mince is really good actually, I often make lasagne with it and people don't even notice it's not meat. The quorn pieces are good for fajitas as well but not too keen on some of their other products.

It's a bit difficult cos I live with my boyfriend alot of the time who eats meat and doesn't really eat many vegetables unless they're in a roast dinner. Luckily though he'll eat quorn mince so will try the shepherd's pie :)
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    its just the hassle of eating out and checking stuff, it seems to have alot of restrictions. What do they do about certain vitamins/calcium and stuff?

My flatmate used to take extra vitamins.

It's easy enough if you are willing to try, I think. Yes, it *can* be difficult for the reasons Pink Soda gave, but it doesn't need to be unhealthy or boring.

Pink Soda - don't tell your b/f that there isn't any meat in it! Quorn mince is so good, as is the quorn pieces. Didn't like the other quorn stuff though. I also liked the Linda McCartney sausages in a sandwich :yum:
  • Options
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote:
    vegetarian chicken

what on earth do they make chicken out of if it's not chicken?
  • Options
    :sour:

If you're going to be negative, at least make it funny.
    why? i was just expressing a thought. To me it just seems quite restrictive, but some people can do it - and thats fine. That's all i was saying.
  • Options
    Apart from obviously meat, is there any in particular you won't use for one reason or another?

I quite like stuffed peppers, but can't remember how to make them...
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    You can get supplements for pretty much everything your body needs these days.

I'd love to be able to be a vegan, or even a veggie, because it seems so much healthier, but I couldn't live without my chicken, cheese, or milk :(. I know they have substitutes, but I've heard they're nowhere near the same.
  • Options
    Franki wrote:
    You can get supplements for pretty much everything your body needs these days.

I'd love to be able to be a vegan, or even a veggie, because it seems so much healthier, but I couldn't live without my chicken, cheese, or milk :(. I know they have substitutes, but I've heard they're nowhere near the same.
    i'm not too keen on chicken or cheese but i love milk! I prefer it over fizzy drinks and stuff that fills you really quickly. Tons better for teeth too.
    I've tried soya milk :yuck:
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    I quite like stuffed peppers, but can't remember how to make them...

I love stuffed peppers. Generally just lop the top off a pepper, empty it and then fill it with (cooked) rice, onions, garlic, spices... well, anything I like. Then bang it in the oven for a bit. Easy peasy.

Being vegan isn't easy, but then not many worthwhile things are. The meals my vegan friends create are phenomenal, though.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    I've tried soya milk :yuck:

It actually isn;t that bad. Gross when mixed with strawberry milkshake mix though.:yuck:
  • Options
    O I eat a lot of fruit. Melons and mangos are super nice.

O I avoid fruit juices, way too much sugar (even though they are better than fizzy stuff)

O I eat a lot of rice. I just like it so much. I make spicy rice by mixing some cumin, pepper and chilli powder. Sometimes I just add some Dolmio Bolognese sauce and make a weird rice curry thing.

The cool thing about being veggie is that we tend to be more careful with what we put in our mouths. When I see people going into a fast food restaurant, I just hope they know the quality of the meat they're eating. I try and get my family to buy good quality stuff, even if it is meat.

A Little about me:

I've been a veggie for almost 7/8 years now. I've been trying to be vegan for the last 9 or so months. Because I'm living away from home for the first time, I keep forgetting to buy more food : (

I've had four or five sandwiches from Tesco that contained a dairy spread or had cheese. But apart from that, all the food in my flat is vegan. Oh and I don't buy leather shoes or wool.
  • Options
    Quorn sausages (or tesco faux-quorn saussies) are my staple diet these days. I'm not really a veggie, I just totally prefer them to real meat, and they're uber handy, what with the freezing and cooking from frozen business. Quorn pieces too (have even got Mr. K hooked on them!)

The pieces are great for stir-frys, fajitas and curries - mix with veg and chuck a sauce on.

My fave thing to do with the saussies is chop them up into wee pieces and fry them with some pine nuts (only chuck the pine nuts in near the end, or they burn). Make some cous cous or pasta, stir in pesto and/or sun dried tomato bits, stir in cooked bangers and pine nuts, add other veggies as you like (usually sweetcorn for me). Devour :yum:
  • Options
    I love ratatouille on pitta breads with cheese. I make ratatoullie from onions, peppers, tomatoes and tomato puree, when its cooked spoon it on top of pitta breads and cover with cheese, then put in the oven for 15-20 minutes or so. Tastes like pizza but more healthy as more veg and you can choose how much (or how little) cheese to put on.

Also sometimes have vegetable stew, just cut up lots of veg like potatoes, leeks, green beans, butter beans, carrots, etc. bung it all in a casserole dish with water and a stock cube and leave to cook for a couple of hours - can also add dumplings made with vegetable suet if you like them.

If you are making a nice meal with a starter or fancy a snack, you can cook field mushrooms in the oven for about 15 minutes, add garlic butter to their undersides and cover with cheese and cook until the cheese melts, then put them on top of toasted ciabatta (sp?) bread.

Also Indian food has loads of veggie dishes, veggie curries obviously, mushroom or vegetble rice, dhall dishes and sag aloo etc. Lovely.
  • Options
    everyone keeps mentioning pesto, whats this like? I wouldnt know what to look for in the supermarket...is it a fresh thing? is it a sauce type thing, is it expensive?
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    everyone keeps mentioning pesto, whats this like? I wouldnt know what to look for in the supermarket...is it a fresh thing? is it a sauce type thing, is it expensive?

You would get it at the dry pasta section and is normally in a little jar. The one I get is the green sacla pesto. Tis yummy.

It looks like this.
  • Options
    You would get it at the dry pasta section and is normally in a little jar. The one I get is the green sacla pesto. Tis yummy.

It looks like this.

what sort of taste is it? Is it a vegetable herby type thing? Is it strong tasting?
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    what sort of taste is it? Is it a vegetable herby type thing? Is it strong tasting?

You put as much in as you want, so if you like it strong then you put lots in etc.

It's main ingredients are basil, pine nuts and olive oil but there are variants with things like tomato or cashew nuts.

It's one of those things that is really difficult to describe the taste of - it is fairly unique. But i'd advice just trying it out. A small jar isn't very expensive and can last for quite a while. You only put a spoonful of pesto in each serving.

This is wikipedia's take on pesto.
  • Options
    You put as much in as you want, so if you like it strong then you put lots in etc.

It's main ingredients are basil, pine nuts and olive oil but there are variants with things like tomato or cashew nuts.

It's one of those things that is really difficult to describe the taste of - it is fairly unique. But i'd advice just trying it out. A small jar isn't very expensive and can last for quite a while. You only put a spoonful of pesto in each serving.

This is wikipedia's take on pesto.

cool thanks, i may buy a jar and mix it in with a few pasta dishes

Is it more of a pasta addition, or does it taste good with other stuff too?
  • Options
    M&S do a gorgeous lime-basil pesto that you can use in pasta but is actually intended for noodles and rice :yum:
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    M&S do a gorgeous lime-basil pesto that you can use in pasta but is actually intended for noodles and rice :yum:

i'd love to try your stuffed peppers idea but ive no idea what i'd put in it which is why this pesto stuff interests me

i dont like really strong tastes and dont like garlic or onion, which means im not left with much to stuff a pepper with
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    cool thanks, i may buy a jar and mix it in with a few pasta dishes

Is it more of a pasta addition, or does it taste good with other stuff too?

I really like pesto in a sandwich too. I would put it in a salad and / chicken sandwich instead of margarine. Tis tasty. Or in pitta bread :yum:

I've never tried it in anything else though, like a rice dish or a different main meal to pasta. It is rare that I have it as the boy dislikes it :grump: