Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

£17,000 for people that died in bombings

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My original question wasn't even if we should give compensation or not it was about the level of compensation given.

...and you got the answer. Some of us feel that £17,000 is too much to start with. We would start at £0.
    I think this country often does things on the cheap and yet is happy to throw money at projects like the Millennium Dome or even to go to war in Iraq just to support the Americans. I think the Spanish government's compensation figure was closer to the mark.

Oh, \I think we often try to do things on the cheap and then come unstuck... hell that theory was applied to public services under Thatcher.

But just because another Govt is geerous with compensation, doesn't mean that we should be.
  • Options
    Hmm, so in all 100% honesty you can tell me if for instance you were someone like my friend's wife (as an example) ... a mother of say 3 very young kids (triplets) and your husband (the sole wage earner) was going to work and was blown up in the attacks last year you'd be perfectly fine with getting zero from the government - be able to pay for the funeral expenses by yourself and raise 3 kids on zero income? .. apart from what the local council might give you?

Be able to handle three kids yourself because your husband's dead? With your nearest family living in a totally different country? Not many friends to help out because you spent the last few years raising your kids instead of going out and meeting people?

At least if the woman's husband has been hit by a car by law the driver should have 3rd part cover which would cover

· Liability for injuries to others, including passengers.
    · Liability for damage to someone’s property.
    · Liability of passengers for accidents caused by them.
    · Liability arising from the use of a caravan or trailer while attached to the car.

who do you get compensation off in a terrorist attack?
  • Options
    Hmm, so in all 100% honesty you can tell me if for instance you were someone like my friend's wife (as an example) ... a mother of say 3 very young kids (triplets) and your husband (the sole wage earner) was going to work and was blown up in the attacks last year you'd be perfectly fine with getting zero from the government - be able to pay for the funeral expenses by yourself and raise 3 kids on zero income? .. apart from what the local council might give you?

That's what I have life insurance for.

How does that scenario differ if the person had died of something else.

Indeed, how bad do you think it is when the person as several months without an income whilst they slowly die of cancer?
    At least if the woman's husband has been hit by a car by law the driver should have 3rd part cover which would cover

· Liability for injuries to others, including passengers.
    · Liability for damage to someone’s property.
    · Liability of passengers for accidents caused by them.
    · Liability arising from the use of a caravan or trailer while attached to the car.

who do you get compensation off in a terrorist attack?

If, if, if. If he'd been the driver and wrapped himself around a lampost then there would also be no-one to claim from.

Point is that people die everyday, without compensation. Shit happens and we should stop expecting someone to cough up tons of dough to "ease our pain".
  • Options
    Point is that people die everyday, without compensation. Shit happens and we should stop expecting someone to cough up tons of dough to "ease our pain".

That is exactly the point.

The CICB was set up with the intention of compensating for financial loss, not emotional loss. The CICB has a limited pot of money, and by doling out money to bombing victims they are reducing the pot of money for those who have to live with and care for people who are severely disabled, for one thing.

£17,000 would not be enough money to compensate me for my emotional loss should my wife have died, but then no figure would have been. But why should the payout be significantly larger because it was a high-profile bombing? A sudden criminal death is a sudden criminal death, and has an equal effect regardless of who did it and why. Someone who gets stabbed on a night out sure as hell won't get £17,000, and nor did victims of IRA bombings.

The CICB is there to help people cope with financial loss. If the death places a family in poverty then the CICB should rightly pay out to ensure that they don't lose their house and starve. If the death does not do that then the payout should be nil. The starting point for any payout should be nil.

That is why people who survive criminal attacks, but are left severely disabled, get far higher payouts than those who die in criminal attacks. It is to ensure that their care is paid for and protected, it isn't to make them feel better about having no legs.
  • Options
    I heard on the news the average pay out for people who died inthe terrorist attacks in London last year was just £17,000... Are we just a little cheap here in the UK?
    I think you've all missed the real question here, and not one about money. How do you judge the monetary value of a human life?