Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Platoon

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Aladdin wrote:
    But he wasn't the only one to blame for Portugal's cheating and diving. Many other Portuguese players were too.
    That's what we've been saying.
    Aladdin wrote:
    As for the infamous Rooney incident, I think we're giving Ronaldo too much credit. A referee doesn't decide to send somebody off based on what some unrelated player who was 30 yards away might say. If you think about it, it is really stupid to suggest that the ref decided to send Rooney off after Ronaldo approached him and made a pointless gesture. It doesnt' work like that, wink or not wink.
    If you watch the video though, the referee doesn't call Rooney over until he pushes Ronaldo away. And just for the record, I don't think that Rooney can blame anyone else but himself for his sending off, but if the push did contribute, then that's a pretty crap reason to send someone off.
  • Options
    To be honest I don't think the push had much to do with it. Even though strictly speaking pushing an opponent could be seen as a red card offence, in practice almost all such incidents go unpunished, even by a yellow. A direct red must have originated from the ref's belief that the stamping was on purpose.

It would certainly be a sad day for the sport if the most innocuous episode of pushing gets a red card. I really hope that wasn't the cae.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    It would certainly be a sad day for the sport if the most innocuous episode of pushing gets a red card. I really hope that wasn't the cae.
    It wouldn't surprise me with the referees at this tournament. It's been shocking to be fair, except for the Germany - Italy game where the ref was sublime.
  • Options
    I think the ref was spot on with his decision. There's a reason he's been given the final - because he's a good referee. Much better than any shite we have in our domestic league, though that's not saying much I suppose.
  • Options
    The ref has said it was a straight red for the "stamp". But in the first instance when I was in a very lively boozer so no commentary, me and everyone around me thought it was for the push and if you watch it you can see why people think this. The ref was standing over the foul with his arm raised in the direction of the free kick, making no suggestions to Rooney what-so-ever, as soon as he pushed Ronaldo the whistle went to his mouth and he called him over and sent him off. I believe the push was part of the red card even though the ref denies this now. I think if the ref had done his job correctly he would have given a yellow for both as neither IMO was an instant red.
  • Options
    migpilot wrote:
    You can claim you watch more football than me, but you are probably wrong.

:lol:
  • Options
    The ref has said it was a straight red for the "stamp". But in the first instance when I was in a very lively boozer so no commentary, me and everyone around me thought it was for the push and if you watch it you can see why people think this. The ref was standing over the foul with his arm raised in the direction of the free kick, making no suggestions to Rooney what-so-ever, as soon as he pushed Ronaldo the whistle went to his mouth and he called him over and sent him off. I believe the push was part of the red card even though the ref denies this now. I think if the ref had done his job correctly he would have given a yellow for both as neither IMO was an instant red.

There's no reason to think that at all really. Refs take ages to give red cards usually, sometimes even going over to their assistants first. Who's to say the card wasn't coming out all along. Rooney seems to think it was for the stamp, and he was the one at the centre of it all, talking to the ref! All Rooney claims is that the stamp was accidental, which is fair enough. He doesn't whinge about players interfering and the push. He knows what he went for.
  • Options
    Addict wrote:
    There's no reason to think that at all really. Refs take ages to give red cards usually, sometimes even going over to their assistants first. Who's to say the card wasn't coming out all along. Rooney seems to think it was for the stamp, and he was the one at the centre of it all, talking to the ref! All Rooney claims is that the stamp was accidental, which is fair enough. He doesn't whinge about players interfering and the push. He knows what he went for.
    I think theres every reason to think it just by watching the incident. I don't deny that refs sometimes take a while to make decisions and produce cards. Just by the way the ref re-acted to the push made it seem to me and everyone in the pub he had being straight redded for the push because thats what it looked like. Not saying that is the case but its definately what it looked like.
  • Options
    I think theres every reason to think it just by watching the incident. I don't deny that refs sometimes take a while to make decisions and produce cards. Just by the way the ref re-acted to the push made it seem to me and everyone in the pub he had being straight redded for the push because thats what it looked like. Not saying that is the case but its definately what it looked like.

But don't you think that if Rooney says he was sent off for the stamp and he was the one who was there, arguing with the ref, then that is what happened. I'd be pretty happy to take Rooney's opinion on the matter, him actually being there on the pitch, and not in the pub like.
  • Options
    Addict wrote:
    But don't you think that if Rooney says he was sent off for the stamp and he was the one who was there, arguing with the ref, then that is what happened. I'd be pretty happy to take Rooney's opinion on the matter, him actually being there on the pitch, and not in the pub like.
    What the fuck?? Do you read anything I write??
    I'm not going through what I've wrote before but I'm sure I've said the ref has made it clear he was sent off for the stamp. So that is obviously what he got sent off for, agreed?? I'm saying by watching the action and the refs reaction to the push it looked like thats what he'd being sent off for.

We all know he got sent off for the stamp but at the time it certainly looked like the red was for the push, if you had eyes and have seen it then I can't see an argument against it. But like I said and will say again I KNOW he got sent off for the stamp.