Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

If you were running the country...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
...would you be pro-nuclear or pro-green?

Would you authorise the building of new and replacement of old Nuclear Power Stations, at a cost of over £100 billion, or would you apply the green solutions such as the sea windmills off the Norfolk Coast for instance?

This is a long term decision.

I would go green and try to get the money for it from the private sector.

Would you?

Comments

• Options
    I wouldn't be one or the other. I think it'd be stupid to put all your eggs in one basket. But I would certainly make sure that alternative energy got as much research money as nuclear has had over the years.
  • Options
    green alternative energy
    wave, wind, solar, geothermal, tidal barge's (small ones not to affect tidal flow and wildlife)
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Pro-Nuclear!

Nuclear power is the way forwards! Well, actually, Fusion is... but that is years away.

Nuuuucclllleeearrrr!!!!
  • Options
    Nuclear is crap, I would concentrate on creating wormhole and blackhole weapons... You want some respect and peace in the world, with those kind of weapon you could achieve it... The world have to be in peace or it will be destroy in its integrality... I can guarantee you that peace it would be...
  • Options
    Windmills are an eyesore, it would take thousands of the cancerous monstrosities to match the output of traditional sources of energy.

Anyway I'm pro-nuclear and I would have thought the global warming brigade would be too. There's also a case for looking at cleaner coal.
  • Options
    I would first try to change we generate and produce electricity from the bottom up, not the other way around. In other words, I would encourage or even make every household install solar panels and a wind turbine when possible.

Solar panels alone can produce all the electricity a household needs. And the greatest news is that any excess juice produce has to be compulsory bought by the electricity companies at commercial rates.

After all of that I would see whether how we can move forward. If I could avoid nuclear energy I sure as hell would.
  • Options
    I'd be a mixture of both. I think it's unrealistic to think anything but a combination is going to power us in the immediate to mid-term future.
  • Options
    If i was running the country, the rivers would flow with blood and the screams of my victims would echo through time itself...

But id probably go both ways until a safer fuel was available in a massive amount to fully supply the country. I would also probably use private sector to develop it as much as public sector.
  • Options
    I think it's too easy to say "I'd get rid of nuclear and go green" when it's all hypothetical and you don't have a budget to deal with. But haven't the Germans decided they aren't building any more? What is their plan?
  • Options
    id just love to threaten north korea with this bad boy
    200px-Pitstone-windmill.600px.jpg
  • Options
    I think I'd be pro-nuclear. It has been used for years and we haven't expereicned any problems. It is clean and on the whole, it doesn't damage the environment.
    Wind mills make the landscape look undesirable. Plus they wouldn't generate enough electricity.
  • Options
    i'd replace the existing ones which will go out of service, i'd ban old filament lightbulbs, spend money to tell people to turn off things proper when they aren't in use and to have their tyres at their optimum pressure, and i'd pump more money into nuclear fusion research, and loads of other little things

stopping waste of energy is one of the main things, and using a combination of technologies etc is the best way

i like how people are like one or the other, when actually the idea is to do a smooth yet harsh transformation

electricity isnt the only energy usage
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Nuclear is crap, I would concentrate on creating wormhole and blackhole weapons... You want some respect and peace in the world, with those kind of weapon you could achieve it... The world have to be in peace or it will be destroy in its integrality... I can guarantee you that peace it would be...

Holy shit.

I've been thinking about harnessing the power of the quantum singularity too. I mean, if it were possible to generate, contain, and control one...

It would be the single most powerful source of energy ever. Plus we could throw all our rubbish and nuclear waste into it - and it'd be gone! Woo!

Which brings me to the best gun in a game ever: Blood 2 - Singularity Generator!
    b2-singularity.jpg
  • Options
    if i was running the country, id get rid of stoke on trent, and possibly hull as well

both places i dont like and have experienced nasty experiences while there
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    if i was running the country, id get rid of stoke on trent, and possibly hull as well

both places i dont like and have experienced nasty experiences while there

Well the North East is hardly paradise.
  • Options
    Isn't Luke from Stoke? :D
  • Options

Which bit did you go to?
  • Options

Well where i live is absolutely beautifal
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Isn't Luke from Stoke? :D
    :chin:
  • Options
    We need to maintain the level of generation from nuclear that we have, but this doesnt mean replacing them all, new hellium float nuclear power stations would produce huge amounts each and we'd probably only need 10.

I've also go for the tidal generator across the channel by Bristol, more wind and clean coal.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Holy shit.

I've been thinking about harnessing the power of the quantum singularity too. I mean, if it were possible to generate, contain, and control one...

It would be the single most powerful source of energy ever. Plus we could throw all our rubbish and nuclear waste into it - and it'd be gone! Woo!

Which brings me to the best gun in a game ever: Blood 2 - Singularity Generator!
    b2-singularity.jpg

I have actually a theory to create a black hole, that in theory should work, but it is a risky experiment too make... Cos well if it works, bye bye earth... I need to go to space to test it first... But at work we hope to be able to start our aerospacial research within thenext 10 years... fingers crossed...
  • Options
    Throw out all the liberals to Iraq! :wave:
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:

Do you have any idea what you're talking about?
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Do you have any idea what you're talking about?
    Yes or I wouldn't have said it. :crazyeyes
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:

The hell is that supposed to mean? who are 'liberals' what would the point of that be? so they can get shot at?

I would introduce more Green Taxes.
    Higher taxes for higher earners in general though not anything ridiculous.
    Abolish private schools.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    Abolish private schools.

Easy to say for a privileged Home Counties grammar school boy who was lucky enough to have the opportunity of getting a first class state education. Perhaps if you weren't lucky enough to have lived in one of the wealthiest parts of the country with top state schools you might feel differently. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Which bit did you go to?

Sunderland. My mate's sister is a lecturer at the uni there.
  • Options
    Easy to say for a privileged Home Counties grammar school boy who was lucky enough to have the opportunity of getting a first class state education. Perhaps if you weren't lucky enough to have lived in one of the wealthiest parts of the country with top state schools you might feel differently. :rolleyes:

Unlike some others i actually worked to get to the grammar school. According to the 11+ i wasnt good enough for one but after a year in a comprehensive (where the education was shit might i add) i managed to claw my way into the grammar school. Ive experienced both sides of the coin. The idea of grammar schools is also a bad one. ok? Also im far from wealthy. Im just thankful i wasnt left to rot in the local comprahensive duen to the flawed 11+ system.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    The hell is that supposed to mean? who are 'liberals' what would the point of that be? so they can get shot at?
    Who's that you ask... let me start the list...

(Picks you up by the arms and throws you to baghdad... begs to come back... :wave: :lol: Bye!!!)
  • Options
    I think it's clueless little chickenhawks that should be made to go to Iraq... seeing as they were the ones supporting the illegal actions that have descended the country into an unspeakable hellhole.

Let's see how the citizens of Iraq welcome their 'liberators'.