Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Democratic deficit in Britain

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    MrG wrote:
    yeh but their party line is the same as the english one
    So what's your point?
  • Options
    you arguement to the untrained eye seems to infer that party lines are different with scottish mp's than english ones, when it isnt the case
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    you arguement to the untrained eye seems to infer that party lines are different with scottish mp's than english ones, when it isnt the case
    What? lol I haven't said such thing. proof?
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    Thanks to the party whip, Scottish MP's will impose their party line on the English as it isn't going to affect them is it!!

just a badly worded post by yourself luke

thats where i thought it soudned like you were saying there was a scottish party line
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    just a badly worded post by yourself luke

thats where i thought it soudned like you were saying there was a scottish party line
    You haven't a clue what you're talking about have you?
  • Options
    Yes i do, ive very much got a good idea what im talking about, you dont.
    luke wrote:
    Scottish MP's will impose their party line on the Eng......
    the party line doesnt belong to scottish mp's

therefore you dont know whats going on do you
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    Yes i do, ive very much got a good idea what im talking about, you dont.

the party line doesnt belong to scottish mp's

therefore you dont know whats going on do you
    Scottish Labour Mp's will be able to vote with the party line as they have no rebellions in their own constituencies to worry about. Therefore they aer very likely to vote with the party line, imposing this on the English.

Yes I know excatly what i'm talking about.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    Scottish Labour Mp's will be able to vote with the party line as they have no rebellions in their own constituencies to worry about. Therefore they aer very likely to vote with the party line, imposing this on the English.

Yes I know excatly what i'm talking about.

rebellions in the constituencies?

you mean Mp's rebelling against the party line dont you?
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    rebellions in the constituencies?

you mean Mp's rebelling against the party line dont you?
    The Uk's electoral system is suspsoed to put emphasis on the individual constiuetncy MP link right?

Therefore.... if your MP votes infavour of the war in Iraq for example... there may be huge rebellions in that constituency so they vote against them next time round.

Whereas in Scotland, when they vote on legislation concerning England only, say it's unpopular, the government can get the help of Scottish Mp's to vote infavour of it using the parties whip. As they (the Scottish MP's) having nothing to loose since it won't affect their constituents, therefore no threat to their political success.
  • Options
    but wouldnt passing the legislation with the help of english MP's as well (biggest group of MP's) mean that there was no chance a government could be re-elected as there would be back lash amongst all constituencies

the situation you describe is a side effect of symptom of what we call the situation known as the west lothian question, the government dont actually use party whips specifically to target scottish mp's because of that fact

just the same way as just because i had salad for lunch, doesnt make me a veggie
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    but wouldnt passing the legislation with the help of english MP's as well (biggest group of MP's) mean that there was no chance a government could be re-elected as there would be back lash amongst all constituencies

the situation you describe is a side effect of symptom of what we call the situation known as the west lothian question, the government dont actually use party whips specifically to target scottish mp's because of that fact

just the same way as just because i had salad for lunch, doesnt make me a veggie
    I feel it is true that Scottish MP's will be more willing to vote along the party on legislation affecting England only since that legislation won't affect their constituents. This happened with foundation hospitals and top up fees.
  • Options
    The reason someone joins up with the labour party, or the conservatives, or even the lib dems, is that the party in question shares their main ideals and ideological thoughts etc

ever stopped and thought luke that the reason people dont follow party lines, is not because of the potential for a big back lash, but because they dont believe in it

and the reason many people do support the party line, scottish or not, do so because they do believe in what they see on the table
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    The reason someone joins up with the labour party, or the conservatives, or even the lib dems, is that the party in question shares their main ideals and ideological thoughts etc

ever stopped and thought luke that the reason people dont follow party lines, is not because of the potential for a big back lash, but because they dont believe in it

and the reason many people do support the party line, scottish or not, do so because they do believe in what they see on the table
    So why don't Scottish Mp's, if they believe in top up fees, why don't they legislate this for Scottish students too?
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    So why don't Scottish Mp's, if they believe in top up fees, why don't they legislate this for Scottish students too?

because the scottish MP's we are talking about are members of wesminster parliament, MSP's (members of scottish parliament) are a completely different set of people, and they voted against top up fees

doesnt matter what the westminster whip does in relation to MP's in scottish constituencys, those MP's dont vote in the scottish parliament, so i dont see where your point is coming from
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    because the scottish MP's we are talking about are members of wesminster parliament, MSP's (members of scottish parliament) are a completely different set of people, and they voted against top up fees

doesnt matter what the westminster whip does in relation to MP's in scottish constituencys, those MP's dont vote in the scottish parliament, so i dont see where your point is coming from
    My point is..... exclude those scottish votes from the vote and top upo fees would have been defeated!
  • Options
    you have a fair enough point, but that wasnt what you said, the quote below was what i was talking about
    luke88 wrote:

because scottish MP's and MSP's are two entirely different things, and you can only be one or the other
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    you have a fair enough point, but that wasnt what you said, the quote below was what i was talking about

because scottish MP's and MSP's are two entirely different things, and you can only be one or the other
    Yes... but if Scottish MP's believe top up fees are a good thing, then why don't they lobby their own parliament? What gives them a right to tell us to have top up fees but not those in their own back yard?
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    Yes... but if Scottish MP's believe top up fees are a good thing, then why don't they lobby their own parliament? What gives them a right to tell us to have top up fees but not those in their own back yard?

because a scottish MP swore allegiance to the crown i do believe?

and they are a little too busy being a Member of her majesties government, if they wanted to lobby the scottish parliament, then they would stand as a MSP
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    British demcracy is erodding very fast unless England is granted some form of power for it's self.

i think you (luke) have lost the plot a bit, the above quote is from the origional post by yourself, in this thread

British democracy is eroding, unless england gets some form of power?

British is to english
    As english is to british
    As hot cross buns are to easter
    As americans are to oil
  • Options
    I agree that Scottish, Irish and Welsh MPs shouldn't vote on English only issues Luke, but you've managed to fuck up a good argument.

With the assemblies in each of those countries, there really isn't any justification why they should continue with the current set up.
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    because a scottish MP swore allegiance to the crown i do believe?

and they are a little too busy being a Member of her majesties government, if they wanted to lobby the scottish parliament, then they would stand as a MSP
    The whole thread is about this.... about taking away their right to influence the vote for english only issues.
  • Options
    I agree that Scottish, Irish and Welsh MPs shouldn't vote on English only issues Luke, but you've managed to fuck up a good argument.

With the assemblies in each of those countries, there really isn't any justification why they should continue with the current set up.

i always think that the only argument worth siding with luke on, is one you know you cant win anyway

i think we also need to view it as devolution for england as well, as opposed to the concept luke is suggesting of distancing and seperateing england from wales and scotland, we need to really seperate england from the british government first
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    i think you (luke) have lost the plot a bit, the above quote is from the origional post by yourself, in this thread

British democracy is eroding, unless england gets some form of power?

British is to english
    As english is to british
    As hot cross buns are to easter
    As americans are to oil
    Yeah....

I'm fed of of repeating my self....

I do not want Scottish people voting on legilsation that will affect me unless its reserved power. As my MP can not vote on Scottish issues.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    The whole thread is about this.... about taking away their right to influence the vote for english only issues.

good argument, but as the nice man above just said about you fluffing them up, look below
    lukesh wrote:
    Yes... but if Scottish MP's believe top up fees are a good thing, then why don't they lobby their own parliament?

because they are allready members of the british government
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    Yeah....

I'm fed of of repeating my self....

I do not want Scottish people voting on legilsation that will affect me unless its reserved power. As my MP can not vote on Scottish issues.

yes they can vote on scottish issues if it relates to defence

and im fed up of you having to repeat yourself, if you said something pretty sensible in the first place, that made sense, and didnt have an argument with holes wider than a collander, then id be all for it
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    i always think that the only argument worth siding with luke on, is one you know you cant win anyway

i think we also need to view it as devolution for england as well, as opposed to the concept luke is suggesting of distancing and seperateing england from wales and scotland, we need to really seperate england from the british government first
    Rubbish. I want an executive for England just like Scotland.
  • Options
    did you not read what i said, england needs to devolve from the british government, as we cant actually distance ourselves from the scots, or the welsh, as in their eyes, the english and the british currently go one in one, hand in hand at the moment
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    did you not read what i said, england needs to devolve from the british government, as we cant actually distance ourselves from the scots, or the welsh, as in their eyes, the english and the british currently go one in one, hand in hand at the moment
    Correct.

Each nation has its own parlaiment and westminister deals with the rest.

US style federal system really but minature.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    Correct.

Each nation has its own parlaiment and westminister deals with the rest.

US style federal system really but minature.

because we all want to be like the US

blair the poodle start ringing bells again?

its like the latest fetish, wanting to be all american again
  • Options
    I kinda agree with the columnist in the Guardian. The answer to the West Lothian question is not to ban all Scottish MPs from voting on purely English topics but to ban English MPs from voting.

That way you'll get impartial votes not swayed by by minor concerns. And lets face it, having the immense intellect and common sense of Scottish MPs controlling your country is a GOOD thing.

Yup, dissolve the Westminister Parliament and let us rule the country. It'll be grand.

:o