Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

arrested for handing out magazines near whitehall

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
just a couple of copies of vanity fair from the US talking about how authoritarian this country has become, and with a poster saying 'in repressive times, speaking the truth is a revolutionary act'

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/politics/article1129827.ece

sign of the time - ie pointless and quite scary
On 18 June, Mr Jago carried a placard in Whitehall bearing the George Orwell quote: "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." In his possession, he had several copies of an article in the American magazine Vanity Fair headlined "Blair's Big Brother Legacy", which were confiscated by the police. "The implication that I read from this statement at the time was that I was being accused of handing out subversive material," said Mr Jago. Yesterday, the author, Henry Porter, the magazine's London editor, wrote to Sir Ian Blair, the Metropolitan Police Commissioner, expressing concern that the freedom of the press would be severely curtailed if such articles were used in evidence under the Act.
so i got the quote wrong, but i made up a new one :p
Maya Evans 25

The chef was arrested at the Cenotaph in Whitehall reading out the names of 97 British soldiers killed in Iraq. She was the first person to be convicted under section 132 of the Serious Organised Crime and Police Act, which requires protesters to obtain police permission before demonstrating within one kilometre of Parliament.
Walter Wolfgang 82

The octogenarian heckled Jack Straw, the Foreign Secretary, during his speech to the Labour Party conference. He shouted "That's a lie" as Mr Straw justified keeping British troops in Iraq. He was manhandled by stewards and ejected from the Brighton Centre. He was briefly detained under Section 44 of the 2000 Terrorism Act.

Comments

• Options
    I was expecting to hear later that day that the editor of the Independent had been arrested for telling the truth. The truth, of course, is an alien concept to a Prime Minister who took Britain into an illegal war on the basis of lies. Who will save us from this tyranny?
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Who will save us from this tyranny?
    maybe the french will invade ...
  • Options
    Anything to save us from the Blair despot.
  • Options
    They want detention without charge longer as well. Things are going from bad to worse.
  • Options
    When is this newspaper going to shut up about the war - get over it.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    maybe when the war is actualy over eople will ...eventualy get over it.
    the war comtinues and our freedoms are slowly dissapearing ...so ...you believe the iraqis are gaining freedom whilst we slowly loose more and more of ours ...and thats ok with you?
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    Would you say the same about pro-war newspapers such as the S*n still going on about how wonderful and right it was?
  • Options
    maybe when the war is actualy over eople will ...eventualy get over it.
    the war comtinues and our freedoms are slowly dissapearing ...so ...you believe the iraqis are gaining freedom whilst we slowly loose more and more of ours ...and thats ok with you?
    Too broad to say.

Im prepared to give up some things for the time being while we fight.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Would you say the same about pro-war newspapers such as the S*n still going on about how wonderful and right it was?
    I've never recalled it ever saying that the Iraq war is wonderful but yes right, they very rarely keep oing on about it though.
  • Options
    They go on about it every week without fail.
  • Options

If a shit like that happend in France they would be sure in the street kicking some asses... After invading I am working on it :p
  • Options
    Look at the bright side though... if France invaded and annexed Britain at least you could still say you were going to win the World Cup.

:p
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Look at the bright side though... if France invaded and annexed Britain at least you could still say you were going to win the World Cup.

:p

:lol::lol: That's true tho :)
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    About the war? About how it's right? I don't think they do. The Independent has it in their editorial on a daily basis.
  • Options
    If a shit like that happend in France they would be sure in the street kicking some asses... After invading I am working on it :p
    see that what i like about the french ...they actualy come out fighting and telling their government where to get off.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    The Independent has it in their editorial on a daily basis.
    And so does every other responsible newspaper. To ignore a war simply because it doesn't fit in with a skewed political agenda is dangerous. Only today, the newspapers are full of things about the "Afghan mission". Do you want them to "get over it" as well?
    Aladdin wrote:
    The Sun never wastes an opportunity to lie about how brilliantly things are going in Iraq.
  • Options
    post deleted