Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Are this England team the Germany of the 2002 World Cup?

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
What with the elimination of Holland and the decimation of the Portuguese squad, England has a very easy passage to the semi finals of the world cup this year.

Seeing as England hasn't been playing very well but yet it hasn't really faced any real decent opposition, the team is starting to remind me of the not-terribly-good German squad that somehow managed to go all the way to the WC final in 2002.

You lucky gits! :p;)
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My thoughts exactly.
    yeah completly I mentioned this after the game, I do think the better the opposition the better we will play! or maybe thats blind optomism.
    yeah completly I mentioned this after the game, I do think the better the opposition the better we will play! or maybe thats blind optomism.

more like blind hope!!

If England manage to win the World Cup on there performances then I'll never watch football again and take up tiddlywinks or something.
    What about Brazil would you say the same if they won it?
    more like blind hope!!

If England manage to win the World Cup on there performances then I'll never watch football again and take up tiddlywinks or something.

And they played really well in '66?

Seem to also remember they were favourites in '70 but disappointed...

Football is not about predictability!!! Esp at the World Cup!!
    migpilot wrote:
    And they played really well in '66?

Seem to also remember they were favourites in '70 but disappointed...

Football is not about predictability!!! Esp at the World Cup!!

well look at france in 2002 everyone seemed to think all they had to do was turn up, same with Brazil this year.
    What about Brazil would you say the same if they won it?

Difference is that Brazil ARE (usely!) a quality team. England are mostly hype.
    Aladdin wrote:
    Seeing as England hasn't been playing very well but yet it hasn't really faced any real decent opposition, the team is starting to remind me of the not-terribly-good German squad that somehow managed to go all the way to the WC final in 2002.

You're not the only one; we were saying this exact same thing post-match yesterday.

I think it's a shame for people (like me) who watch because they enjoy a fucking good game of footy, rather than any rabid support of a particular team. However there's a way to go yet, things might just [hopefully] pick up.
    briggi wrote:
    I think it's a shame for people (like me) who watch because they enjoy a fucking good game of footy, rather than any rabid support of a particular team.

Do you support Sunderland? ;)
    Ssssh, it's a secret :crying: :impissed:
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    I don't believe there are any easy games in this world cup.

The Portuguese may be missing some 1st team players but so are we.
    Weekender Offender 
    There is a difference between a 1st team player and an impact 1st team player.