Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Tagging

All across the front page of Newcastle's Evening Chronicle tonight is how INCH, a notorious tagegr on Tyneside, is selling T-shirts of his name and bragging about how wonderful he is. There's nothing wrong with tagging, apparently, though strangely he'd be "annoyed" if someone went and tagged his car.

Graffiti vandals, and tagegrs in particular, are beyond scum and if they are arrested they should be jailed for life, with no possibility of parole. Locking them up is cheaper than cleaning the destruction that they cause.

Loving liberal that I am, I would actually want to chop their fucking hands off, because they would friggin deserve it. But no doubt this would breach their "human rights"; assuming that taggers are human, which is something I very much doubt.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: Re: Tagging
    Originally posted by lukesh
    hypercrite.

hypocrite
  • Options
    hypercrite.

Why do you say that?
  • Options
    I'm sensing some tension here Kermit. Don't be afraid to let it out and share with the group. You're in a loving safe environment.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Tagging
    have a guess???

Because you're a plank.

Am I hot?
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tagging
    your a cold! :D

I hope you catch me. That'll teach you a lesson.

rar!
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    'Skive' used to be my tag.

Always wanted to do graffiti 'art' but wasn't really any good.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Re: Tagging
    Originally posted by Kermit
    taggers
    whats a tagger then?
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    whats a tagger then?

Those annoying bastards who go and "tag" every bit of public space with a name. In Newcastle thsi guy is called INCH- every bus, every train, every bridge has INCH written on it about 417,000 times.

It's graffiti but without the artistic merit.
  • Options
    oh I thought this was about tagging criminals :blush:

that guys a plank......worra nutter eh.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Tagging
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Those annoying bastards who go and "tag" every bit of public space with a name. In Newcastle thsi guy is called INCH- every bus, every train, every bridge has INCH written on it about 417,000 times.

It's graffiti but without the artistic merit.
    ahh ..now i understand.
    us country bumpkins don't get this stuff but saying that ...we do get bible quotes on bridges with combat 18 scrawled next to them.
    i'd put money on it that no one ever checks the bible qoutes ...even if it's only cos by the time you got home you can't remember it!
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Tagging
    Originally posted by J

I do however like the graffiti art that brightens up the old buildings in our towns central park - I sit there and have a puff of the pipe sometimes.
    the commisioned ones can be fantastic ...but if they're commisioned they aint graffit.
  • Options
    Taggers: miserable little fucking brats who deserve to be slapped 10 times in the face for every time they've defaced a place followed by no fewer than 5,000 hours of community service cleaning walls and buses.

Little pieces of shit as they are.
  • Options
    good for inch by the sounds he is up like a bastard!!

listen

graffiti is art just art via a different medium

it has been around 4 1000 of years

its part of a culture so huge its undeniable

graffiti will never end

no government will stop it

i couldnt imagine waliking through a city without seeing stuff on the walls i love it people just need 2 accept graff for wht it is, an expression, it provides colour an art to the most derilct an run down of places graffiti is art its beautiful you just have to realize it
  • Options
    the commisioned ones can be fantastic ...but if they're commisioned they aint graffit.
    an yes they are
  • Options
    Thread Dead...
  • Options
    Are we drawing distinction between taggers and graffiti artists?

I think that London would be worse off without this chap: http://www.banksy.co.uk/
  • Options
    several things, banksy is a legend, my mate has a book that has all of his pieces in its great!
    second, monty pythons life of brian has the best sketch on graffitti and without that life would be a lot poorer!
    graffiti originallty was used as a way of political protest but now it has developed unfortunately into tagging which is just vandalism and bragging
    so there is a difference between graffiti and tagging, most tagging is shit anyway!
  • Options
    ahhh u see there you are confused

graffiti originated frm wht you sed yes thn developed into a gangland means of showing your turf or what ever, now there is barely none of tht aspect left of graffiti graffiti is art on a wall legal or illegal banksy is a graffiti and street artist, whom i love he is so original, but ther again i love people oike ja who have killed nyc ja has the most throw ups in the world and if you dont appreciate them 4 there merits then you wont like them but graffiti is ever growing, even tho all these shit toys tht come thorugh are crap bt they'll get better towns an cities will b a wash with graffiti

graffiti for the win
  • Options
    Out of Aladdin and Kermit, i only hope your not serious about the locking them away forever and cutting hands off and all that stuff...if you are im glad neither of you make the laws.

One thread its release people who plead guilty sooner coz its cheaper, on here its lock away people who commit minor non-crimes forever.

Your worse then me...and im a mad tabloid reactionary who jumps to conclusions all the time. lol
  • Options
    Banksy is fucking clever.
    Got the book for my birthday, and it hasn't ceased to amaze me.
  • Options
    Graffiti has some artistic merit...I may not like them destroying public areas, but at least those guys can (usually) paint. Banksy is very talented, and is a great modern artist.

There isn't any talent in spraying INCH on a wall though. What really pisses me off is where someone has spent ages painting a subway with a great graffiti mural, authorised or not, and some nodge comes and sprays their name all over it, ruining a great piece of art.

Anyone who claims tagging is art is a moron, and should join the queue to be liberated from their limbs.
  • Options
    Is it so difficult to type in English?
  • Options
    vowels are SO lst cntry (sic)
  • Options
    cuckooo12 wrote:
    ahhh u see there you are confused

graffiti originated frm wht you sed yes thn developed into a gangland means of showing your turf or what ever, now there is barely none of tht aspect left of graffiti graffiti is art on a wall legal or illegal banksy is a graffiti and street artist, whom i love he is so original, but ther again i love people oike ja who have killed nyc ja has the most throw ups in the world and if you dont appreciate them 4 there merits then you wont like them but graffiti is ever growing, even tho all these shit toys tht come thorugh are crap bt they'll get better towns an cities will b a wash with graffiti

graffiti for the win

Wow. No wonder people seem to think it's okay to scrawl their shit all over other people's property these days, the people who love it aren't even clever enough to string together a proper sentance - the chances of them being able to understand the concept of destroying other people's property has to be fairly low.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    Wow. No wonder people seem to think it's okay to scrawl their shit all over other people's property these days, the people who love it aren't even clever enough to string together a proper sentance - the chances of them being able to understand the concept of destroying other people's property has to be fairly low.
    :lol:
    i had problems
  • Options
    Thread Dead...
    but unfortunately ...inch still breathing?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Graffiti has some artistic merit...

...Anyone who claims tagging is art is a moron, and should join the queue to be liberated from their limbs.

Hmm, someone's confused!
  • Options
    but unfortunately ...inch still breathing?

Yep... seems like it...
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    Hmm, someone's confused!

I think there is a distinction to be drawn between tagging and graffiti. I also think there's an artistic hierarchy within graffiti. Some of it in my opinion is beautiful and brightens up boring concrete masses, while a lot of it is also crude and ugly.

I think Kermit just gets angry first and rationalises second from time to time :D
  • Options
    The tag is despised and yet the so admired 'piece is nothing but a glorified tag, bigger, bolder, outlined, 3D, backgrounds, fills on a floor, wall, underpass, train, art gallery- it's all the same. Graffiti is about the name, whether you're up with a dirty dripping home made glass etch marker pen on a bus window or have a neat two tone portrait of Bob Marley on canvas, finishing touches in pantone trias hanging in a prissy art gallery somewhere, it's all about the fame... If people don't like graffiti- that's understandable, there's reason enough but for people to admire the piece whilst hating the tag seems vile and hypocritical to me- it's like loving a concerto whilst hating a violin...