Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

the problem of child abuse - discuss

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Number of children killed by 'evil paedos' every year in Britain- around 8.

I don't know the statistics of children killed by their own parents, but I suspect is significantly higher than that.

Not to mention cars, domestic accidents, bugs caught at school etc.

Of course it's overreported. There's fucking paranoia about it.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Number of children killed by 'evil paedos' every year in Britain- around 8.
    Why the "evil paedos" bit? Don't you think that those who are prepared to do such things to children (or indeed to anyone) are evil?
  • Options
    They are certainly bad, and if you believe in using the word 'evil' liberally you could even call them that. But my remark was simply pointing out to another example of the tabloids' obsession with child sex offenders. The 'evil' and 'monster' adjetives rarely make their appearance for anyone else, murderers, rapists and whatnot.

I don't see child sex killers any more or less 'evil' than a number of other murderers to be honest. I look forward to the Scum or the Mail giving us regular updates and exclusive photographs for the next 30 years of the homophobic killers of that chap who got kicked hundreds of times in the head in Clapham Common who are now serving life in jail, for instance.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Why the "evil paedos" bit? Don't you think that those who are prepared to do such things to children (or indeed to anyone) are evil?

How can you classify people as evil?

I hate that word. It makes everyone sound beyond redemption. People aren't born evil. Sure people do pretty 'evil' things but it's such a crap word.
  • Options
    Rachael wrote:
    How can you classify people as evil?

I hate that word. It makes everyone sound beyond redemption. People aren't born evil. Sure people do pretty 'evil' things but it's such a crap word.
    nah.
    evil is a good word.
    there are horrible people.
    there are nasty nasty people ...and then we have ...evil bastards.