Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Split

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've just split with my gf of a few years, well gone on a break (basically a split) I'm feeling rather down at the moment understandably but I don't know what's going on. I'm trying to spend as much time with my friends atm just to keep my mind off it. Any advice?

Comments

• Options
    Whatever works best for you really.

Spending time with your mates works, and sometimes talking about it helps.

Bit of a bugger if it's been a few years though, hope all works out :thumb:
  • Options
    Yeah, we split up before last year for a bit too. I don't like being by myself as it allows me to think about things which upsets me but I'll have to wait and see how things pan out.
  • Options
    If you don't like being by yourself then it's definitely a good idea to keep busy and your mind off things that will bring you down. See your reliable group of mates, catch up with old ones, get out and about and have fun. That said, it's important that you do pay attention to the way you're feeling and the emotional confusion that you're [possibly?] feeling.

I've always found that spending a bit of time alone was a good thing, as long as I always had plans with people that meant if I went into moping-mode I couldn't very well stay there as my friends would've throttled me ;) A good balance between fun and recovering from the loss of your relationship is a key thing -- and will hopefully help you realise whether you want to go back to the relationship once again, or make a fresh start. Whatever you decide, I wish you the best of luck with it mate :thumb:
  • Options
    Thanks a lot mate, some good advice. I plan to just keep busy and have fun with my mates and we'll see how things pan out.
  • Options
    Briggi is spot on.

The moment you have too much time on your hands, your mind will start to dwell on her, wondering what she is doing, where she is, how she is coping, does she feel as desolute as you, etc

You need to rediscover that there IS life after a relationship and all those things that relationships sometimes hinder (e.g. spontaneous trips away, spending quality time with friends etc) are now open to you again.

Although you may take ages to really get over her, stay positive and realise that you can make new opportunities for yourself and that this period can be very exciting ...