Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

windows Vista beta2 - product key

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
anyone got one for me?
thanks, i have just finished and i can't seem to find one on microsoft's site.
thanks alkex

Comments

• Options
    http://bartysblog.be/content/get-your-windows-vista-beta-2-keys-early

Didn't got it myself so not sure it will help, but it might be worth checking it out...
  • Options
    As a Ex-User of Beta 2 you will have been emailed a Product Key for your copy, that you should of downloaded FROM microsoft.
  • Options
    Firstly, piracy on the whole is bad. Piracy of an OS is pathetic, IMO.

Secondly, why bother pirating when you can get it easily - and free - direct from Microsoft?
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Piracy of an OS is pathetic, IMO.

Ever thought that some people can't summon £200 out their arse just to upgrade to the lastest OS?

Although yeah, Vista is free legally from MS, but say when XP came out... alot of folk still had 98... and with products such as games starting to become XP only (Doom 3, for example)... some folk can't afford the latest OS with its stupidly high prices.
  • Options
    If you have an OS already, then you don't need the latest and greatest. And if you do need the latest and greatest, then you don't have to buy Windows. There are many free operating systems available these days.

Even when a new OS ships from Microsoft, they'll gladly give you a 120/180-day trial version for free. You can reinstall this up to 10 times, giving you ample time to save up for your purchased version.

No excuse for pirating an OS. None at all. Something you use on an infrequent basis, then fine. But something you need in order to use your computer? Feel free to try and justify it. Then justify why it would be okay to steal a processor. :)
  • Options
    If you have an OS already, then you don't need the latest and greatest. And if you do need the latest and greatest, then you don't have to buy Windows. There are many free operating systems available these days.

Even when a new OS ships from Microsoft, they'll gladly give you a 120/180-day trial version for free. You can reinstall this up to 10 times, giving you ample time to save up for your purchased version.

No excuse for pirating an OS. None at all. Something you use on an infrequent basis, then fine. But something you need in order to use your computer? Feel free to try and justify it. Then justify why it would be okay to steal a processor. :)

I think once I purchases Windows once... I should receive free updates to the latest version. Not have to pay again and again to get a new one.

If Windows like all other software cost £30 a pop, ok. But no. It is about £200 a pop. So cock off with it. Fuck, even MS Flight Sim gives you half price on the new one when you have the older version.

You NEED the latest Operating System if you are to be able to use the latest software. It's a fact. Yes, there are free alternatives. No, they don't run the latest software.

Processors are not as overpriced as Windows. My processor was infact cheaper than windows. Far, far cheaper. And it runs the latest programs fine. Are you actually trying to deny how stupidly overpriced Windows is? Also, my processor didn't explode and die causing extreme data loss when I installed service pack 2. (On my GENUINE version of Windows.) So I downloaded a pirate version with SP2 already integrated once I reinstalled the cunt. Also has a few changes for stability which is nice.

It also doesn't have a faulty upgrade filesystem function causing for file system to actually die and lose everything... which is a problem across all versions of XP, google confirmed this. AFTER I had done it... you know... I expected my supplied expensive softare to work. That was a stupid idea...
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    I think once I purchases Windows once... I should receive free updates to the latest version. Not have to pay again and again to get a new one.

So, if you buy a new car once, they should give you a new car every three years for the rest of your life?
    If Windows like all other software cost £30 a pop, ok. But no. It is about £200 a pop. So cock off with it. Fuck, even MS Flight Sim gives you half price on the new one when you have the older version.

WinXP OEM can be had for £60 without too much looking. £30 if you only need a licence, and not the install media. But feel free to pop along to PC World and buy retail - because you'd obviously also do that with your hardware...
    You NEED the latest Operating System if you are to be able to use the latest software. It's a fact. Yes, there are free alternatives. No, they don't run the latest software.

Need it? Then PAY FOR IT. Free alternatives run the latest software - but I think you're on about different software. My system is free and 100% up to date - everything installed is the latest version.
    Processors are not as overpriced as Windows. My processor was infact cheaper than windows. Far, far cheaper. And it runs the latest programs fine. Are you actually trying to deny how stupidly overpriced Windows is? Also, my processor didn't explode and die causing extreme data loss when I installed service pack 2. (On my GENUINE version of Windows.) So I downloaded a pirate version with SP2 already integrated once I reinstalled the cunt. Also has a few changes for stability which is nice.

I don't agree with paying for Windows, nor do I agree with supporting Microsoft. So I do the decent thing and vote with my feet. I think that £30-£100 is a fair price for an OS that will last for several years - which it does. Processors cost largely similar amounts to Windows, and are useful for about as long. How can you say that they aren't overpriced, but Windows is?
    It also doesn't have a faulty upgrade filesystem function causing for file system to actually die and lose everything... which is a problem across all versions of XP, google confirmed this. AFTER I had done it... you know... I expected my supplied expensive softare to work. That was a stupid idea...

Right. So, instead of paying for defective software, or pirating defective software, use something else.

And I've still seen absolutely no justification whatsoever for using a pirated operating system.
  • Options
    you won't catch me paying for windows anyway..
  • Options
    ^Because you wait until nobody is looking, and leave before allowing the world to see you pay for rubbish software?
  • Options
    nope i just dont do it
  • Options
    Cars - are not as badly overpriced. This is quite blatantly shown by the way GM and Ford can't even turn a profit these days and are losing money, FAST. Processors are not as badly overpriced either, but more so than cars.

And anyway. You are asking me to justify theft, which I cannot do. You mgiht as well ask for the moon on a stick.

I pointed out my reasons, enjoy them. The Latest games take time to emulate to other OS's... if I wasn't a gamer, I can assure you I'd be using Linux right now. But I am not, I want my games when they come out. Sadly with softare companies like MS in cahoots with Game manufacturers, it won't happen for a long time.

If games still ran on 98, I'd be using it too. But XP is required now.

At the end of the day, £90 I can't be fucked to buy i t on its own. Retail offers the package with the software I want and is easiest, but that is £241 cheapest I can get it. Fuck that tbh.

Let's put it a different way. A person who is very poor is wrong in stealing a new pair of trainers - their old shoes are fine and do the job. But they want this new pair because they are more compfortable and less worn out. They don't NEED them... but you are hardly going to lock them up for the same amount of time as a car theif.

Fuck it though - your mind is made up and so is mine. I can see your argument, I hope you can see mine. Maybe when I have a job and have £250 to waste in my back pocket, I'll buy Windows. But by that time it'll probably cost £1000, so I won't. But inflation is another matter entirely.
  • Options
    Why pay for something when you can get it for free?
  • Options
    Why pay for something when you can get it for free?

*Empties your bank account*

Rofflez ;p
  • Options
    You don't pay for money :p.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    No excuse for pirating an OS. None at all. Something you use on an infrequent basis, then fine.
    What about an OS you use infrequently? :D

The reason I don't pay for windows is simple: Never giving money straight to microsoft. You'll ask why use their products then, and the reason is that I do want to play games and that's the only way.

As for the difference between pirating an OS and stealing a processor (or a car)? Simple: 1st) There are alternative processors and alternatice cars that can do the same the one you don't want does and 2nd) If you steal a processor or a car, someone else will miss it.
  • Options
    Has anyone heard about Windows 98?

See, a lot of computers cant run windows XP, so they use win98, ok so far? Well, a new vulnerability in windows 98 has been identified (and it wont take long for the cracker freaks to exploit it in so many ways), and microsoft have said they wont be fixing it - if you want a good OS you will have to upgrade to XP. Even if your computer wont run it - in this case, upgrade to XP and buy a new computer.

I've nothing against bill gates, I think he's very community minded - gives a lot to charity etc. But some of microsofts customer service 'ethics' seem a bit mean to me.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Cars - are not as badly overpriced. This is quite blatantly shown by the way GM and Ford can't even turn a profit these days and are losing money, FAST. Processors are not as badly overpriced either, but more so than cars.

GM and Ford are struggling because they currently face a rather different future to the one they had envisaged. The needs, and desires, of customers are changing, and rather quickly - which they aren't able to adjust to, because they have so much girth and such a small rudder. But thats another story entirely...

What makes you say that cars aren't overpriced? I'll bet there isn't £1500 of raw materials in a brand new £30k car.
    And anyway. You are asking me to justify theft, which I cannot do. You mgiht as well ask for the moon on a stick.

I pointed out my reasons, enjoy them. The Latest games take time to emulate to other OS's... if I wasn't a gamer, I can assure you I'd be using Linux right now. But I am not, I want my games when they come out. Sadly with softare companies like MS in cahoots with Game manufacturers, it won't happen for a long time.

There is growing support for the porting of games from one OS to another. It's a slow moving ship, but it is gaining momentum. :)
    If games still ran on 98, I'd be using it too. But XP is required now.

At the end of the day, £90 I can't be fucked to buy i t on its own. Retail offers the package with the software I want and is easiest, but that is £241 cheapest I can get it. Fuck that tbh.

Fine. But it doesn't have to cost £241. As I said before, you can get an OEM copy for well under £100, which - in my opinion - isn't much at all for the most fundamental piece of software on your computer.
    Let's put it a different way. A person who is very poor is wrong in stealing a new pair of trainers - their old shoes are fine and do the job. But they want this new pair because they are more compfortable and less worn out. They don't NEED them... but you are hardly going to lock them up for the same amount of time as a car theif.

My trainers were £15 three years ago. They have probably been worn for two-thirds of the time since I bought them. Sure, a new pair would probably be in better condition, and more comfortable. But it wouldn't make it right for me to steal them - regardless of how poor I was. Now, if I had no shoes at all, and needed to walk to the hospital to see a dying relative, then there would be a somewhat viable argument for stealing a pair of shoes ;).
    Fuck it though - your mind is made up and so is mine. I can see your argument, I hope you can see mine. Maybe when I have a job and have £250 to waste in my back pocket, I'll buy Windows. But by that time it'll probably cost £1000, so I won't. But inflation is another matter entirely.

My mind is only made up because OS piracy is completely unnecessary, yet people still try to justify it. :)

Woo! Another person to discuss with :D.
    What about an OS you use infrequently? :D

Fine. If all one does is boot into Windows to play games, then that doesn't bug me so much. It's still wrong, but Microsoft have virtually locked programmers into writing for their OS, and their OS alone. :)
    The reason I don't pay for windows is simple: Never giving money straight to microsoft. You'll ask why use their products then, and the reason is that I do want to play games and that's the only way.

Which, obviously, makes everything alright then ;). Vote with your feet - walk from Windows. Every time a game is released that you would have bought, write to the developer and publisher and tell them that they aren't getting your £30 or whatever because they don't support your OS of choice. The more people shout, the more likely they are to get heard. Eventually... ;)
    As for the difference between pirating an OS and stealing a processor (or a car)? Simple: 1st) There are alternative processors and alternatice cars that can do the same the one you don't want does and 2nd) If you steal a processor or a car, someone else will miss it.

1) There are alternative operating systems that can do the same as Windows - in the same way that a Fiat Punto will never be a rally car, and a Porsche will never be a double-decker. All have four wheels and transport people from A to B. Windows, Linux, *BSD, OSX - they all let you get on the internet, write documents, play games.

2) Steal anything, and it'll be missed somewhere down the line. Whether or not you, as an individual, hurt the pockets of the manufacturer/developer/blah is another story.

Don't get me wrong here - I pirate, and I pirate quite regularly. But not something I use every day. Not a fundamental part of my computer. Microsoft pissed me off too many times, so I walked. I download a lot of music - if I listen to it on a regular basis, then I'll buy it. If the CD is poorly mastered, then I won't. But I'll continue to listen to my illegal copy.

I'm far from being perfect. I shouldn't do what I do. But I can justify it to myself, as you lot can with your pirated operating systems. But what I pirate doesn't form the basis of my involvement with my computer.

The more people sit back and pirate, the more likely things are to stay the same. Even if OS pirates ditch Windows and move to something else, Microsoft will start to take notice - they already have a reducing market share. The more users they lose, the more they'll start to listen to their customers gripes.
  • Options
    Has anyone heard about Windows 98?

See, a lot of computers cant run windows XP, so they use win98, ok so far? Well, a new vulnerability in windows 98 has been identified (and it wont take long for the cracker freaks to exploit it in so many ways), and microsoft have said they wont be fixing it - if you want a good OS you will have to upgrade to XP. Even if your computer wont run it - in this case, upgrade to XP and buy a new computer.

I've nothing against bill gates, I think he's very community minded - gives a lot to charity etc. But some of microsofts customer service 'ethics' seem a bit mean to me.

But Win98 is donkeys old, and was pretty crap to start with. And, if folk are sitll using Win98, then they aren't very likely to be playing games. So just move over to Linspire or something - it'll be far more up-to-date, likely run better on their hardware, and they'll be able to put their fingers up at MS.

:)
  • Options
    damnit, this arguing is to fun. I want to destroy your arguments more.
    GM and Ford are struggling because they currently face a rather different future to the one they had envisaged. The needs, and desires, of customers are changing, and rather quickly - which they aren't able to adjust to, because they have so much girth and such a small rudder. But thats another story entirely...

What makes you say that cars aren't overpriced? I'll bet there isn't £1500 of raw materials in a brand new £30k car.

There are not any raw materials in Windows. Are you saying it should be free? Just as it takes intelectual work to make an OS, it takes alot of said intelectual work to make a car. In the capitalist world, this costs money. As does the labour force, etc etc, which must all be accounted for in the cost of a car.
    There is growing support for the porting of games from one OS to another. It's a slow moving ship, but it is gaining momentum. :)

But it isn't there yet so I do NEED Windows to play my games. I have NO CHOICE.
    Fine. But it doesn't have to cost £241. As I said before, you can get an OEM copy for well under £100, which - in my opinion - isn't much at all for the most fundamental piece of software on your computer.

If I want it to come with the things I do want it to come with, and be a straight easy install without cunting about with everything, yes it does. OEM is fine... but I really CBA with finding a driver for every single thing ever.
    My trainers were £15 three years ago. They have probably been worn for two-thirds of the time since I bought them. Sure, a new pair would probably be in better condition, and more comfortable. But it wouldn't make it right for me to steal them - regardless of how poor I was. Now, if I had no shoes at all, and needed to walk to the hospital to see a dying relative, then there would be a somewhat viable argument for stealing a pair of shoes ;).

No, go baarefoot Theft is unjustifiable. End of. But in some cases it is quite understandable, such as me not paying through the nose for an overpriced OS.
    My mind is only made up because OS piracy is completely unnecessary, yet people still try to justify it. :)

All theft is unjustifiable by your argument, which it is. Just some cases are very legitimate and we would let people off.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    damnit, this arguing is to fun. I want to destroy your arguments more.

But you just make yourself look more silly each time. Feel free to continue ;).
    There are not any raw materials in Windows. Are you saying it should be free? Just as it takes intelectual work to make an OS, it takes alot of said intelectual work to make a car. In the capitalist world, this costs money. As does the labour force, etc etc, which must all be accounted for in the cost of a car.

Have I even hinted that Windows should be free because it has no raw materials? Cars are a product. Want them? Use them? Pay for them. Windows is a product. Use it? Pay for it.
    But it isn't there yet so I do NEED Windows to play my games. I have NO CHOICE.

You are choosing to play games. You do not NEED to use Windows - you CHOOSE to play games that only run on Windows.
    If I want it to come with the things I do want it to come with, and be a straight easy install without cunting about with everything, yes it does. OEM is fine... but I really CBA with finding a driver for every single thing ever.

Do you have the slightest idea about what the differences are between retail and OEM?
    No, go baarefoot Theft is unjustifiable. End of. But in some cases it is quite understandable, such as me not paying through the nose for an overpriced OS.

So it is understandable for you to pirate, but not for someone to steal shoes to visit a dying relative?
    All theft is unjustifiable by your argument, which it is. Just some cases are very legitimate and we would let people off.

I'd never let you off for stealing an OS. OS theft isn't justifiable by anyt stretch of the imagination.
  • Options
    But Win98 is donkeys old, and was pretty crap to start with. And, if folk are sitll using Win98, then they aren't very likely to be playing games. So just move over to Linspire or something - it'll be far more up-to-date, likely run better on their hardware, and they'll be able to put their fingers up at MS.

:)

:confused:

What about people who have an old pentium 133mhz they just use for downloading and sending emails? They've already handed over cash for windows 98 which was bought with the promise of support in case it was bugged. They just found another bug, but said if you want it to work you'll have to get XP. Will a 133mhz processer run XP? Will it fuck.

Or they could all go over to linux, which is oh so simple for people who know nothing about computers and had 98 installed when they bought the computer. Linspire is $100 too or something like that anyway.

I just dont think if people have handed money over for something into MS pockets that MS should turn round and say 'oh, you have to upgrade now because we no longer support it'.
  • Options
    But you just make yourself look more silly each time. Feel free to continue ;).

Ok! ;p

Have I even hinted that Windows should be free because it has no raw materials? Cars are a product. Want them? Use them? Pay for them. Windows is a product. Use it? Pay for it.

I was just pointing out that argument was flawed. Yes,stealing is wrong.
    You are choosing to play games. You do not NEED to use Windows - you CHOOSE to play games that only run on Windows.

And because I make one choice should I therefore have no others? No, according to the Freemarket doctrine I should have many. All that Microsofts dominance over this sector does is prove that the Freemarket and Capitalist ideas don't work. I like this in that sense but I hate in the fact they provide a bad piece of software but I don't have any choice.
    Do you have the slightest idea about what the differences are between retail and OEM?

Well the last time I purchased an OEM version of windows (95) it came with NOTHING except basic mouse, KB, and graphics drivers. Hence I wouldn't again, as I had to spend ages finding everything. OEM = As is, basic product. Retail = OEM but with fancy Extra do-das. (I hear that OEM now doesn't even ahve Media Player. Wtf?)
    So it is understandable for you to pirate, but not for someone to steal shoes to visit a dying relative?

Both are understandable, I didn't say that. I NEITHER is justifiable. Don't try to twist my words. I don't need Windows, you don't need Trainers. End of - you can go barefoot, I can use DOS or Linux if I chose. You can't afford the trainers, I can't afford Windows. In these situations in Todays Capitalist world - both people go without, or break the law. Choice is yours.
    I'd never let you off for stealing an OS. OS theft isn't justifiable by anyt stretch of the imagination.

Nope. But I wouldn't mind so much if Microsoft had the continuity in their range - If I trade in Flight Sim 98 for a newer version, I get money off. By this, if I trade in Windows 98 for a newer version, why don't I get a similar deal?
  • Options
    For all these people who make out stealing a piece of software is so bad i wonder how many of them have ever illegally downloaded an mp3 or tv programs from the net...
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    For all these people who make out stealing a piece of software is so bad i wonder how many of them have ever illegally downloaded an mp3 or tv programs from the net...

Or taken a DVD/VCR to a mates house to watch at a party with a bunch of other mates (which is states is illegal on the box, I beleive.)

Or bought a pirate Video/DVD off the market or from a car boot sale...

Hmm.
  • Options
    :confused:

What about people who have an old pentium 133mhz they just use for downloading and sending emails? They've already handed over cash for windows 98 which was bought with the promise of support in case it was bugged. They just found another bug, but said if you want it to work you'll have to get XP. Will a 133mhz processer run XP? Will it fuck.

What about them? When did Microsoft ever sell a product with the promise of lifetime support or fixes? Win98 is donkeys old now. If you want product support for decades, then move over to IBM, Sun, or something open-source. But everything will drop support after several years.
    Or they could all go over to linux, which is oh so simple for people who know nothing about computers and had 98 installed when they bought the computer. Linspire is $100 too or something like that anyway.

Linspire is $50. Coupons are regularly released which enable free downloads. Linspire was suggested as it is written with non-computer-literate folk in mind. There are plenty of free Linux distributions out there that should be easy enough for folk to install.
    I just dont think if people have handed money over for something into MS pockets that MS should turn round and say 'oh, you have to upgrade now because we no longer support it'.

Would be a valid argument if Microsoft had sold the product with lifetime support. They didn't. 8 years out of an OS is good going in anyones book.
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    I was just pointing out that argument was flawed. Yes,stealing is wrong.

That what argument is flawed? I used the car comparison because you were expecting support forever - nobody will give you a free car, boat, house or bowl of nuts every time they get a little bit old.
    And because I make one choice should I therefore have no others? No, according to the Freemarket doctrine I should have many. All that Microsofts dominance over this sector does is prove that the Freemarket and Capitalist ideas don't work. I like this in that sense but I hate in the fact they provide a bad piece of software but I don't have any choice.

You choose to but games that run on a Microsoft OS. You choose to buy the games that run on a Microsoft OS. Dislike Microsoft? Go buy a PS2 or Gamecube.
    Well the last time I purchased an OEM version of windows (95) it came with NOTHING except basic mouse, KB, and graphics drivers. Hence I wouldn't again, as I had to spend ages finding everything. OEM = As is, basic product. Retail = OEM but with fancy Extra do-das. (I hear that OEM now doesn't even ahve Media Player. Wtf?)

Windows supports the majority of hardware available at the time of release. If you buy WinXP now, then it'll likely not have support for the video card, mouse, NIC or USB toaster that were released last week.

WinXP OEM is the same product and WinXP retail, apart from the support package and the licensing key used to activate.
    Both are understandable, I didn't say that. I NEITHER is justifiable. Don't try to twist my words. I don't need Windows, you don't need Trainers. End of - you can go barefoot, I can use DOS or Linux if I chose. You can't afford the trainers, I can't afford Windows. In these situations in Todays Capitalist world - both people go without, or break the law. Choice is yours.

So you don't need Windows then?
    Nope. But I wouldn't mind so much if Microsoft had the continuity in their range - If I trade in Flight Sim 98 for a newer version, I get money off. By this, if I trade in Windows 98 for a newer version, why don't I get a similar deal?

So buy an upgrade, rather than the full-release?
    icey wrote:

I've openly-admitted that I pirate music, and I download films and whatnot as well. But I dont steal the CD or DVD player I need to watch them.
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Or taken a DVD/VCR to a mates house to watch at a party with a bunch of other mates (which is states is illegal on the box, I beleive.)

Do what you want with what you buy - you're allowed to watch a film with a bunch of mates. Nobody will care unless you copy the disc for them.
    Or bought a pirate Video/DVD off the market or from a car boot sale...

Hmm.

Legally = bad.

Morally = watch it once and nobody will care. Watch it each day and you should do the decent thing - pay the people who have worked to produce it.
  • Options
    Then whats the difference between pirating an os and pirating a film or music?
    Difference in cost maybe but its the same crime if not worse.
    Windows gets upgraded every few years and practically all software developers jump ship and make their stuff work optimised on the new os. older versions of windows dont really stand a chance when running new software so why should computer users have to pay for a game then pay an extra £200 to be able to play it? imo downloading music is a much bigger crime because its not as if you need to download this music, no doubt you have plenty of cds or tapes that you can listen to - you dont need the latest songs. (as per the arguments of a few people)
  • Options
    You choose to but games that run on a Microsoft OS. You choose to buy the games that run on a Microsoft OS. Dislike Microsoft? Go buy a PS2 or Gamecube.

What I am saying is... apparantly I SHOULD have options, I don't.
    So you don't need Windows then?

I don't need my house or my clothes, so no, I don't need windows. I don't even need a job.
    Do what you want with what you buy - you're allowed to watch a film with a bunch of mates. Nobody will care unless you copy the disc for them.

Says no Public showings of the film.
    Legally = bad.

Morally = watch it once and nobody will care. Watch it each day and you should do the decent thing - pay the people who have worked to produce it.

Same with Windows IMHO. If I could afford it, I wouldn't pirate anything. I buy things when there is nothing else to buy and I have the cash I have pirated.

Legally = Bad
    Morally = Doesn't really matter, isn't cutting into their profits in a major way (Most of it is from businesses anyway).

And I doubt anyone will buy Vista anytime soon after release - its system specs are insanity for an OS.
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    Then whats the difference between pirating an os and pirating a film or music?
    Difference in cost maybe but its the same crime if not worse.
    Windows gets upgraded every few years and practically all software developers jump ship and make their stuff work optimised on the new os. older versions of windows dont really stand a chance when running new software so why should computer users have to pay for a game then pay an extra £200 to be able to play it? imo downloading music is a much bigger crime because its not as if you need to download this music, no doubt you have plenty of cds or tapes that you can listen to - you dont need the latest songs. (as per the arguments of a few people)

I download loads of music. If I like it enough to use it regularly, then I'll buy it. If I only like a couple of songs, then I generally don't bother. If I like the music but the CD is poorly mastered, then I'll not bother.

To me, it has nothing to do with the cost. It's about crap quality music and crap mastering quality on the mediums I can purchase.

I have(had!) hundreds of pirated tapes. Yep, when I was 14, and had a passion for music but couldn't afford it, I was a nghty little chappy. I'd rent out music from the local library and tape it on a VERY regular basis. But I've seen the error of my ways, and I don't get £10 per month pocket money these days, so I can do the decent thing.

I may have been pirating the music, but I paid for my CD player, and my tape deck. And this is my main gripe with the folk in here who are trying to justify the use of a pirated OS - it is a fundamental part of your computer. Without it, your computer would be useless, and as such, it should be paid for.

75% of my music collection is paid for, in a collection of CDs. But it's all ripped and stored on the PC - the rest of the music on the PC is downloaded. Some legally, some illegally. But I do what is - to me - the correct thing to do. If I use it regularly, then I pay for it.

Some people in this thread seem to thing they have a ride to take a free ride when it comes to the parts of their hobby that are easy to pinch - and it shouldn't be like that. As I've said before, trial versions of XP are available. It's been out long enough to be installed legally on every PC out there. As far as I'm concerned, there are no excuses for OS piracy 5 years after it was released.

Or am I missing something? Really?
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    What I am saying is... apparantly I SHOULD have options, I don't.

But you DO have options. You can play the game on an alternative format. You can refuse to play games that lock you into a particular OS, or format. But you choose not to.

[quoteI don't need my house or my clothes, so no, I don't need windows. I don't even need a job.[/quote]

You're just becoming braindead now mate. Clothes keep you warm and alive. A house protects you from the savage of animals, and stops you becoming weathered, or getting skin-cancer. A game serves no purpose other than to give you a dose of entertainment.
    Says no Public showings of the film.

A showing in your house with your friends is a different interpretation of 'public' - those notices refer to the playing of films in a pub.
    Same with Windows IMHO. If I could afford it, I wouldn't pirate anything. I buy things when there is nothing else to buy and I have the cash I have pirated.

If you're buying the games, then you can afford to pay for the one piece of software that turns your PC into something usable.
    Legally = Bad
    Morally = Doesn't really matter, isn't cutting into their profits in a major way (Most of it is from businesses anyway).

Thats only partially true. 500,000 pirated copies of Windows in homes is the same as 10 corporations using pirated software. It'll amount to £2.5 million - hardly something other than 'major', by any stretch of the imagination. One person makes no difference. But you, as only one person, are part of a far larger gathering. The size of that gathering represents a huge amount of unpaid-for software, and it is 'major'.
    And I doubt anyone will buy Vista anytime soon after release - its system specs are insanity for an OS.

I certainly hope they don't. Vista looks crap, and XP is sub-standard when compared to everything else out there. I don't like Microsoft on so many levels, and I've been unable to recommend Windows to anyone for the last 3 years. But they still developed the software that performs a rather vital part of your computer, and you choose to use it. And for that, you should pay for it.

I'm backing down now - not because I've suddenly realised that I'm wrong, or because anyone has made me look stupid. But because I guess I've said all I can, I still believe my point-of-view on this matter is sound and correct. But I've said pretty much all I can, and anything further will fall on deaf ears :).

Besides, I've got illegal music to sample :eek2: ;).
  • Options
    You're just becoming braindead now mate. Clothes keep you warm and alive. A house protects you from the savage of animals, and stops you becoming weathered, or getting skin-cancer. A game serves no purpose other than to give you a dose of entertainment.

You are aware illegal music affects the makers much more than pirates OS's or software, btw, right? Anyway, yeah, all than can has been said. Except on the above...

I don't need clothes. I can fashion something that will let me survive outof animal hide - as caveman did. I don't need a house - it is very possible to survive without one. Or else Humanity wouldn't exist. All I need is some form of shelter - Homeless people do it. Cave dwellers did it.

Yes, games are entertainment. I don't NEED them - and I don't REALLY need to buy anything, ever, I can survive without it. It is all choice.

See, thats the thing I was pointing out. No-one NEEDS anything.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    You are aware illegal music affects the makers much more than pirates OS's or software, btw, right? Anyway, yeah, all than can has been said. Except on the above...

Depends on the extent of the piracy. My particular piracy hurts them less than you'd think - I buy pretty much every album I like, unless the mastering is awful :). And then I refuse - how dare they sell me a CD with sub-CD quality recordings on it ;).