Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Roy Keane Retires

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Unkucky Tims. What a fucking waste of money he was.
  • Options
    Unkucky Tims. What a fucking waste of money he was.

That's what I thought. And more to the point, why did Celtic buy a player who was 34? Surely, they would've known he's probably only last one or two seasons...
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    That's what I thought. And more to the point, why did Celtic buy a player who was 34? Surely, they would've known he's probably only last one or two seasons...

Except he wasn't bought. They got him for fuck all. I think they were aware that he only had the one season left in him, two stretching it. They won the SPL, he played his part and fulfilled a life-long ambition. Good for all parties IMO.

I thought he would've announced retirement after his testimonial, it was always on the cards.

He's one of the greatest players to ever grace these islands, and he can look back on his career with pride. He's a United legend, up there with the very best.
  • Options
    Some stupid Tim was on the news earlier.

"Ah thunk he was a pure good servant fur the time wu hid him fur, by ra way!"

Yes, I'm sure everyone connected at Celtic is forever indebted to him for the 13 games he creaked through in the 4 months he was there. Oh what a contribution he made.

Good player, can't really say much for him as a human being *shrug*
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I'm glad.

The bloke is a Class A cunt.
  • Options
    Boo hoo. Shame someone didn't force him to retire through injury a lot sooner.
  • Options
    I have to say that sometimes personality supercedes skill and it does so in this case.
    Maybe one of the greatest midfield players ever, but people will always remember the bad stuff.
    Same with Maradona for instance.
  • Options
    Addict wrote:
    Except he wasn't bought. They got him for fuck all. I think they were aware that he only had the one season left in him, two stretching it. They won the SPL, he played his part and fulfilled a life-long ambition. Good for all parties IMO.

I thought he would've announced retirement after his testimonial, it was always on the cards.

He's one of the greatest players to ever grace these islands, and he can look back on his career with pride. He's a United legend, up there with the very best.

Aye, but they were paying him about 45 grand a week. Could have been much better spent.
  • Options
    migpilot wrote:
    Maybe one of the greatest midfield players ever

:lol:

Would you like a biscuit?
  • Options
    Aye, but they were paying him about 45 grand a week. Could have been much better spent.

Fuck it, who cares what he did at Celtic. It was one last hurrah.

He'll be remembered for being the best midfielder the premiership has ever seen and one of the most decorated.
  • Options
    JsT wrote:
    I'm glad.

:thumb:
    :wave: bye bye keano
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote:
    :lol:

Would you like a biscuit?

Have you got McVities? :)
  • Options
    migpilot wrote:
    I have to say that sometimes personality supercedes skill and it does so in this case.
    Maybe one of the greatest midfield players ever, but people will always remember the bad stuff.
    Same with Maradona for instance.

Nah, it's only bitters in this country that see it that way. Roy Keane is a respected player worldwide and will go down as a legend.

Maradona is seen worldwide as probably the best player ever as well. Only in England, is his name tarnished so much, for obvious reasons.
  • Options
    JsT wrote:
    I'm glad.

Agreed :thumb:
  • Options
    Addict wrote:
    Nah, it's only bitters in this country that see it that way. Roy Keane is a respected player worldwide and will go down as a legend.

Maradona is seen worldwide as probably the best player ever as well. Only in England, is his name tarnished so much, for obvious reasons.
    Well actually getting thrown out of the world cup for being a drug cheat didn't do his worldwide reputation any good, to be honest.
  • Options
    Addict wrote:
    Fuck it, who cares what he did at Celtic. It was one last hurrah.

True, I just think it's funny as fuck. Anything that leaves the Tims in the shit is fine by me.

Can't wait to see their midfield next year. Keano's away, Petrov wants to fuck off along with Nakamura and that ginger cunt Lennon still hasn't decided what he wants to do. Brilliant!
  • Options
    Well actually getting thrown out of the world cup for being a drug cheat didn't do his worldwide reputation any good, to be honest.

Well he's still seen as the greatest player ever for his conquests before it went downhill.
  • Options
    Legend.
  • Options
    Addict wrote:

What life-long ambition would that be?
  • Options
    What life-long ambition would that be?

......to play for celtic, duh.......
  • Options
    ......to play for celtic, duh.......

He was a Spurs fan as a kid. He never had any desire to play for Celtic until the idea of a final pay-day came up.
  • Options
    He was a Spurs fan as a kid. He never had any desire to play for Celtic until the idea of a final pay-day came up.

i don't know what club he supported as a kid, but you're wrong about the last bit because i remember him saying he wanted to end his career at celtic park, and that was 6-7 years ago, i know i wasnt exactly shocked when i found out he'd gone there, i think a lot of utd fans were worried he'd go there earlier......
  • Options
    i don't know what club he supported as a kid, but you're wrong about the last bit because i remember him saying he wanted to end his career at celtic park, and that was 6-7 years ago

He's not as stupid as he seems, really.

The most impressive thing about Keane was his consistency over the years for Man Ure - he was a workhorse that held an amazingly successful midfield together, rather than an amazingly skilled player. He realised a few years back that the time would come when his legs would go, and he wouldn't be able to hack it at Premiership level - so let's put out the feelers early and find another club where he'll be worshipped no matter what he does, by rather gullible, simple minded supporters.

Ta-da!

Not doubting he's a United legend (partly because he's appealed to the sizeable knuckledraging element) but as far as talent goes, in no way should his name be uttered in the same breath as Maradona.
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote:
    He's not as stupid as he seems, really.

The most impressive thing about Keane was his consistency over the years for Man Ure - he was a workhorse that held an amazingly successful midfield together, rather than an amazingly skilled player. He realised a few years back that the time would come when his legs would go, and he wouldn't be able to hack it at Premiership level - so let's put out the feelers early and find another club where he'll be worshipped no matter what he does, by rather gullible, simple minded supporters.

Ta-da!

Not doubting he's a United legend (partly because he's appealed to the sizeable knuckledraging element) but as far as talent goes, in no way should his name be uttered in the same breath as Maradona.

You're right there, can't get more gullible that the Bigot Brothers. Strachan didn't even want to sign him, he was forced by the Board IIRC.
  • Options

Nah, he may have supported spurs but almost every young catholic irish boy has a soft spot for celtic. They all dream of playing for celtic!

I don't think anyone was comparing him to Maradona skillwise as that would be stupid, but when he was at the peak of his game, there was noone better in the world. He's a legend because he's one of the greatest midfielders the country has ever seen and he's won every major club honour in his career.
  • Options
    Addict wrote:
    I don't think anyone was comparing him to Maradona skillwise as that would be stupid, but when he was at the peak of his game, there was noone better in the world. He's a legend because he's one of the greatest midfielders the country has ever seen and he's won every major club honour in his career.
    He's a legend at Man Utd, thats it. He's a dirty, cheating bastard to every other clubs fans he's come up against.
  • Options
    He's a legend at Man Utd, thats it. He's a dirty, cheating bastard to every other clubs fans he's come up against.

Every other club, that would have killed for half the player.

He's a great whatever way you look at it.
  • Options
    Addict wrote:
    Every other club, that would have killed for half the player.

He's a great whatever way you look at it.
    He's a great to you cos your a scum fan.

If he played for Leeds he would be a great to me probably, but I only see him as a cheating, dirty scumbag. He's no great in any way shape or form in my eyes.
  • Options
    Well it's good job for Keano that when players are being judged on their greatness, the opinions of bitter rival fans tend to be ignored.

It's not just United fans who see him as a great. Anyone who can appreciate good football, and great players, would know Keane's a great, regardless of who they support. I don't see Keane as a great because he played for United, I and many others see him as a great because he's one of the greatest midfield players the country's ever seen.
  • Options
    Addict wrote:
    It's not just United fans who see him as a great. Anyone who can appreciate good football, and great players, would know Keane's a great, regardless of who they support.

Just ask Vieira.