Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Thesite.torrent

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
TheSite.org, in the coming month or so, will be planning to torrent our first free podcasts in a big batch - so that we can be all - look at us, were all 2.0 *swish* and show that torrent isn't some evil thing, just a good distribution service.

I was wondering if anyone would be up for donating a few k from their uploads to help seed the file when it goes live?

Comments

• Options
    spammer!

.... sure ;)
  • Options
    Yup sure. :)
  • Options
    K if I'm not playing WoW ;) I don't know how to limit the upload speed you see. That should teach me for using crap clients :p
  • Options
    I've no idea what any of that means. :o
  • Options
    I'll be a seeder.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    I've no idea what any of that means. :o
    true. wassat mean?
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I'll try!
  • Options
    i will seed
  • Options
    if my pc is up and running i will seed but sadly only with a 10kb/s limit
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote:
    if my pc is up and running i will seed but sadly only with a 10kb/s limit

It all helps, seeders are only needed to have one complete version of the whole file so it can get 'out there' so to speak.
  • Options
    Don't youthnet have like billions and billions of gigabits of redundant unlimited connectivity anyways? ;)

edit: but yeah, I'll seed.
  • Options
    prepare for lots of

"omg wot is bittorrent???"

"where do i download this?????"

"why isnt it downloading??????"

"lol dis is all so confusing!!1!!"

e.t.c
  • Options
    Answer them now then, and you won't get the questions :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    zomg Torrent ;D
  • Options
    bacon wrote:
    seems a bit cheeky to me, shifting the cost of distribution onto the users rather than yourselves.

plus its not really a podcast if it's a torrent, as it won't be updating automagically?

Well charities often ask for help from volunteers, and I don't see why we wouldn't ask in this situation. We obviously aren't requiring anyone to do this, in the same way as all of our content is free and you don't really think we'd not be seeding it through our servers as well do you?

As to the podcast / torrent - as you can see we're already distributing the podcasts through RSS, this would be an alternative method of distribution.
  • Options
    And besides, the main point isn't to have people seed as the main point of distribution, it's to simply provide an increase in the number of seeders / leechers in order to highlight any possible torrent (hardly gonna hit a top ten list on mininova with 1 seeder for the first few hours)
  • Options
    i wish i had the even the faintest idea what your all on about.
    remember ...i've only recently mastered pocket tanks!
  • Options
    sure, i'm aimnig to get a new server soon, i'll seed no problem.
  • Options
    it's a club kind of?
    where a load of guys get toghether and hand over their seed?
  • Options
    It's a method of online distribution, which tends to be used for sharing large files (normallyy movies and tv shows). A program (Bittorrent) allows users to shar files, but much more effectively than in the Kazza days - because torrents allow people to share bits of the file (hence bit torrent) before they have the whole file. So we're looking for people to help share the file to increase it's popularity and support anyone who might want to get the download.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    It's a method of online distribution, which tends to be used for sharing large files (normallyy movies and tv shows). A program (Bittorrent) allows users to shar files, but much more effectively than in the Kazza days - because torrents allow people to share bits of the file (hence bit torrent) before they have the whole file. So we're looking for people to help share the file to increase it's popularity and support anyone who might want to get the download.
    what file?
    whats in it?
    is it big?
    is there only one?
    would you like me to seed you jim?
  • Options
    Just early days Roll, you not heard our podcasts?

http://www.thesite.org/multimedia
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    Just early days Roll, you not heard our podcasts?

http://www.thesite.org/multimedia
    heard of yes ...and my son in law downloads off bit torrents ...thats the some total of my knowledge.
    why would the site want a bit torrent ...is it so we can all exchange somethinbg?
    i've heard martins podcast in the drugs forum ...are there more?
  • Options
    Did you actually click the link mate?

The idea is to bundle up them, once we have more, and seed them as a torrent as an alternative method of distribution for the mp3 (see the link)
  • Options
    Which tracker will you use? Or will you make your own?
  • Options
    We're not at that stage of suggestions yet - but pirate is still open isn't it?
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    Did you actually click the link mate?

The idea is to bundle up them, once we have more, and seed them as a torrent as an alternative method of distribution for the mp3 (see the link)
    yeah.
    i'll just follow the thread as best i can.
    why you need seed is totaly beyond me.
    why you need ...i'll just follow the thread.
  • Options
    Seeders are people who have the complete set of files, and are therefore only uploading to other poeple.

Leechers/peers are people who have none, or parts, of the set of files, and are therefore uploading to other leechers/peers and downloading at the same time.
  • Options
    Seeders are people who have the complete set of files, and are therefore only uploading to other poeple.

Leechers/peers are people who have none, or parts, of the set of files, and are therefore uploading to other leechers/peers and downloading at the same time.
    how can any of us ...have parts of jims file?
    or does he send them to you ...or parts of?
    and then ...when a few of you have all the bits spread around between you ...i can acsess the whole thing as one?
    if so ...why would jim need to do that?
  • Options
    how can any of us ...have parts of jims file?
    or does he send them to you ...or parts of?
    and then ...when a few of you have all the bits spread around between you ...i can acsess the whole thing as one?
    if so ...why would jim need to do that?
    "BitTorrent is a protocol designed for transferring files. It is peer-to-peer in nature, as users connect to each other directly to send and receive portions of the file. However, there is a central server (called a tracker) which coordinates the action of all such peers. The tracker only manages connections, it does not have any knowledge of the contents of the files being distributed, and therefore a large number of users can be supported with relatively limited tracker bandwidth. The key philosophy of BitTorrent is that users should upload (transmit outbound) at the same time they are downloading (receiving inbound.) In this manner, network bandwidth is utilized as efficiently as possible. BitTorrent is designed to work better as the number of people interested in a certain file increases, in contrast to other file transfer protocols.

One analogy to describe this process might be to visualize a group of people sitting at a table. Each person at the table can both talk and listen to any other person at the table. These people are each trying to get a complete copy of a book. Person A announces that he has pages 1-10, 23, 42-50, and 75. Persons C, D, and E are each missing some of those pages that A has, and so they coordinate such that A gives them each copies of the pages he has that they are missing. Person B then announces that she has pages 11-22, 31-37, and 63-70. Persons A, D, and E tell B they would like some of her pages, so she gives them copies of the pages that she has. The process continues around the table until everyone has announced what they have (and hence what they are missing.) The people at the table coordinate to swap parts of this book until everyone has everything. There is also another person at the table, who we'll call 'S'. This person has a complete copy of the book, and so doesn't need anything sent to him. He responds with pages that no one else in the group has. At first, when everyone has just arrived, they all must talk to him to get their first set of pages. However, the people are smart enough to not all get the same pages from him. After a short while they all have most of the book amongst themselves, even if no one person has the whole thing. In this manner, this one person can share a book that he has with many other people, without having to give a full copy to everyone that's interested. He can instead give out different parts to different people, and they will be able to share it amongst themselves. This person who we've referred to as 'S' is called a seed in the terminology of BitTorrent. "

Sorry if that's a bit waffly! From here.

Basically, you get the bits you DON'T have from the seeds or peers who DO have them. In this way, everybody shares with eachother. The seeds have the comlete files, so they can share the whole thing. To start with, people will download directly from thesite. They then 'seed' the files by making the bits they've downloaded available to others for downloading.

I'm not very good at explaining this stuff sorry!