Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The pictures you don't see

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
A mate just emailed them to me, and I felt compelled to pass them on.

Comments

• Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Aye. Moving. The Human side of the soldiers... most of the guys are alright lads.

A few always let the side down though.
  • Options
    :thumb: A timely reminder.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Aye. Moving. The Human side of the soldiers... most of the guys are alright lads.

A few always let the side down though.
    But not because they are soldiers, but because people are like that.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    But not because they are soldiers, but because people are like that.

Well obviously not because they are soldiers. A small group lets the football fans down... a small group lets the police down.

A minority of people can be right cocks when they try.
  • Options
    OMG now I feel completely differently about war and stuff. i didnt realise soldiers liked cats too!
  • Options
    Well, I'm glad you've changed your mind. But that wasn't really the point. I'm not really sure I had one, just that, like the police here, and nurses and doctors they get a lot of abuse for doing a hard job. Except, unlike the police and nurses and doctors you don't see the human side, it's all marching in neat rows and looking shiny and well groomed or looking dangerous or whatever. So while some of them are a little bit cheesy, it doesn't alter that they're just blokes doing a job.
  • Options
    they are, but they still go round killing people for money.
  • Options
    Harsh.

You obviously don't know anyone in the army.
  • Options
    Hey, soldiers are human too!
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Harsh.

thats the job description

or do people join the army to travel as they advertise, i think not

i was considering joining the armed forces fully aware i'm basically being paid to kill people, and i decidfed not to after a long thought
  • Options
    That cat stroking dude is an israeli...hes just lulling it into a false sense of security so he can put it in his pot along with arab babies.
  • Options
    I was going to join the army, that was my whole plan, my primary consideration was not "Yey, now I get to shoot guns at people and be paid for it!"
  • Options

Behave yourself , Suzy, telling the truth can get you in trouble ;)
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Harsh.

Yeah ive known plenty of people in the army, I live in a major garrison town.
    Its true. Soldiers are trained to fight and kill people and they get a fairly good wage for it.
    Im surprised you didnt know that tbh.
  • Options
    I thought soldiers were trained to protect our country. Obviously that is going to involve training to kill people in the event of war. And the wage isn't that amazing, not for your average Infantry soldier anyway - I think I earn more in my office call centre job.
  • Options

I guess you're unfamiliar with peacekeeping and humanitarian operations.. :rolleyes: Those in our armed forces do not 'go around killing people for money' - they're not mercenaries or hitmen.
  • Options
    It's not really the point about what the army in itself does, it's the reasons why people join. It's grossly unfair to ignore the other, and often for a recruit, more important reasons for joining.
  • Options
    I thought soldiers were trained to protect our country.

I could only guess where you got that "thought" from.

I guess you're unfamiliar with peacekeeping and humanitarian operations.. :rolleyes: Those in our armed forces do not 'go around killing people for money' - they're not mercenaries or hitmen.

Let me,for one, know what you are talking about.

What would you say is " a hitman" ?

What would you say is " a mercenary" ?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    I was going to join the army, that was my whole plan, my primary consideration was not "Yey, now I get to shoot guns at people and be paid for it!"
    Scarily enough Fiend, that is a very real situation in some nations. Probably not here though.
  • Options
    I thought soldiers were trained to protect our country. Obviously that is going to involve training to kill people in the event of war. And the wage isn't that amazing, not for your average Infantry soldier anyway - I think I earn more in my office call centre job.
    Fair point, but exactly how are soldiers protecting "our" country in Iraq? I'm sure the citizens of Haditha are thrilled to have such fine, upstanding moralistic men looking after their interests.

Those photos are blatantly posed and Western-media friendly. Nice thought in posting them, but the reality is far different.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Scarily enough Fiend, that is a very real situation in some nations. Probably not here though.
    Some, maybe, but here it what I was going for.
  • Options

So soldiers aren't there to do the bidding of the government? You might want to rethink that one.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    It's not really the point about what the army in itself does, it's the reasons why people join. It's grossly unfair to ignore the other, and often for a recruit, more important reasons for joining.

True. A lot lads join to get a job and a trade cos there's not a lot of other job opportunities.
  • Options
    Yeah ive known plenty of people in the army, I live in a major garrison town.
    Its true. Soldiers are trained to fight and kill people and they get a fairly good wage for it.
    Im surprised you didnt know that tbh.

Its a pretty shite wage when you think to earn it you may spend six months of the year away from home, working sixteen hour days with people taking pot shots at you.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    True. A lot lads join to get a job and a trade cos there's not a lot of other job opportunities.

You know, I wasn't really expecting that kind of response from you.

Most of the boys that join up aren't thinking that sooner or later you'll have to shoot someone, or they'll shoot you, or your mate. Whether the boys are operational somewhere they shouldn't be or not, the people that they kill, tend to be the ones that'd sooner kill them, accidents happen, but the british army have a really good record when it comes to civilian casualties.

They join the army for similar reasons to my own. For me, it was the fast fast track to Chartered Engineers status, it was uni for free. For them, it's getting away from their home town, it's the mates, it's the jobs you can get after, it's the adventure. It's not killing people for money.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

people join for lots of reasons. Thats certainly one of them. Boredom with working a '9-5' civilian job is another, old fashioned patriotism, a wish to travel and see the world, sporting opportunities, family links, perhaps even a bit of romanticism.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    You know, I wasn't really expecting that kind of response from you.

Just goes to show how little you pay attention. I've posted similar before.
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Most of the boys that join up aren't thinking that sooner or later you'll have to shoot someone, or they'll shoot you, or your mate. Whether the boys are operational somewhere they shouldn't be or not, the people that they kill, tend to be the ones that'd sooner kill them, accidents happen, but the british army have a really good record when it comes to civilian casualties.

They join the army for similar reasons to my own. For me, it was the fast fast track to Chartered Engineers status, it was uni for free. For them, it's getting away from their home town, it's the mates, it's the jobs you can get after, it's the adventure. It's not killing people for money.

A lot of the time it could be viewed as economic conscription. Fuck all jobs, no educational opportunities - join the army!
  • Options
    That wasn't the case for me, and isn't for all the armed forces scholarship and OTC guys on my course.
  • Options
    It was like that for some mates of mine. A class thing - the OTC and scholarships don't tend to be working class lads from deprived areas.
  • Options
    No absolutly, I'm just saying it's not universally true.