Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

14 years in jail for possessing 10 joints' worth of pot

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Why am I not surprised...
  • Options
    It's tough. If someone wishes to take drugs and kill them selves they should be allowed since it's not hurting anyone else but then again the state should not promote this in my opinion.
  • Options
    The state freely promotes the consumption of alcohol which has far greater proven harmful interpersonal and medical effects upon both individuals and society than does cannabis.

The suggestion that something is harmful to others by reason of its illegality is faulty logic indeed. State repression throughout history, the world over, is rooted in the ciminalisation by the few (who will readily hold themselves above the laws thay enact) of matters (both acts and items) which affect noone other than the individual him/herself but which have drawn the moralistic or, most often, economic attention of those seeking to impose their view on others.

How interesting that the few here so adamantly insisting on the primacy of "the law" above that of the natural rights of the individual in this instance are likely to be the loudest to condemn the laws of other states as repressive and unjust.

Seems the law is a virtue unto itself only when imposed by OUR leaders.

The actual cause for the criminalisation of cannabis is entirely an economic matter of market monopolisation in the synthetic fibres sector by powerful chemicals giants going back to the mid to late 1940's. Not remotely due to personal or societal safety.
  • Options
    The state freely promotes the consumption of alcohol which has far greater proven harmful interpersonal and medical effects upon both individuals and society than does cannabis.
    Only because it's so easy to get hold of. Plus people don't frone on alcohol as much as those who take drugs.
  • Options
    The suggestion that something is harmful to others by reason of its illegality is faulty logic indeed.

No it's not, we all know the criminal underground connected with drugs.

Now, I'm not saying that I necessarily agree that the laws are fair, nor am I denying that it's a fact that more deaths are caused a year by alcohol abuse and connected incidents than by illegal drugs combined. It still my opinion that breaking the law and giving the government more reason to be harsh isn't the way to go about getting the law changed. As it stands the public at large are still against drug use, and that's what needs to be dealt with. The general public need educating properly.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Yes you are, it and illegal trade, and like every illegal trade, like those in weapons or people, it's based in crime.

Nice line of circular arguing there. Its based in crime because its illegal. Well duh. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    It's tough. If someone wishes to take drugs and kill them selves they should be allowed since it's not hurting anyone else but then again the state should not promote this in my opinion.

Why do you associate taking drugs with killing yourself?
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    Only because it's so easy to get hold of. Plus people don't frone on alcohol as much as those who take drugs.

frone? :confused:
  • Options
    I think he meant frown and i think when he said killing himself he was refering to the fact that most illegal drugs (along with many prescribable ones) are harmful if used often enough.

Even Weed though considered harmless can be as bad for your lungs as smoking is and can lead to paranoia and other mental problems in later life.

Either way, if you want to use them and it doesnt harm or interfere with another, i dont care if you do use them.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    No it's not, we all know the criminal underground connected with drugs.

Now, I'm not saying that I necessarily agree that the laws are fair, nor am I denying that it's a fact that more deaths are caused a year by alcohol abuse and connected incidents than by illegal drugs combined. It still my opinion that breaking the law and giving the government more reason to be harsh isn't the way to go about getting the law changed. As it stands the public at large are still against drug use, and that's what needs to be dealt with. The general public need educating properly.
    as a practising christian if i'm not mistaken ...would you still read a bible if they became illegal?
    would you still prcatice your faith if it became illegal or just ditch it?
    gay people didn't and would never have gotten oppresive laws against them changed in anyway by becoming celibate.
    we sometimes have to take a stand and fight.

as for you luke ...your just making a complete fool of yourself.
  • Options
    Yes I would, but then the crime associated with drug trafficking and the criminal underworld isn't limited to just getting drugs in the country and taking them. I would hope, and have confidence, that all that would be involve in illegal christianity, would be christianity, and not any of the gun crime, violent crimes burglary etc that are associated with supporting drugs.
  • Options
    Whose fault is that then?
  • Options
    My word, it's not about fault, it's about fact. The way things are, are the way things are, it's not about who caused it, it's about how to solve it. I'm saying here and now, that I think the best way to solve it is to change the opinion of the general public, because while the government still have their support, they can give you life for 10 joints worth and you can whistle for your law change.
  • Options
    I agree that we need to change the opinion of the masses. In the meantime however (and sadly the 'meantime' bit could mean our lifetimes) I shall not refrain from taking recreational substances if I feel like it.
  • Options
    Then you must deal with the consequences, because it's the way it is.
  • Options
    I fear I have no choice in the matter anyway.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Well. All I have to say now is:

TBH, it won't stop people smoking pot or indeed, taking any drugs. It'll just mean more innocent people are locked away. Thats all I have to say on the matter.

I would like to point out that you have no reason to think I am connected in any way to this image, at all. I could just have found it online.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Well. All I have to say now is:

TBH, it won't stop people smoking pot or indeed, taking any drugs. It'll just mean more innocent people are locked away. Thats all I have to say on the matter.

I would like to point out that you have no reason to think I am connected in any way to this image, at all. I could just have found it online.

What a terrible roll! ;)
  • Options
    Nash wrote:
    What a terrible roll! ;)

If it's been passed around, you know you wouldn't refuse it :p
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    If it's been passed around, you know you wouldn't refuse it :p

Just one drag then! I very rarely touch the stuff these days though, kinda grown out of it.
  • Options
    Nash wrote:
    Just one drag then! I very rarely touch the stuff these days though, kinda grown out of it.

Fair enough mate. Once the novelty wears off... I guess ya get bored of it!

A little now and again for novelty value alone ;p And 14 years in the nick. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Why do you associate taking drugs with killing yourself?
    From what I have seen people weho take drugs end up in a early grave.
  • Options
    Not to mention people who don't exercise, eat fast food, drink or smoke.
  • Options
    Yes, but people who eat crap, don't excercise, drink excessivly and smoke are all encouraged to do the opposite...
  • Options
    But not banned from doing it and jailed if they disobey.
  • Options
    What's your point? We've already established that it's the way things are, not necessarily fair.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    From what I have seen people weho take drugs end up in a early grave.

Have you ever thought that your experience might be fairly limited?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    My word, it's not about fault, it's about fact. The way things are, are the way things are, it's not about who caused it, it's about how to solve it. I'm saying here and now, that I think the best way to solve it is to change the opinion of the general public, because while the government still have their support, they can give you life for 10 joints worth and you can whistle for your law change.
    it should be about blame.
    how the hell are the genearal public to be told the truth about illegal drugs without exposure to them?
    the government have spun out lies for a generation about drugs ...they have gone against every scientific medical and social study going.
    they continue to fill the publics mind with lies ...well the public and even the police are now seeing those lies more and more for what they are by ...mpore and more public exposure to the truth.

it's the way it is ...is quite scary.
    some guys in suits can decide that i'm to be criminalised and locked up ...for sitting at home having a smoke :crazyeyes
  • Options
    and lets face it fiend ...you wouldn't be willing to break the law cos it involved no criminals ...you would breal the law cos you wanted to.
    cos you wanted to continue doing what you do.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Yes, but people who eat crap, don't excercise, drink excessivly and smoke are all encouraged to do the opposite...

Erm and who's encouraging who to do drugs? Absolutely no one, it's the fact that drug use is illegal that we get pissed off about.

And I see Luke is back to his old ways! :rolleyes: