Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Accident in Buckinghamshire

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just saw this on the news, about the little girl hit by a car, flung in the air, ended up with 2 broken legs and 2 operations, and the driver didn't stop. Subsequently, 6 cars drove past without one of them stopping to help even though the girl was lying on the road injured....

Here's the story...
http://www.itv.com/news/index_1111321.html

Fucken hell!!!
6 cars, kinda of a representation of what kind of people we have become!!

Punishments for something like this surely must be on the same level as attempted manslaughter or whatever?
Shocking!!

Comments

• Options
    I live in Aylesbury. Im really not suprised theres a lot of cunts in Aylesbury and this makes me think even more so. Its a nasty little place.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Terrible. I really do hope they didn't ignore her and actually were distracted... because if they did... they are pure scum.
  • Options
    I heard about that this morning and couldn't believe that it took so long for someone to stop and help.
  • Options
    I was completely shocked too, its disgusting!
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Its the sad reality of the way this country is going.
  • Options
    Apparently it was a 30mph road as well..so it wasnt as if they didnt see her
  • Options
    Can't peple get sued in this country for "No-assistance of p[erson in danger"?

Cos we can do that in France, if you are in trouble or have an accident and people don't do anyting to help you when they can obviously you can sue them...
  • Options
    \
  • Options

Cos we can do that in France, if you are in trouble or have an accident and people don't do anyting to help you when they can obviously you can sue them...

Going a bit off topic but..

With laws like that do you have to be French? If I was in France and NMM saw me get run over and left me in the middle of the road could I sue him, even though I am British?
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    I live in Aylesbury. Im really not suprised theres a lot of cunts in Aylesbury and this makes me think even more so. Its a nasty little place.
    I wonder what road it was on, for some reason I'm seeing it on the buckingham rd, between the texaco station and the top of the hill with three roundabouts, know where I mean?
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    No, that's a European thing that doesn't exist in Anglo-American law.

Some American states do have the law saying you must help and cannot be a person who stands by and does nothing. It isnt uncommon, but i think Seinfeld last ever episode was all about it.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    I'm pretty sure you could as it happened in France, but it's more than that. It's not just that you could sue him (you could probably sue him here), it's that he could be prosecuted for failing to assist. That is a crime that exists on the continent but not in the UK or USA, so although people might think you're a morally reprehensible person, you can't face criminal proceedings for failing to help.

Hmm interesting, thanx :D
  • Options

With laws like that do you have to be French? If I was in France and NMM saw me get run over and left me in the middle of the road could I sue him, even though I am British?
    No you don't have to be French. Like with any other such law, it applies to anyone who is in the country or territory in question regardless of their nationality.

In Spain there is such law as well and many people have been prosecuted. To be honest I thought that was such law here as well: 'failing to stop and give assistance at an accident' or something like that.
  • Options
    \
  • Options

IIRC:
    A person can only get done for this type of offence if they're in an official position (police, fierfighter, doctor, etc) even if they're off-duty.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Well that makes sense, really, in that they might have a chance of doing some good whereas a regular bystander might make a fatal mistake in an accident scenario and no one wants to get into that kind of situation when they could've just idly passed by while rubbernecking.

I think it's terrible to just bypass the scene of an accident, but in many cases there wouldn't be a lot you could do anyway if we're being realistic... and our initial reactions to a lot of scenarios are often less than ideal :(
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    Well it's a crime for failing to stop if you were involved. Not if you're just a bystander though. (I'm pretty sure that's right, but no doubt I'll be corrected if I'm wrong!)
    That's true.

Doctors don't have to stop at accidents. Though of course they normally would. I know of GP who stopped after an old lady fell over on the pavement. Several cars in front of him had driven past without stopping.
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    I think it's terrible to just bypass the scene of an accident, but in many cases there wouldn't be a lot you could do anyway if we're being realistic... and our initial reactions to a lot of scenarios are often less than ideal :(

Even if there wasn't a great deal you could do I'd still stop. Make sure they're alight (well as best they can), call an ambulance, try and keep them warm etc...
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Freudian typing again James? Twice in one day!
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    Make sure they're alight?!
    Yeah burn the bastards.

I clearly meant alRight. Clearly my R key decided not to function in this circumstance.
  • Options
    thats absolutely shocking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :shocking:
    but just wanted to say its still a law in the uk that everyone in the nearest village must respond to a hue and cry, the medieval law still exists and its a crime to ignore it.
  • Options
    I personally don't see anything wrong with a law punishing anyone for failing to stop at the site of an accident if there is nobody yet helping.

At the end of the day they could be saving one or more lives if they stopped to assist- and thus they could contribute towards somebody's death if they didn't.
  • Options

Bad example cos NMM would come to the rescue! :yes:
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I personally don't see anything wrong with a law punishing anyone for failing to stop at the site of an accident if there is nobody yet helping.

At the end of the day they could be saving one or more lives if they stopped to assist- and thus they could contribute towards somebody's death if they didn't.
    Because it's not something you should have to do. When I did my St John's first aiders they made it very clear to us that we should never feel compelled to help someone if we weren't comfortable with it. Obviously practical assistance as might be given there is different than pulling over and ringing for an ambulance. And as far as I'm concerned helping someone if morally correct. But I don't think you should force someone by law to do something like that, it doesn't work.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    I disagree. Mainly because if you make it law you have to specify exactly what is required from someone.

If there is an accident, do they have to stop and ring an ambulance? What if they don't have a mobile, or credit or battery, do they still have to stop?

If they have the ability/capacity, do they have to give medical assistance? How much? Do they still have to give it if the victim of the incident is bleeding? Are they allowed to decide when the victim is beyond resucitating? Or do they have to continue chest compressisions etc until an ambulance arrives?

If there is more than one person in trouble, which one do they legally have to help first? It it by age, or apparent injury? Or does it not matter?

If someone is on their way to the hospital because a member of their family is in trouble, do they still have to stop?

The list goes on and on and on. Again, helping is as far as I'm concerned the morally correct thing to do. But it cannot be legally enforced.
  • Options
    \