Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

how heavy

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
just how heavy is 30kilos? can you compare it to something?

Comments

• Options
    30 bags of sugar. 30 litres of water. :)
  • Options
    Bout 4 stone me reckons.
  • Options
    30 bags of sugar. 30 litres of water. :)

damn i knew someone would do that

jsut something im buying is 30kilos and i dunno if i can carry that. basically then its half of me =/
  • Options
    30 kilos aint all that heavey unless you're carrying it for long distances.
  • Options
    up my stair case, also you know those 2ft lnog by 1ft wide concrete covered on the streets? that go over things like telephone cables? how heavy are they? i tired caryying oen with a mate, we only got it about 7 meteres before we had to let go.
  • Options
    Dunno, lol what you doing anyway? Sounds like you're hatching a devious plan or sorts.
  • Options
    well with the concrete cover it was to cover a fire we'd managed to start and couldnt put out :o

the 30milos is the wieght of a new server i bought thats being shipping here, postage i have to pay is £1 a kilo :(
  • Options
    softworld wrote:
    damn i knew someone would do that

jsut something im buying is 30kilos and i dunno if i can carry that. basically then its half of me =/

A jerry-can full of fuel, then add on a little. A pair of good, big loudspeakers. A 5-stone child - I guess an average 5-7 year old?

30kg isn't heavy - most people should be able to lift it with relative ease. Carrying it any kind of distance is likely to be more demanding. :)
  • Options
    should be okay then because i need to get it upstairs and under the desk. As if the mother sees a 30 kilo server sitting in the hall, she will be less than pleased.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    softworld wrote:
    should be okay then because i need to get it upstairs and under the desk. As if the mother sees a 30 kilo server sitting in the hall, she will be less than pleased.
    Should be a piece of cake!
  • Options
    Yeah 30 kilos isn't loads. I know that in Argos, they warn you if you buy anything that's over 20 kilos. I know this because when I bought a set of 20kg weights, the guy that served me was required to tell me that they weigh 20kg (well duh). It depends on the shape more than anything. I had to carry a TV cabinet to my flat once, and that was about 20kg, but it was just a pain in the arse because it was big and flat, and it was windy.
  • Options
    its about 4 and a half stone. About the weight of an average 7 year old.
  • Options
    A very well packed schoolbag :grump:
  • Options
    The shape of it could be more of a problem. I bought something weighing 11kg a while back and the way it was packaged make the weight really dificult to carry. But I can trek for days with far more weight than this in a back pack as the weight goes on the hips not the wrists.
  • Options
    I disagree with the people saying that 30KG is not heavy. I think that if you gave most people a 30KG weight they would tell you that it's heavy.

However, it is liftable by most folk I would guess, assuming the weight is evenly distributed and the shape isn't akward. Carrying it for miles and miles would be another issue entirely.
  • Options
    well i'm about 50 kilos and i'm round the 8 stone mark
  • Options
    Yeah, its all about the shape of it really...

I remeber I had to carry a fish tank from my ex's car, to her room... it was quite a big one, not too heavy though.... but because it was really long, I kinda lost it as I went through the front door... the front glass paine shattered everywhere!!
    Seriously I wanted to shout the relationship's over and just fucking run!! She was not best pleased!

If your carrying a 30k PC, it will be easy! Its an easy shape to carry in your arms and put the weight against your chest.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    I disagree with the people saying that 30KG is not heavy. I think that if you gave most people a 30KG weight they would tell you that it's heavy.

i agree. earlier in the year, my dog weighed in at 26kg and it took two people to lift her into the car

now she is 22.6kg (super slimmer of the year or what???) and it's still a struggle lifting her on your own. with a less awkward shape (and one that doesn't wriggle!) it might be easier to lift, but i still wouldn't say it was at all light.
  • Options
    well its a large 3-4U rackmount server. a Proliant. its mostly a big metal box, shouldnt be too hard right?
  • Options
    If your worried, I'm sure you could find a big strong oiled up man to do it for you :flirt:
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    If your worried, I'm sure you could find a big strong oiled up man to do it for you :flirt:

Sorry, I cant... im washing my hair! :D
  • Options
    JamesZero wrote:
    Sorry, I cant... im washing my hair! :D

Darn :(
  • Options
    the strong oiled up man should be the courier if i can trick him with promises of cookies and gratitude to lift it atleast into the house. if not i'l lget one of the NI guys here to help :p
  • Options
    As already said 30 kilos isnt that heavy, take it you have never weightlifted before
    But weight lifting weights are the right shape to be gripped and lifted and you do a particular lift in a controlled way using whichever muscles that lift was designed for so it is quite safe. Moving something of 30kg with a possibly awkward shape is far more of an issue and poses much greater safety risks.
  • Options
    30kg is a lot. A 30 kilo suitcase would be a struggle for most people. You could manage it upstairs, but I wouldn't carry one around an airport - I love airport trolleys anyway. :D
  • Options
    I find it much easier to manoeuvre a 100kg gearbox then a heavy, quality TV. 30kg in itself isn't all that heavy for the average adult male.

It's a 4U server? Bung it on your shoulder. :)
  • Options
    a 100kg gearbox
    Is that how much they weigh? :eek: Or are we talking juggernaut gearboxes?
  • Options
    100kg gearbox
    That's more than two of me!!!
  • Options
    It's a 4U server? Bung it on your shoulder. :)

It'd be like carrying half of myself, plus i've a slender and delicate frame, it'll crush me under its boxyness.
  • Options
    Nonsense! Ever seen those poor souls in third-world countries who carry masses of water on their heads?

Go have a manicure, or a pedicure. Get a real man to sort it for you. :p