Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Eyeshadow question

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've always worn very natural neutral eyeshadow. Maybe something with a nonexistant hint of shimmer if I'm feeling sassy ;) But I'm always buying those make up kits, mainly becasue I can't pass up a good deal, and for the lip gloss and nail polish :p So I've got a good 50 shades of eyeshadow...

I was thinking about maybe changing that up, using a bit of color on the eyes. Definatly not a Mimi Bobeck stylee, but a little color. So how do you choose what color? If you've a blue shirt on do you wear blue? I have no clue with it comes to "beauty"

Comments

• Options
    You choose the colour depending on the colour of your eyes and your skin tone. You're not gonna wear flourescent orange eyeshadow because it's the same colour as the top you're wearing :razz:

If you've got brown eyes, then lilacs and purples will really compliment. If you have blue eyes, go for lots of browns.

And Blue eyeshadow is a no-no, on anyone/everyone. :thumb:
  • Options
    You choose the colour depending on the colour of your eyes and your skin tone. You're not gonna wear flourescent orange eyeshadow because it's the same colour as the top you're wearing :razz:

If you've got brown eyes, then lilacs and purples will really compliment. If you have blue eyes, go for lots of browns.

I think it depends actually. I often wear different makeup according to what im wearing, but not necessarily to match it iyswim.
  • Options
    i match mine to what i'm wearing if i have a colour that matches and looks good (blue/purple/black/grey/green). if i don't, i stick to grey. i don't ever wear full-on over the lid colour though, just under my lower lashes and a smudge at the top outer corner.

and blue eyeshadow is awesome, done subtley. it's only when people get a touch of the pat butchers that it all goes to shit.
  • Options
    I think it's a bit of both. I change eyeshadows on what i'm wearing, but also to suit my colouring.

And i've got some bluey grey eyeshadow that is sooooo lush. But i can only use it when i have blue eyes. It looks shit when my eyes are green. Then i use brown/neutral colours.
  • Options

no it's not.

and she can wear any colour eyeshadow she likes! i have brown eyes and i suit brown eyeshadows perfectly thank you.
  • Options
    i have brown eyes and i suit brown eyeshadows perfectly thank you.
    Haha, I wasn't saying she's not 'allowed' to wear browns, I was only suggesting what I've learned :thumb:
  • Options
    what about the blue eye shadow comment? :p
  • Options
    I read a lot of hints and tips from top makeup artists and they all suggest that blue eyeshadow doesn't compliment anyone. And I agree with them!
  • Options
    I quite like blue eyeshadow if it's done properly.
  • Options
    I wear a blue eyeshadow from time to time and always get comments on how nice it is, oh and my eyes are blue too :p
  • Options
    I have blue eyes and have always wanted to try blue eyeshadow. Will have to give it a go!
  • Options
    they haven't got my blue eye shadow on the boots website, it's by maybelline. it's more of a turquoisey blue colour but it's really nice.
  • Options
    I always stick to brown eyeshadow. I'm boring like that :(

I don't know what other colours would suit me to be honest.
  • Options
    I really wanna get some blue eyeshadow and some flourescent orange too. I reckon i could pull it off!
  • Options
    I only wear brown eyeshadow and green when I'm feeling adventurous. I have brown eyes and errr am probably applying it all wrong.
  • Options
    I wear blues, whites, greens, purples and browns and I wouldn't wear them if I didn't think they suited me.
  • Options
    I match to what I'm wearing usually.

At the moment I often mix bright pink and green. I hardly ever wear gold/brown because I dont think I suit them at all. I probably wouldn't wear blue either, flashbacks of when I thought blue eyeliner and mascara looked so cool...i did not look cool.
  • Options
    the eyeshadows i have that i wear
    are: black, various shades of brown, light yellow, bright pink, light pink, dark green, silver, red.
    I do it to suit my mood and my clothes. if its a really bright colour ill just use a little bit along the lash line otherwise it would look clowny.
  • Options
    So how do you know what colors "suit" you? I think everything looks like shit on me so I'll never be able to tell is something works right.

And thanks :thumb:
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    So how do you know what colors "suit" you? I think everything looks like shit on me so I'll never be able to tell is something works right.

And thanks :thumb:

What colour eyes do you have?

I am an eyeshadow fiend, I must have nearly every colour. My eyes are greeny brown, I find the best colour for me is a shimmery gold.

I saw some eyeshadow kits in Boots the other day, with three colours, one for blue, one for green and one for brown eyes, designed to bring out your natural eye colour.

Another thing you can do to add colour easily is use a coloured pencil eyeliner, under your eyes. I use a blue one sometimes.
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote:
    What colour eyes do you have?

I am an eyeshadow fiend, I must have nearly every colour. My eyes are greeny brown, I find the best colour for me is a shimmery gold.

I saw some eyeshadow kits in Boots the other day, with three colours, one for blue, one for green and one for brown eyes, designed to bring out your natural eye colour.

Another thing you can do to add colour easily is use a coloured pencil eyeliner, under your eyes. I use a blue one sometimes.

The trouble is though it also depends on your skin tone I think too.

I have blue/green/grey eyes with brown in the middle. Sometimes my eyes are more green than others but pink really makes them stand out.

Gold doesn't suit me because its starts to look orangey against my skin as i'm pale.

my_name I say just practise or maybe even go down to a big shop and ask at the makeup counter. :)
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Ask other people who are less critical of you than you are? If you have female friends who wear make up you like you could ask them what they recommend onyou as they know your colourings better than we can see from photos and they'll say products that are available wear you live (does Sally Hansen makes eye make up? :p )
  • Options
    I have bright blue eyes and ginger hair, so I find that green tones suit me. I like to wear nuetral colours as brown tends to be too dark for me. I wear eye shadow to suit what I am wearing but it also has to suit my colouring and eye colour.
  • Options
    you know what suits you 'cause you look in the mirror and think 'does this look nice?'. ;):p
  • Options
    you know what suits you 'cause you look in the mirror and think 'does this look nice?'. ;):p

The answer is always no :p

I've got all the eyeshadow I need... every color you could imagine, and no female friends and Ed says everything looks "fine, you know I hate when you ask those kinds of questions" and I hate asking people in stores. I nearly gave myself a heart attack trying to ask a stylist to reccomend me a anti-flyaway serum :o In the end ed had to finish up the question.

Though I should really look and see if they do make eyeshadow, Randomgirl, I bet it would be the best :p;)

(Oh, and blue eyes, meduim brown hair and skin as white as your toilet)
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    The answer is always no :p

I've got all the eyeshadow I need... every color you could imagine, and no female friends and Ed says everything looks "fine, you know I hate when you ask those kinds of questions" and I hate asking people in stores. I nearly gave myself a heart attack trying to ask a stylist to reccomend me a anti-flyaway serum :o In the end ed had to finish up the question.

Though I should really look and see if they do make eyeshadow, Randomgirl, I bet it would be the best :p;)

(Oh, and blue eyes, meduim brown hair and skin as white as your toilet)

I bet the answer isn't always no, i saw a picture of you in the photo thread once (before you removed it) and you look really cute.

What about trying different colours on each eye and see if you get a sense of which looks better then try that. If you arent sure stick with a subtle light colour. I like the effect of putting a darker shade of the colour along the socket line, that tends to suit everyone.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    You know what? Sometimes the one that works is the one you like best, cos you think you look good. Fashion is all relative anyway, how often do our parents cringe now at what they wore when they were hip young things, when at the time they thought they were the bees knees? My mum wore some very bright blue eyeshadow that she wouldn't be caught dead in these days... So pick one or two you like and wear with confidence!
  • Options
    You mean my dad is embaressed of the cowboy boots and bell bottoms... and that moustache :\:p

Good point though. Maybe I"ll wear the orange, or that dark teal :cool:... or probaly just a light pink or something... to show off my blandness :p
  • Options
    Has anyone seen those Barry M glitter pot thingys? (Dazzle Dust?!)

I've got loads of them :heart:

Love the green and proper bright pink ones. Yummy.
  • Options
    LacyMay wrote:
    Has anyone seen those Barry M glitter pot thingys? (Dazzle Dust?!)

I've got loads of them :heart:

Love the green and proper bright pink ones. Yummy.
    Yeah I've seen them and I've been planning on getting a few.