Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Does Experience Matter?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
A lot of people on this website (mainly guys in their early 20's who haven't had a girlfriend yet) seem to want a relationship, just for the sake of having one. I know that it's never a good idea to go out with someone just because the opportunity to have a partner is there. But do you think that the experience of going out with people can make you 'better' at relationships somehow, or 'more mature' as far as relationships go, in a way that general growing up can't give you? Would a relationship with a 20 year-old guy who's had a 2 year relationship in the past be more likely to be successful (or even just more appealing) than a relationship with an identical guy who hasn't ever had a serious (or even any) relationship?

I guess what I'm asking is what do people feel they learn from long-term relationships, that then benefit future relationships, that are things you couldn't learn without having a serious relationship?

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I dont think you necessarily need 'experience' to make a relationship work. What works in one relationship doesn't always work in another.

As for the view that most people on here want relationships 'for the sake' is a bit narrow minded and nowhere near true in my opinion.
  • Options
    JsT wrote:
    As for the view that most people on here want relationships 'for the sake' is a bit narrow minded and nowhere near true in my opinion.
    I didn't say most, I said a lot, usually newbies to be honest. How many times do you read about someone wanting 'a girlfriend' rather than a particular girl? That's what I mean by wanting a girlfriend for the sake of it.
  • Options
    I think people believes relationship give them experience because you do learn how to deal with problems and conflict from being with another person. I'm not saying you should date someone just to get this experience because that is just a waste of our time. But if your in a lon term relationship which does happen to end you do typically learn how to behavior in certain situations. Though I was never in a serious relationship but am in on now and you learn how to communticate as you go not from experience
  • Options
    Yes it is most likely more appealing to go out with someone who knows what they're doing.

I don't think it's nessisarily that simple, however, to base desperation on experience. I think we all (whether we want to or not) want to be accepted (i.e. liked) by another person on a more intimate level simply because it gives us subconscious comfort that this world isn't just a figment of imagination and we're not just wasting our time wandering around all alone.

Some people can handle being alone all of their life. Most likely because they don't think about these psycho-philosophical reasons for why, and therefore don't have much question about the abstracts of the world in general. Either that, or they don't have a very active subconscious.
  • Options
    I think experiencing relationships certainly teachs you a lot of things that can most definately help in future relationships. This doesn't mean you should have one for the sake of it though, you get a gf cos you want one not cos you need one.

I've had 2 long-term (3yr) relationships that were both totally different and I learnt a lot from both. The first was my first love and I got shit on and found it hard to deal with, taking this into the 2nd I really didn't want it to happen again so I kept my "distance" if you get me. I found out this isn't really the way to go either although this time it was the gf that got hurt badly and not me cos she was madly in love and I hadn't let myself get in too deep even though I could have easily done it.

Now I've started seeing a really good friend of mine and I believe the experience of mine and her past relationships will make this one really good and I believe if nothing stupid happens that this one could be forever. I don't think I would be in a situation to say that if I hadn't experienced the 2 previous relationships.

Obviously everyones situation is different and you could be with your first proper relationship forever but in my circumstances my previous realtionships have taught me a lot and I believe will make future relationships better.
  • Options
    I think some people (though maybe not all) like to know you've had that experience. I remember one girl i was getting close to about a year ago. She asked if i'd ever had a serious relationship and in my honesty i said no. The next time i saw her 2 days later she suddenly wasn't interested anymore. Now it might just have been that she didn't like me, but i'm willing to bet it was more than coincidence.....
  • Options
    I can't see how someone can be put off by someone with no experience of relationships? If the reason was that you totally couldn't communicate with anyone then yeah maybe understand it. Apart from that not sure why.

I have had several long term relationships which i learnt from i guess. Mainly that i should never have another relationship again.

Depends on who you are i suppose.
  • Options
    A lot of folk think a relationship is the be all and end all of their existence, as if it's gonna change their life and all their problems will thus dissapear and never be seen or heard of again.

Majority of the time it aint true IMO.
  • Options
    LacyMay wrote:
    I can't see how someone can be put off by someone with no experience of relationships?

me neither. especially at a younger age. maybe if they were 50 and had never had a relationship i'd think it was odd, but not at 20.

i'm mr. kaff's first proper girlfriend, and he is 'better' at relationships than most people i know who've been out with everyone in leeds. and i never have to hear 'well [ex's name] never used to nag me/make me go to family parties/make me clean the loo'.

some people work well together and some don't. experience has chuff all to do with it.
  • Options
    I don't think no experience is so much of an issue, although if I was looking for a boyfriend and came across a guy with no experience with girls I am fairly sure that I would be wondering why.

What would put me off is a guy that has a string of short term relationships, as that suggests that he gets bored easily, although that might not necessarily be the case.

I think experience can certainly give you the confidence to start a relationship, and perhaps a few ideas on how to keep one going, but it really depends on each relationship as to whether they are similar. It's probably more useful in that you learn from your mistakes.
  • Options
    Experience should not 'matter' but in some cases, it helps ...
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    some people work well together and some don't. experience has chuff all to do with it.

Exactly.

My partner is my first boyfriend; he'd been out with a few girls, but all pretty brief affairs, and I was the first he'd slept with, yet here we are, five years on, despite being pretty much novices at relationships.

So compatibility's probably the biggie here. And maturity. Although saying that, I was 18 the first time I kissed a guy and I ended up seeing him for a couple of weeks, the thought of which has constantly caused me deep embarrasment since, because looking back, I didn't fancy him. Didn't even like him hugely personality-wise. I s'pose I just told myself he was a nice guy and liked me, so I should give it a chance. Maybe I'd get to like him more as I got to know him :no: There was no chemistry there, never gonna be any chemistry and I should have just left it at one drunken snog. I feel particularly embarrassed because you'd have thought that being a bit of a late starter, I would have at least had a bit of wisdom with me, instead of going after the first bloke that showed interest, like a bloody 14 year old. Ah well. Mistakes are made. (I don't count him as an ex, as I believe that for him to have been a boyfriend, it would have needed just a teensy bit of emotional involvement, of which I had none!)
  • Options
    Meryn wrote:
    I feel particularly embarrassed because you'd have thought that being a bit of a late starter, I would have at least had a bit of wisdom with me, instead of going after the first bloke that showed interest, like a bloody 14 year old. Ah well.
    I think that might actually be quite common for 'late starters' to just be excited that someone's actually into them, so you go with them purely for that reason, rather than because you actually fancy them. I remember the first time someone hit on me in a club, I spent all night kissing them just because it'd never happened before. If the same person came up to me now (or even then, in regular life, rather than in a club), I wouldn't be interested in the slightest, but at the time I was enjoying the attention.

I think that maybe there's the idea that if you've had a boy/girlfriend, you'll then know "what to do" when someone you really like comes along. I guess it's the same state of mind that makes a few virgins visit a prostitute, so that when it happens for real, they'll know what they're doing.

I think it's the perception that experience is important that is the problem, rather than the lack of experience itself. It's probably more of a problem to the person with the lack of experience (i.e. lack of confidence because they "don't know what they are doing"). Let's face it, by the time you get to a stage in a relationship where you start talking about past relationships, I think it would be kinda shallow for this to be a turn off to your partner. The lack of confidence that may come with this however, may be a turn off.
  • Options
    I think that might actually be quite common for 'late starters' to just be excited that someone's actually into them.

Yup, happened to me too.
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    Speaking of no experience, has anyone seen Tugger round here lately? Wonder where he is, maybe Layla is keeping him busy...
    He got banned.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    If a man or woman has never had a relationship before, it could mean anything. Maybe they haven't met the right person, or they're simply commitment phobes. Last year, I went into the second category. I'd met a truly amazing person, but I got scared, and now I've lost her. I've learnt a lot of lessons from that, and I hope it does help when it comes to a future relationship.

I think the line they use in job adverts is "experience preferred but not essential". It could just as easily be applied here.
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    Why?
    I don't know but I was thinking the same as you a week or so ago and I checked one of his threads and his status has been changed to banned. But when I looked at his more resent posts there was nothing obvious so either they deleted some or just decided he was just another troll.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I think the line they use in job adverts is "experience preferred but not essential". It could just as easily be applied here.
    Yeah, but we all know what happens in that situation don't we? The person with no experience never gets the job over someone who has some. Are you saying that's what happens here? ;)
  • Options
    Yeah, but we all know what happens in that situation don't we? The person with no experience never gets the job over someone who has some. Are you saying that's what happens here? ;)
    It's a flawed comparison, admittedly. Unless... are there women out there who think "two blokes want to go out with me, do I go out with one who's been in a relationship for years, or do I want one who I can train up from the start?". :p
  • Options
    JsT wrote:
    What works in one relationship doesn't always work in another.QUOTE]

True true, no two relationships are the same

Sauce xx

:wave:
  • Options
    Experience doesn't matter to me much, as long as they're grown up.
  • Options
    A lack of experience is sometimes better, because they haven't been hurt before, and therefore can trust more.

She's my first partner and I don't see any problems. And unlike some of exes, I actually trust her.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:

personally i'd be more likely to go with "experience not important as full training will be provided".