Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Are teenaged girls really worse than boys when it comes to binge drinking

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This is something i read today i have to say something does need to be done to stop these girls running their lives and ending up with liver damage, nothing wrong with going out and having a great time, yeah getting a bit tipsy thats something most people have done but those who drink to pass out regulary, not cool. But what do you all reckon are young girls today worse than the boys?

Comments

• Options
    I don't think so. Sure they're both as bad as each other, in a way. But it's seen as a 'manly' thing to be drinking stupid amounts of alcohol and to start drinking at an earlier age. I know my brother started drinking before I did, and has been properly drunk at the age of 16. I'm almost 19 and I've never let myself get more than tipsy (if I can help it!)

So in a way, I think guys are worse, if only by a little. Simply because it's seen as what guys do, drinking beer and lager and what not. It's a way to look good in front of their friends, seeing who can take the most alcohol and what stupid things their friends get up to. I've seen them at parties, some drinking so much they've had to go home and tell their parents they had stomach ache and such.
  • Options
    i think its pretty similar, but the proven point is, that it takes less to get women drunk on average than men
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    i think its pretty similar, but the proven point is, that it takes less to get women drunk on average than men

Point. And proven.
  • Options
    MattMatt wrote:
    This is something i read today i have to say something does need to be done to stop these girls running their lives and ending up with liver damage, nothing wrong with going out and having a great time, yeah getting a bit tipsy thats something most people have done but those who drink to pass out regulary, not cool. But what do you all reckon are young girls today worse than the boys?

Article/link to the crap you're saying?
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    but the proven point is

I'll challenge that
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Article/link to the crap you're saying?

It's genuine. It was in the news, I personally couldn't be bothered looking for it.

Schnap me Baby-Females do get drunk easier than men, they're generally lighter which does affect how quick you get drunk and men are better at absorbing alcohol. It's a fact.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    It's genuine. It was in the news, I personally couldn't be bothered looking for it.

Schnap me Baby-Females do get drunk easier than men, they're generally lighter which does affect how quick you get drunk and men are better at absorbing alcohol. It's a fact.

Yep and I am living proof most weekends! :blush:
  • Options
    Yep and I am living proof most weekends! :blush:

Why not? I say we take advantage of it, while we can! It's cheaper too! Sometimes...
  • Options
    Girls are drinking more than they ever have in the past.

Whether they drink more than men is beside the point really.
  • Options
    I would say I think girls are often a lot "worse" in terms of binge drinking and drinking amounts they can't handle. Purely in terms of the people I've seen in A&E on Friday and Saturday nights, I'd say the drink puts the gals and fists put the lads in there. Of course it's not everyone -- not even close -- but I do think that's the way it's going. I'm not too sure why.

Just speaking on a personal level, I'm pretty awful for frequent "binge" drinking despite knowing how godawful it is and getting into some hairy situations as a result. I don't know any blokes who act anything like the way me and some of my lady friends do... though a lot of them do drink nightly and are often a bit more distracted by the harder stuff when we go out. Which may or may not have something to do with their reduced likelihood of binge drinking and needing to be scraped off the pavement at the end of the night, at least in their cases ;)
  • Options
    At the same time, though, I would point out two things:

1. Kids in surveys lie to appear "cool". That's why 86% of all 12-year-olds have had anal sex whilst smoking crack.
    2. Two bottles of dog on a night and I'm a "binge drinker". Erm.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:

Maybe but I'd still out drink most of you :razz:
  • Options
    Shouldn't teenagers just not be drinking anyway?

So basically... if you're younger than 18 you shouldn't be drinking in the first place, let alone binge drinking. Hence...the question's a little bit silly?

Or am I just a little bit silly?
  • Options
    I'll challenge that

:p
  • Options
    IWishIWas wrote:

Debatable.
    IWishIWas wrote:
    So basically... if you're younger than 18 you shouldn't be drinking in the first place, let alone binge drinking. Hence...the question's a little bit silly?

Nope, binge drinking is a reality.
    IWishIWas wrote:

Yes you are being a bit silly. :p
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Debatable.

Nope, binge drinking is a reality.

Yes you are being a bit silly. :p

Ha ha!!! I give you 50 gold stars and 100 kudos cookies for that, my friend!

Here: :birthday: Enjoy it :yippe:
  • Options
    I saw the artical somewhere...

But the term binge drinking is a load of bollox...
    Im sure I read somewhere that 4 pints or more in one evening is classed as binge drinking... thats stupid... who drinks less than 4 pints on an avarage fri / sat night out!?
  • Options
    JamesZero wrote:
    I saw the artical somewhere...

But the term binge drinking is a load of bollox...
    Im sure I read somewhere that 4 pints or more in one evening is classed as binge drinking... thats stupid... who drinks less than 4 pints on an avarage fri / sat night out!?

I'd probably pass out if i had four pints. I cant handle alcohol!!

Cheap date though :thumb:
  • Options
    Its not strictly the amount per session which is concerning with womens drinking its the frequency, it is much easier and quicker for a woman to become a full blown chemical alcoholic because they have more fat in the body.
  • Options
    When I was a teenage girl I used to binge drink a lot. I don't drink these days.
  • Options
    IWishIWas wrote:

technically no, that's probably why they do it. The novelty wears off once it's legal.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    The novelty wears off once it's legal.

Well, not for everyone. I'm 20 and I know plenty of people who still binge drink regularly and have been doing so for years. Maybe its more 'exciting' when you know you technically shouldnt be doing it, but as soon as you hit 18, it doesnt mean you stop.
  • Options
    Not a completely representative sample, but based on life round me at uni, its the girls that plan to go out and get completely hammered, the guys that plan to go out for a couple.

Drink for drink on average guys will handle it better than girls.

That DOES NOT mean that some girls can't drink more and handle it better than some guys, but just overall.

I would say that Binge drinking among young women/girls is a problem. Its not helped by alcopops that make drinking so easy.

I know that units wise I will always drink more of the e numbery shite then I will pints.
  • Options
    Kat_B wrote:
    Well, not for everyone. I'm 20 and I know plenty of people who still binge drink regularly and have been doing so for years. Maybe its more 'exciting' when you know you technically shouldnt be doing it, but as soon as you hit 18, it doesnt mean you stop.
    i never said you stop...but it seems that people don't do it to look older and cool as much once they're 18
  • Options
    I honestly don't know anyone who drank to look older and cooler, at least in the circles I moved in when I was under 18. A few people smoked to make themselves look "more sophisticated" but the aim with drinking was usually to end up completely ratted and falling out of a seedy pub or sleeping in a bush...or something like that. I'd say you were probably showing your real age by the time you were akip in the hawthorn bush.. :p

I agree that it must be pretty easy to rack up the units on alcopop-style drinks, they go down a lot easier. Still fucking foul though..
  • Options
    I could only manage to drink one alcopop. After that I'd feel sick and bloated. Fucking rotten so they are.

Aye under age drinking for me has always been about getting fucked and not giving a shit!
  • Options
    first time i got pissed i was 16 and i had 1 and a half wkd's and i was fucked.

i think maybe girls are drinking more but it's certainly not out of control! it's all hyped up in the media.
  • Options
    I'm with briggi and turlough on this one. When I was underage I couldn't care less about the law either way. Drinking was just about getting shit-faced and having a good time. My alcohol tolerance was far higher when I was 15 than it is now though as I no longer drink. Which is a good thing as alcohol used to make me violent and randy and unable to say "no, I don't want your cock in my mouth" to random strangers which was never really a good thing.
  • Options
    aye im 16 i go out to the pub with my fnrds every weekend. i got drunk so easily on wkd lik have 3 and away im gone. its the thing to do it wud b an embrassment to go to a disco wit no drink my fnrds wud be like how sad are u?
  • Options
    lisalashe wrote:
    aye im 16 i go out to the pub with my fnrds every weekend. i got drunk so easily on wkd lik have 3 and away im gone. its the thing to do it wud b an embrassment to go to a disco wit no drink my fnrds wud be like how sad are u?

Please don't use text talk.

Am I the only one who, as a teenager doesn't get totally pissed every weekend? :confused: