Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Are Woolies open on a Sunday?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Legally they may trade for 6 hours on a Sunday but may not start selling before 10am and must cease trading by 6pm.

Here in central London the large majority of shops are open 12noon - 6pm on a Sunday.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Half-day on Wednesday? This isn't universities we're talking about, it's shops! :p

Do you not remember half-day opening or something?

You just seem to be playing a bloody awkward game in this thread.
  • Options
    Do you not remember half-day opening or something?

You just seem to be playing a bloody awkward game in this thread.
    Is there some sort of rule on this site that, in every thread I participate on, some idiot has to make an unnecessary and utterly pointless personal attack on me? Fucking hell, all I do is ask questions about Sunday trading, and you leap on me.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Is there some sort of rule on this site that, in every thread I participate on, some idiot has to make an unnecessary and utterly pointless personal attack on me? Fucking hell... :rolleyes:

You are hardly participating with helpful answers.

And I'd prefer it if you didn't call me an idiot as I didn't name-call you. I'm not 12 years old.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Though it might be worth pointing out some stores now open earlier. For example, my local Woolies opens at 9.30am on Sunday. They claim it's a chance to have a look round the store. However, in accordance with Sunday trading laws, you can't buy anything until 10am. So, if you spot a CD that you like at about 9.38am, you have to wait 22 minutes before the sale can proceed. Why not just open at 10am and be done with it already?

tesco opens at 930 for browsing so you can fill your trolley up and then be ready to pay at 10. it saves customers time and means staff aren't sat doing nothing waiting for customers.
  • Options
    tesco opens at 930 for browsing so you can fill your trolley up and then be ready to pay at 10. it saves customers time and means staff aren't sat doing nothing waiting for customers.
    I must admit in that case, it's not a bad idea.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Again, I ask this: can't you go somewhere other than a supermarket? Not everywhere closes at 4pm. And if you wanted to make a cheesecake, you should bought the ingredients earlier. :p

ok where else could we go to buy the ingredients for the cheesecake?
  • Options
    You are hardly participating with helpful answers.

And I'd prefer it if you didn't call me an idiot as I didn't name-call you. I'm not 12 years old.

mr pernickerty! :yes:
  • Options
    Supermarkets in England have to shut at like 4pm on a Sunday?

Fuck that for a bunch of bananas.
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote:

no they don't, but they're allowed to trade for 6 hours and most people seem to have done it by opening 10-4. some open 11-5 or something like that.
  • Options
    wat if as a woman, you came on your period early unexpectadely(sp?) and needed some tampons, but its sunday so you cant get any and because you were early you wouldnt have been prepared. shops dont need to shut early on a sunday!
  • Options
    Mia_16 wrote:
    wat if as a woman, you came on your period early unexpectadely(sp?) and needed some tampons, but its sunday so you cant get any and because you were early you wouldnt have been prepared!

Surely women keep a running supply of tampons anyway?

Or you could improvise?

Or something?

:nervous:
  • Options
    i'm sure one of your friends would have something and you'll probably find something suitable in one of your handbags!
  • Options
    Unless you live in the middle of nowhere theres never going to be nothing around you thats open after 4/5. It'd just be a question of travelling a bit further, or paying a bit more money.
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote:

No, they have to shut by 6pm. But can only be open for a total of six hours and may not start trade until 10am.
  • Options
    Mia_16 wrote:
    wat if as a woman, you came on your period early unexpectadely(sp?) and needed some tampons, but its sunday so you cant get any and because you were early you wouldnt have been prepared. shops dont need to shut early on a sunday!

We have a massive Sainsbury's round the corner and they have this massive vending machine for out-of-opening hours. I'd go there. :D
  • Options
    To be honest I wouldn't want to go shopping if my minge was leaking and I had nothing to stop it anyway, even if the shops were open.
  • Options
    I don't get why the shops are only "allowed" to be open for a certain number of hours. Like WHY? Shouldn't they stay open for as many hours as is profitable?
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    I don't get why the shops are only "allowed" to be open for a certain number of hours. Like WHY? Shouldn't they stay open for as many hours as is profitable?
    Well it was originally so that the staff aren't exploited and get a break etc but I don't think that reason applies so much now. Also the fact that there are different rules for small shops keeps them in business as it is during Sunday closing of big supermarkets that little shops do most trade.
  • Options
    What types of shops have that sunday trading law?
    All except for the little corner shops.
  • Options
    ah, makes more sense.
  • Options
    There has been some talk about abolishing this law though and it has been discussed recently in P&D a fair bit. But it will be the death of the corner shop for sure if it goes ahead.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Again, I ask this: can't you go somewhere other than a supermarket? Not everywhere closes at 4pm. And if you wanted to make a cheesecake, you should bought the ingredients earlier. :p

Most places are shut by 4pm on a Sunday where I live. With the exception of the video store and the petrol station.
  • Options
    ButtonMoon wrote:
    Most places are shut by 4pm on a Sunday where I live. With the exception of the video store and the petrol station.
    Probably because of lack of business. If stores were open longer on Sundays, would they make that much more money?
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Probably because of lack of business. If stores were open longer on Sundays, would they make that much more money?

I reckon they would. Sundays are no different to Saturdays. People will just have more choice when to shop.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Yes. It does not cost that much extra to keep the store open as it does to keep it closed so the majority of large supermarkets would like to stay open more hours but the law prevents this.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    What types of shops have that sunday trading law?

I'm sure it's shops of a certain size only. Not 100% sure though.
    Randomgirl wrote:
    Here in central London the large majority of shops are open 12noon - 6pm on a Sunday.

These are better opening times IMO.